[SOLVED] Sudden speed drop with Netgear A7000 Wireless Adapter (Nighthawk AC1900 USB Adapter)

Jul 2, 2019
Did a budget gaming PC Build, not sure how much my specs matter but I'll post them anyway.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X
MoBo: B450M DS3H
GPU: RX 580 8GB
RAM: 16GB DDR4 3000 Kit
PSU: 650W + Bronze
HDD: 1TB WD & 512GB Inland nvme m.2 SSD

So for a while I just used an old wifi adapter I had laying around, then I saw the A7000 on sale at Best Buy so I decided to give it a shot. Right out of the box after installing the drivers I had a pretty drastic speed increase. Was at least 300 mbps and like 15 upload, compared to like 20 on my other wifi adapter. A few days ago I noticed my latency was a little higher in WoW, wasn't like horrible, but ohmost double used to go from like 15-20 MS now it was over 50. I ran a speedtest and its now coming back anywhere between 10-30 mbps download and 2-5 upload. I was over 300 for a week at least and I tested it at all different times of the day. Now I am steady at 10-30. What could the issue possibly be? I read about some process called SWUSB or something along those lines, that can change the USB 3.0 to 2.0 and back and forth which can cause disconnects and speed issues, I did have that process running but I've since stopped it. Any help is MUCH appreciated Thanks!

Solution
It may have connected on the 2.4g band the second time. Make sure the SSID is different for 2.4 and 5g so you can force it to use the 5g.

Your router may have changed the channels it is using. In most cases the router picks the best on auto. You could manually change it and see if you happen to get better speeds. 42 and 155 tend to be the numbers you pick to get 80mhz channels. You might try to force your router to use 80mhz if it has that option.

Many times it detect other neighbors routers and attempt to avoid conflicting but this can results in a loss of speed.....then again neighbors routers cause interference so that can hurt your ping and speeds also.
It may have connected on the 2.4g band the second time. Make sure the SSID is different for 2.4 and 5g so you can force it to use the 5g.

Your router may have changed the channels it is using. In most cases the router picks the best on auto. You could manually change it and see if you happen to get better speeds. 42 and 155 tend to be the numbers you pick to get 80mhz channels. You might try to force your router to use 80mhz if it has that option.

Many times it detect other neighbors routers and attempt to avoid conflicting but this can results in a loss of speed.....then again neighbors routers cause interference so that can hurt your ping and speeds also.

Solution