[SOLVED] Sudden shutdown while in use. Now computer won't post and possible damage to a number of components.

SteveC74

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
While playing a video game, the computer abruptly turned off and wouldn't reboot properly. The computer is roughly 4 years old. It's connected to a surge protector and there were no storms or power events in the house when it shut down.

My system:
CPU: Intel - Core i7-5820K
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X61
Motherboard: Asus - X99-A/USB 3.1
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500 GB
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Black 2 TB 3.5"
GPU: Sapphire - Radeon R9 290X 8 GB
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850 W

What I've Tried Since:

1. The computer seemed to boot properly on the next start-up (devices were on, noted activity on the drives... etc.), but didn't have any video. After turning it off and then on again, it started to boot, then reset itself and then hung. Third attempt to turn it off and on didn't do anything (motherboard lights were on but no fans spun).

2. Looked in the case and saw that the VGA_LED light was red. Swapped out the GPU with an RX 580 (note: significantly lower TDP than the 290x).

3. Computer booted fine and worked normally for roughly 4-5 hours, then abruptly turned off again.

4. Reboots followed the same pattern noted in #1.

5. Replaced the PSU with a different unit, same make and model, and put the the 290x GPU back in. Confirmed that both PSUs were working with a self-test.

6. Reboots followed the same pattern noted in #1. VGA_LED was red again.

7. Swapped out the 290x for the RX 580. Next reboot had motherboard lights on but no fans spinning, no beep codes, no post... etc.

8. Tried both PSUs in an older computer. Both worked ok.

9. Tried the 290x in the older computer with new power supply. Posted but got beep codes for "no VGA connected". I assume the card is dead.

10. Tried the RX 580 in the older computer with new power supply. The system didn't post, no fans spun, no beep codes... etc. Not sure if this card is dead or not. It's brand new and still under warranty, so i'm going to try and RMA it.

I'm afraid that the motherboard is the issue (something specific to the PCI-E slot as it seems to be damaging my GPUs). Assuming i can get a new RX 580, i don't think i should be installing it in this motherboard. There aren't many 2011-v3 motherboards any more and they're fairly expensive. Even if i get a new board, there's still a chance that the CPU has been damaged (i don't have the means to test it in another system).

Am i really at the point where i need to buy a new CPU and motherboard? Am i missing some diagnostics that i can perform at home to confirm what exactly needs to be replaced?

Thanks.

Solution
sounds like the motherboard has issues on the bus. best way to know is test video card and ram in a different system.
could be the cpu, but doubt it, likely problem is your motherboard.
Had a similar issue after a few years of overclocking my z87 gryphon, similar symptoms, turned out being the motherboard.

gogi

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Bad luck my friend. Im guessing something shorted might be the mb or the old psu which caused some decent damage. First make sure that the RAM is working, that would be my go-to. Otherwise the mb is damaged and its frying your GPUs

SteveC74

Distinguished
May 30, 2011

I tried removing them and moving them around. I also removed the CMOS battery, but nothing changes. It can't post when the RX 580 is connected to the PSU.

I'm not sure how to test a motherboard to confirm that a specific slot is damaged. I'm not keen on potentially sacrificing another GPU in this motherboard.

SteveC74

Distinguished
May 30, 2011

I should have mentioned this... i tried both the 290x and RX 580 in another PCI slot. Same results unfortunately.

SteveC74

Distinguished
May 30, 2011

I was able to test each GPU in another system. The results were the exact same as they were in my system: 290x yielded a "no GPU installed" error code and the RX 580 couldn't post when connected to the PSU.

I think the motherboard destroyed both of them.

TRENDING THREADS