Sudden shutdown, will not boot afterwards

fury420

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
I've been having an issue with random shutdowns on my main build as of recently.

3x in the past month my machine has suddenly shutdown while gaming. Each time I had Diablo 3 running, and was browsing the AH (moderate, but not extreme CPU & GPU load). The shutdown is abrupt, as if I'd pulled the plug out of the socket. The first time it happened, CPU heatsink felt a tad warm. The most recent times, I could not feel anything unusual.

Each time it has occurred, the machine will not power up afterwards. No lights, no noise, nothing. Flipping the switch on my PSU back & forth had no effect, nor did unplugging/replugging the power cable. Waited 5-10min with the machine uplugged, still nothing.

Concerned, I decided to test the PSU in one of my older builds. After hooking it all up, the second machine started up and ran normally. When I swapped it back into my main machine, it started but did a single power cycle/boot loop, POST successful on it's second attempt and BIOS gave me a CMOS error, asking me to pick a profile. After this it ran just fine for the next few weeks.

Last night it happened again. I again swapped the PSU out into my second machine, and it started normally.

I then swapped it back into my main machine, and with the case open & only the mobo & GPU power cables connected I tried to start it and it all lit up and got a successful POST on my first attempt (no HDs connected, nor fan controller/fans).

I then reconnected all my HDs & fans, closed the case back up, moved it back into position and reconnected everything. When I went to start it up again it was all dead again, zero activity after several attempts. Frustrated, I flipped the PSU's switch a few times, replugged the cable a few times, and it sprung to life (like the first time, a single power cycle/boot loop, followed by successful POST & CMOS error and then successful boot). I may have heard an odd electric sparking sound when it sprung to life (can't be certain, TV in background).

It then performed well for the next few hours before I put it to sleep overnight, woke normally this morning and has been running since.

Is it safe to assume the problem is with my PSU? Are there any other possibilities?

My only alternate PSU for testing is the 400w OCZ in my second rig, and it's not adequate to power my 5850+i5 760. I do have a old HD4850 and a 8500GT I could throw in to my main rig to test it's other components using the alternate PSU

Main build w issues:

Intel i5 760 (mildly overclocked to 150bclk before first failure, set back to default clocks afterwards & kept there)
Gigabyte H55M-USB3
8GB G.Skill F3-128000CL9-8GBXL (2x 4GB) @ 1.5v
Sapphire HD5850 xtreme (stock clocks)
Rosewell 650w RP650-2 PSU
OCZ Vertex Plus 60GB
4 Hard Drives (2x 7200RPM, 2x 5400RPM)
No DVD drive
Fan controller with 4 12v fans.

Second build used to test PSU:

Intel Core 2 Duo E5300 @ stock clocks
Gigabyte EP45-DS3R
2GB Kingston DDR2, single stick.
GeForce 8500GT
One 7200RPM drive, no DVD drive
OCZ 400w StealthXStream
one 12v fan

fury420

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Had another sudden shutdown late last night, this time several minutes after I'd stopped gaming.

Had HWmonitor open, and had checked my temps immediately after quitting D3, all seemed normal. Max recorded temps for CPU cores around 60, max GPU temp of 72.

Again, unable to boot the machine back up afterwards, zero response whatsoever to power button. Left sitting 20min unplugged, no change. I then decided to test with my 400w OCZ StealthXStream and Asus 4850. Booted normally, ran fine the rest of the night and today.

A few hours ago I shut everything down to connect an alternate internal HD, and afterwards the machine would not power on, zero response to power button. This seemingly rules out a problem with my 650w Rosewell PSU & 5850 xtreme.

Moved the machine to my workbench, opened it up, tried a diff power cable, still no response. Hunted around for loose wires, checked the power/reset switch wires, no effect.

I then pressed on the main ATX 20+4 pin harness a bit, and on my next attempt the machine started, successful POST. Unplugged it, checked for signs of damage/discoloration, all looks normal.

I.... have no clue WTF to think now. My first thought was it wasn't making a proper connection, which would explain why removing/reinstalling or swapping the PSU seemingly resolves the issue each time, but does not explain why it keeps recurring, nor why it seems tied to overall power draw.

fury420

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010

Nothing recently. I setup a mild overclock (from 133 to 150 bclk) about 8 months ago, was stable.

I set it all back to stock clocks right after the first time this happened, and has been at stock since.

This is the only socket 1156 motherboard I have, my other older build is socket 775.

I believe I've ruled out the power supply/graphics card, as yesterday the machine also would not boot after a shutdown with the OCZ 400w stealthxstream + 4850 from my older build installed.

Will try a CMOS reset

fury420

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Ugh, will not boot again.
Still using the known good OCZ 400w & HD4850.
Unplugging/replugging the 20+4 pin ATX connector had no effect this time.

I'm thinking it's either got to be the motherboard, or something obscure like a grounding/case connection issue

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
yeah... so if you still have coverage on the mobo get that replaced asap... when that is out for replacement check the outlet you get your electricity from to make sure there is nothing wrong(why not just go ahead an replace it[if you know how] http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-T5325-W-Resistant-Receptacle-Grounding/dp/B0012DRL4C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1347315662&sr=8-3&keywords=wall+outlet )

also be sure to check the case that it is insulated correctly so no static electricity

check your psu just to make sure thats not the problem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4

and just check really anything you could think of maybe like the cord from the wall to your computer etc etc

sorry its just a lot of steps... hope they help :D

fury420

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Ok.....

After months of troubleshooting I'm a tad confused.

I still have the occasional random sudden shutdown, followed by failure to boot back up afterwards for some time (zero response to power button)

I've entirely ruled out the PSU and GPU. I then tried to remove & rule out all unessential components, and the system ran for +2 weeks with just my SSD installed without a single issue.

I reconnected the 4 other HDs last night, and it didn't make it 24hrs without a sudden shutdown.

Is it even possible for a failing hard drive to somehow cause a machine to suddenly shutdown entirely (as if power plug pulled) and then fail to turn back on?

All volumes are accessible, so I'm left confused. It's either a HD failure or something motherboard related that occurs only when using more than a single SATA device.

fury420

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Happened again shortly afterwards, and this time I did some troubleshooting immediately after
Disconnecting all drives (both power & SATA) had no effect on the comp not booting up, still no response. I think this rules out an electrical issue with any of the 4 drives themselves preventing post-shutdown boot.

I'm now left with it being either a motherboard issue, a case grounding issue or a CPU issue. (don't have a spare 1156 CPU or board tho)

I noticed something weird tho, at one point when plugging in the PSU's power cord I noticed random flickering from all the mobo's colored LEDs, even though I made no attempt to boot it up. It didn't appear like it was trying to boot, just flickering lights for several seconds. I did eventually get it to boot post-shutdown but this seemed unusual to me, so decided it was time to rule out electrical issues.

To that end, I pulled the board and have it running open on the bench, stable since last night. Trying to "make" it crash, but it's always been kinda random.

I also can't seem to get either CPUFAN or SYSFAN1 to run my CPU cooler at acceptable speeds, seems to be providing just barely enough to spin the fan (and at times not enough to keep it spinning), with BIOS changes & speedfan having zero effect. Dunno if this is just a result of benching or not, normally run through a molex powered fan controller. Got a molex powered casefan cooling it now.

fury420

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Ok, it suddenly shutdown last night while running benched on a wooden table, and again refused to boot for +10min. I've now eliminated any electrical/grounding issues with the case or fan controller.

I'm now left with it being either a defective motherboard, CPU or something bizarre with the 212+ cooler or backplate. To that end I'm now rocking the stock intel cooler again, just to be certain.

Noticed the weird light behavior again, PSU switch in on position when plugging in power cable and all of the mobo lights flickered randomly and the CPU fan started spinning a bit. Continued for ~10sec until I flipped PSU switch off.

It also seemed to struggle to boot at first, 1st try it powered off within 1sec, didn't post on it's second attempt, successful POST on 3rd attempt

CPUFAN header is definitely not working right, nor is SYS-FAN.
With BIOS set to fixed maximum speed I get only ~1200RPM from the stock intel i5 HSF (and it's virtually silent, bad sign) and temps hit +70 C on a stress test before I stopped it (was still rising)

I'm rather confident at this point that the problem is motherboard related, especially considering the similar issues reported by others with this model

fury420

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Just received my motherboard back from Gigabyte's RMA "repair", and thus far it seems exactly the same as before I sent it in.

Visually, I cannot find ANY evidence whatosever that they even did anything. No visible new solder, nor a single mark on the reverse of the board.

CPU_FAN is still broken, with a standard Intel heatsink fan at only 1060 RPM when BIOS is set to fixed maximum speed. (just barely spinning, and entirely silent). I saw 65*C while doing nothing more than downloading & installing GPU drivers.

I have no way of knowing if the sudden shutdown issue has been resolved without running the machine for a week or two, but I cannot do this when the board can't even keep the CPU cool.

What am I supposed to do now? I am certain there are electrical issues with this board, and I just spent ~$30 to ship it in for RMA only to have it come back in seemingly the exact same shape with one, if not all the reported issues unresolved.

fury420

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Found some molex to 3pin adapters with an extra sense wire for the mobo and did some testing

Intel HSF running off CPU_FAN header with BIOS set to fixed maximum = ~1050RPM
Intel HSF connected via molex adapter to PSU, yellow sense wire to mobo = ~2100RPM

Scythe +12v case fan (the 'M' 1200RPM model). Connected to CPU_FAN = ~850RPM
Scythe connected to SYS_FAN = 700RPM
Scythe with molex & sense wire = ~1250RPM

From my experience with undervolting the scythe in the past, there is no way CPU_FAN is putting out more than 9-10v