Question Sudden Shutdown?

NMueller91

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2013
So as of recent, I have been having an issue, where my PC will shut off my USB and cause my monitor to shut off, yet my PC is still running requiring me to do a hard reset, by shutting off, then unplugging the PSU to get the system to shut down completely and then want to restart when I press the power button on the case.

Anyone have any idea why this will happen, it will happen while I am gaming or just browsing YouTube.

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3200 MHz purchased 2018
GPU: Radeon 580 8Gb purchased 2018
RAM: G.Skill 32Gb DDR4 2666 purchased 2019
PSU: PC ModxStream 700 watt purchased 2013
Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F purchased 2018

So out of all of my parts the PSU is the oldest, from my very first build, could it be the cause of the issue, or might it be something else?

I can post my error logs from event viewer if needed.

So as of recent, I have been having an issue, where my PC will shut off my USB and cause my monitor to shut off, yet my PC is still running requiring me to do a hard reset, by shutting off, then unplugging the PSU to get the system to shut down completely and then want to restart when I press the power button on the case.

Anyone have any idea why this will happen, it will happen while I am gaming or just browsing YouTube.

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3200 MHz purchased 2018
GPU: Radeon 580 8Gb purchased 2018
RAM: G.Skill 32Gb DDR4 2666 purchased 2019
PSU: PC ModxStream 700 watt purchased 2013
Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F purchased 2018

So out of all of my parts the PSU is the oldest, from my very first build, could it be the cause of the issue, or might it be something else?

I can post my error logs from event viewer if needed.

That power supply is dodgy and is old as you mentioned. Especially with the RX580 which is pretty power hungry. So for sure the issue is the power supply. What do you do when the computer shuts off in depth? Can you look at the usage, and wattage usage?

NMueller91

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2013
I usually press and hold the power button to get it to try and shut down, after my monitor and USBs all shut off, but the computer won't respond to the case button, so I flip the switch on the power supply to get the PC powered down completely, then I have to unplug the PSU from my surge protector to get it to want to power back on. I can't view the usuage or watt usage

There are 2 most likely causes:

1) CPU or GPU overheating due to insufficient / defective cooling (check both temperatures while in Windows and report them back). It could be that fans have stopped or heatsinks are full of dust. Thermal paste could also have lost its properties, so a replacement might be needed.

2) PSU is failing. Given that this model is not the one most of us would recommend, this would be the next thing to replace. This time go with a quality model, for example Corsair RMx (650W will be more than enough).

NMueller91

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2013
There are 2 most likely causes:

1) CPU or GPU overheating due to insufficient / defective cooling (check both temperatures while in Windows and report them back). It could be that fans have stopped or heatsinks are full of dust. Thermal paste could also have lost its properties, so a replacement might be needed.

2) PSU is failing. Given that this model is not the one most of us would recommend, this would be the next thing to replace. This time go with a quality model, for example Corsair RMx (650W will be more than enough).

Alright, I will get the temp readings in the morning when I get home from work, assuming I should just use a hardware monitoring software to get the readings?

NMueller91

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2013
That power supply is dodgy and is old as you mentioned. Especially with the RX580 which is pretty power hungry. So for sure the issue is the power supply. What do you do when the computer shuts off in depth? Can you look at the usage, and wattage usage?

Seeing as I was running short on time when I got home this morning, I didn't get any usage or wattage usage, off of the old power supply, however, with the new Corsair 850x in the case, here is the break down.

Wattage Usage 1

Wattage Usage 2

Wattage Usage 3

Based on what I am looking at, with temps in the 31C to 43C range on the CPU, and 49C to 59C range on the GPU, I don't think that overheating is an issue, mind you I didn't get a chance to play anything, like Skyrim or Total War, that would have really pushed it.