Question Sudden spike to "100" degrees on all CPU cores

May 14, 2020
Hi everyone! Recently my computer started to abruptly shut down.
ASUS B85M-G MB, Intel Core i5-4690, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
So to diagnose this I used Open Hardware Monitor to record stats and this is what I found:
Google Drive Picture
The columns are Core 1, 2, 3, 4 and Total
As you can see, it's going okay and right before the crash the temperatures spike up by about 20-40 degrees, and then flat out at exactly 100. This does not seem very probable.
Anyone got any ideas tow hat this is?

What is your actual cooler solution?

Factory cooler? See if it is still locked down/secured to the heat spreader...

IF you can carefully remove the cooler (with power removed from PSU!), cleaning heat spreader and top of CPU's heat spreader, perhaps a fresh light/thin application of thermal compound might help, as sometimes some thermal compound solutions dry out/become ineffective after 5-7 years....

May 14, 2020
What is your actual cooler solution?

Factory cooler? See if it is still locked down/secured to the heat spreader...

IF you can carefully remove the cooler (with power removed from PSU!), cleaning heat spreader and top of CPU's heat spreader, perhaps a fresh light/thin application of thermal compound might help, as sometimes some thermal compound solutions dry out/become ineffective after 5-7 years....

Okay, so I haven't had time to take off the cooler yet, but:
  • The cooler is some Master Cooler heatsink + fan.
  • The thing is.... After it powered off again I turned off the PSU and opened the case and tried touching everything I could (PSU, MB, CPU heatsink), nothing was hot, only slight warm.
Also, when I powered on the PC again BIOS reported +35% on the CPU...

So I'm not really sure if this is even a hardware issue.