[SOLVED] Sudden string of various BSODs on fresh W10 install - Please help

Rehman5000

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2012
Hello. I am a tech savvy person, but I simply cannot save my beloved laptop from a recent malfunction.

One fine day, I had Gameloop (an Android emulator) running idle on the laptop. Suddenly, the window started flickering and eventually everything started going black and flickering. So I did a restart, and nothing was ever the same again.

The computer is a Lenovo Ideapad Y700-17ISK on the following specs:
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.60GHz 6MB
  • RAM: DDR4 8GB 2133Mhz
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M 4GB
  • SSD: Kingston HyperX Predator 240GB M.2

Various BSODs (list below) kept coming over and over, and sometimes the screen just stays black. Strangely, no such issue exists in Safe Mode. I tried the following:
  • Uninstall and reinstall drivers
  • In BIOS: Switch between internal-only and switchable graphics
  • Laptop inbuilt hard reset to factory settings
  • Manual full SSD wipe, and install a genuine fresh Windows 10 (from May 2020)
  • Manual full SSD wipe, and install a genuine fresh Windows 10 (from September 2021)
  • Change the SSD entirely, and install a genuine fresh Windows 10 (from September 2021)
  • Unseat RAM/Wifi/SSD/Battery/CMOS, and reseat
  • Switch RAM order - who knows

After the fresh installs, the PC seems fine. But as soon as the initial key drivers gets auto installed by Windows, different BSODs kept coming. Below are the most common:
  • VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (igdkmd64.sys)
  • DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (Wdf01000.xyx)
  • WDF_VIOLATION (ucx01000.sys)
  • VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR
  • (there was one more about power state, I could not note it down) - I will edit this list as more comes
No matter what I do, I cannot stop the BSODs. Please help; this is the only computer I have, and I am quite devastated.

Solution
maybe you want to download intel chipset driver and save it to a flash drive, and after clean install the windows, do not connect to internet and install the chipset driver, restart, and try to download the nvidia drivers manually, also enable virtualization and vt-d option in the bios before doing so.

Lutfij

Titan
Out of curiosity, where did you source the installers for Windows 10? Can you get into your BIOS and see what BIOS version you're on? You should use Lenovo's support site in tandem with your laptop's Serial Number to bring a support page with drivers meant for your laptop. I'd source all drivers apart for the GPU from Lenovo. The graphics card driver can be sourced from Nvidia's support site. Do see if your laptop is pending a BIOS update.

as soon as the initial key drivers gets auto installed by Windows
Yeah you're advised to install all drivers manually in an elevated command, while the laptop is disconnected from the internet meaning that the drivers should be sourced beforehand.

Rehman5000

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2012
Out of curiosity, where did you source the installers for Windows 10? Can you get into your BIOS and see what BIOS version you're on? You should use Lenovo's support site in tandem with your laptop's Serial Number to bring a support page with drivers meant for your laptop. I'd source all drivers apart for the GPU from Lenovo. The graphics card driver can be sourced from Nvidia's support site. Do see if your laptop is pending a BIOS update.

as soon as the initial key drivers gets auto installed by Windows
Yeah you're advised to install all drivers manually in an elevated command, while the laptop is disconnected from the internet meaning that the drivers should be sourced beforehand.

Thank you for the swift reply. Installers were from Microsoft itself (the create installation media thingy). Yes BIOS is up to date. I shall try installing the GPU and others before Windows update and see. This still doesn't explain why this is happening now though. I have always reinstalled Windows and let Windows do its stuff.

maybe you want to download intel chipset driver and save it to a flash drive, and after clean install the windows, do not connect to internet and install the chipset driver, restart, and try to download the nvidia drivers manually, also enable virtualization and vt-d option in the bios before doing so.

I will try this too. Thanks Koekieezz!

Rehman5000

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2012
Hi all. So just an update. While I was trying to install drivers independently, Windows stopped booting altogether. And eventually nothing was bootable on the laptop at all. Occasionally Lenovo's bootable diagnostics worked. Every test passed, but when the CPU test is initiated, the system reboots.

I have now taken the laptop to a professional Service Centre. Their preliminary assessment was that the motherboard had failed. I will update here later (in about 3 weeks, which was their estimated timeline), when I receive more information.

But my summary for now, what I mentioned in my initial post could by symptoms of a failing CPU or motherboard.