Sudden shutdown R9 390x @ 800w psu

Rainemaru

Commendable
Jun 14, 2017
Hey guys,

Last sunday i was playing a game called dragons dogma i think it was old then suddenly my pc shuts off

I have

I5 6600k
2x8gb kingston hyperx
Powercolor r9 390x
Aerocool strike x 800w 80+ silver
Msi z170a

Nothing is overclocked its a year and a half old system, and i think the problem is the psu, we already tested other psus and the board cpu is working but my psu is dead

My question is do i need a higher watr psu for my build? I mean its just year and a half, and what could be the causes of my psu dying? I always run all my game settings max everything turned on well thanks for the reply guys

Solution
From the PSU Tier list i linked above, feel free to pick any Tier one or Tier two PSU. E.g EVGA SuperNova G2, P2, T2, GS, GQ , PS series or Corsair AX, AXi, HXi, RMi series.

Do note that just because PSU is certified 80+ Gold doesn't mean it also has good or great build quality. For example, EVGA SuperNova NEXG series PSUs are mediocre quality (Tier three) PSUs. Or Aerocool GT-700SG which is low quality (Tier four) despite it's 80+ Gold certification.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
It's not the wattage that killed your PSU, it's the low build quality of your PSU that caused it to die. All Aerocool Strike-X series PSUs are low quality (Tier four) PSUs,
PSU Tier list: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

For new PSU, don't cheap out on it again and go for good quality (Tier two) or great quality (Tier one) PSU in 600W range.
Anything from Seasonic will do just fine,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/Tc3RsY,CfXfrH,R7V48d,nn648d/

All my 3 PCs: Skylake, Haswell and AMD are also powered by Seasonic, full specs in my sig.

The PRIME 650 80+ Titanium i also listed is the best 650W PSU money can buy at current date and my Skylake build is also powered by it. Note: Seasonic PRIME series PSUs are the only PSUs in the world that come with 12 years! of warranty.
review: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/seasonic-prime-titanium-650w-psu,4690.html

Rainemaru

Commendable
Jun 14, 2017

Rainemaru

Commendable
Jun 14, 2017
Hey thanks Aeacus

So i dont need a higher watt psu for my rig then? Im gunning for an AX1200i or a seasonic p1200, thats cost a lot i think but im preparing to have a custom cooling in the future, is it too much? Well my gpu is a hybrid and i have a corsair 120v seidon for my cpu, im really confused because some say my minimum watt req is about 750w

I just cant afford my mobo and cpu getting fried you know its way too expensive if that happens

Thanks

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
For your own peace of mind, you can go with 750W PSU too. There's no harm to it.
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/zTdqqs,cdyFf7,VwR48d,NN648d/

1,2KW PSU, in the other hand isn't efficient enough and there's no point to pay a lot of money for it when maximum of what your system consumes is about 500W. R9 390x is 280W GPU, add the rest of the system at about 200W and total would be about 500W.

1,2KW PSUs are for quad-GPU workstations where GPUs alone consume about 900W.

Rainemaru

Commendable
Jun 14, 2017

Rainemaru

Commendable
Jun 14, 2017
That really helped me a lot, though its hard finding a seasonic where i live, most likely i would find an evga with a gold rating, you think evga would be good? Or corsair? From where i live parts are really hard to find ill be lucky to find a seasonic available

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
From the PSU Tier list i linked above, feel free to pick any Tier one or Tier two PSU. E.g EVGA SuperNova G2, P2, T2, GS, GQ , PS series or Corsair AX, AXi, HXi, RMi series.

Do note that just because PSU is certified 80+ Gold doesn't mean it also has good or great build quality. For example, EVGA SuperNova NEXG series PSUs are mediocre quality (Tier three) PSUs. Or Aerocool GT-700SG which is low quality (Tier four) despite it's 80+ Gold certification.

Solution

Rainemaru

Commendable
Jun 14, 2017

Rainemaru

Commendable
Jun 14, 2017

Rainemaru

Commendable
Jun 14, 2017

Rainemaru

Commendable
Jun 14, 2017
Ive read product descriptions of

Rm850i-supports 4th gen intel
Rm850x-supports 6th gen intel

Im using 6th gen that made me really confused, what is that supposed to mean?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
It only means the CPU sleep states.

As CPUs become better, more and deeper CPU sleep states are added. Intel 6th gen CPUs have C6 and C7 sleep states that consume far less power when you put your PC to sleep. Older PSUs struggle to identify CPU deeper sleep states and when you try to wake your PC up from sleep, you'll get BSoD which is followed by reboot.

If you use PSU that doesn't support C6 and C7 sleep states, you can just disable deeper sleep states from BIOS.
For example, in my MSI BIOS (MSI Z170A Gaming M5 MoBo), i can manually select which sleep state my i5-6600K uses. If my memory serves me well then sleep states on my CPU range from C4 up to C8. While my PC is powered by Seasonic PRIME 650 80+ Titanium, i have no worries about sleep states.

Though, since i also have S12II-520 PSU from Seasonic that doesn't state if it does or doesn't support deeper sleep states, i tested it out by myself. I set each sleep state manually from BIOS, booted to Windows, put my PC to sleep, waited 5 mins and then woke my PC back up. I didn't get any BSoD even if my CPU used C7 and C8 sleep states while powered by Seasonic S12II-520.

Rainemaru

Commendable
Jun 14, 2017

Rainemaru

Commendable
Jun 14, 2017
Hey huge thanks for your replies it saved me a lot of time and money, and i learned new things about psus..

Anyway just to update you, i just bought a seasonic x-850w 80+ gold psu, and do hope this works well this time, its all thanks to you ciao

TRENDING THREADS