[SOLVED] Sudden stuttering in system and games

Need your advice and thoughts.....

System specs are in my signature.

The problem started suddenly yesterday morning, I was in the internet and then decided to play some Hunter Classic an 11 year old game which is more cpu than gpu, every 5 sec a stutter but the frame rates showed no change. Went out of the game and checked background usage and ran a 3D timespy benchmark, 10900 which is normal for my setup. It says GPU and CPU running fine. Then the system was really slow to open firefox or systen programms. Now I did get a freeze in Mordor Shaow af War a few days ago but it was fine after, just put it down to that can happen....

Mordor Shadow of War, gpu no dips in framerate or memory frequency but lots of stutter. Ran a quick userbenchmark (not my favorite but quick) and holy crap the CPU and GPU fine but ALL my SSD's and RAM were running way under the usual speeds.

Memtest and windows mem test say memory is fine. So on the boot ssd I changed out the sata cable and plugged it into a different sata slot. Lo and behold it was back to normal speed.

I ran Malwarebytes, uninstalled the last windows up-date, ran cCleaner to clean up the registry, removed all OC from GPU and CPU in bios . All ssd's and ram are now running normal speeds but while the system speed has improved to normal there is still stuttering in games.

The GPU is 1 year old and even in heavy gaming never more than 63-65c. There are no other signs such as artifacting etc. On the GPU tweak monitor in the core and memory you cannot see the where the stuttering occurs on the graphs, so the GPU does not seem to register the stutter which makes me believe it is not the GPU that is the issue. Set to stock settings and there was no change no better or worse.

So RAM is OK
GPU is OK
CPU seems OK temps max 57c while gaming 27-35c idle
SDD ? but ALL 3 in one go?
PSU is around 6 weeks old and solid as it gets.

My hunch is the Motherboard has an issue, possibly the VRM, the moving the poor SSD to another header and suddenly fine is not really normal.

I am thinking of a Windows clean install (uuggghh) and reset the bios.... just what are your thoughts and ideas....
All input welcome :)

Last edited:
Solution
SOLVED !!! Clean install of windows on a fresh ssd and the issue is gone, I think it was connected to an Audio issue but after a factory reset of the old OS sdd it is 100% so I have kept it as an extra storage for unimportant stuff. Just to be on the safe side I have ordered a Asus Crosshair VIII x570 mobo (or is that just an excuse to up-grade LOL)
SOLVED !!! Clean install of windows on a fresh ssd and the issue is gone, I think it was connected to an Audio issue but after a factory reset of the old OS sdd it is 100% so I have kept it as an extra storage for unimportant stuff. Just to be on the safe side I have ordered a Asus Crosshair VIII x570 mobo (or is that just an excuse to up-grade LOL)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS