Question Sudden White flash on BOOTup

john.kolvall

Prominent
Jan 20, 2019
So when I boot my system my screen Always start when I get to the part where you can see the motherboard logo and the screen do this sudden "White" blink/flash/change in color Before reverting it looks like the black gets a tone brighter Before changing back. It's not even a split second and it doesnt happen anywhere else. I've thought it also happens when playing teamfight tactics but I've come to the conclusion that that is just animations and what not. Is this anything to worry about? Is it even remotely normal or is this a sign of some kind of malfunction?

Thanks!

john.kolvall

Prominent
Jan 20, 2019
Sorry, forgot to mention.

Asus rog strix z390 f gaming
Asus George rtx2080 Eco
Corsair vengeance lpx 16gb 3200
I5 9600k clocked to5ghz
Samsung 860 evo500gb ssd
Corsair hx750. 80plus platinum

It would be worth undoing the overclock on the CPU to see if the issues are fixed. If it is fixed, then just try a slightly smaller overclock and/or get a better CPU cooler, and run Prime95 for multiple hours to stress test it, as well as doing what previously caused the issues to see if they still occur.

john.kolvall

Prominent
Jan 20, 2019
It would be worth undoing the overclock on the CPU to see if the issues are fixed. If it is fixed, then just try a slightly smaller overclock and/or get a better CPU cooler, and run Prime95 for multiple hours to stress test it, as well as doing what previously caused the issues to see if they still occur.

Ill try the moment i get Home tomorrow. Im not sure this just started happening, but i noticed it yesterday. If i cant manage to solve it do i need to worry? Can this be a sign of my gpu being bad AT ALL? I can only imagine if that were the case this would happen everywhere, amongst artifacting and maybe crashing and such..

john.kolvall

Prominent
Jan 20, 2019
What is your connection from your screen to your video card (dvi, hdmi, etc)?

So is the cut between the bios screen and Windows load screen, or elsewhere?
Displayport, gonna try a different Cable tomorrow. Its where the motherboard logo show, just before windows login and its super sudden.

I just really wanna know if this can be a sign of a broken gpu or if its somehow dangerous for the system in general. Read somewhere a multitud of people had a similar issue after an update.

It almost feels as if my screen changes from default to my chosen mode wich is rpg i Think, so gonna try that too.

I just really wanna know if this can be a sign of a broken gpu or if its somehow dangerous for the system in general. Read somewhere a multitud of people had a similar issue after an update.
It's hard to know until we've finished diagnosing the problem. Sounds most likely to be a faulty GPU, but could also be something else, such as the overclock, which can and does at times cause this issue.

As well as removing the overclock, you could try to ensure the cables from GPU to monitor are tight, and perhaps even try a different monitor if you can, such as a TV using a different type of video connector.

john.kolvall

Prominent
Jan 20, 2019
It's hard to know until we've finished diagnosing the problem. Sounds most likely to be a faulty GPU, but could also be something else, such as the overclock, which can and does at times cause this issue.

As well as removing the overclock, you could try to ensure the cables from GPU to monitor are tight, and perhaps even try a different monitor if you can, such as a TV using a different type of video connector.

Alright i Will give it a go tomorrow. But if it indeed is the gpu wouldnt these symptoms be all over the place?

Not necessarily. If it is the GPU, it could just be the video engine malfunction - seeming as you say it happens in animations, which I take it refers to in-game cutscenes. Does it also occur in YouTube, or on videos saved on your PC? Or are these at least choppy and not as smooth as they should be?

john.kolvall

Prominent
Jan 20, 2019
Not necessarily. If it is the GPU, it could just be the video engine malfunction - seeming as you say it happens in animations, which I take it refers to in-game cutscenes. Does it also occur in YouTube, or on videos saved on your PC? Or are these at least choppy and not as smooth as they should be?
Everything is supersmooth. It doesnt happen in games at all. Originaly i thought so but i narrowed it go being like intended since o saw people streaming it with the same thing happening.

It only happen when booting up, once very sudden on bios splash screen.

If everything is looking fine once in Windows, then I'd say it is probably fine. It would still be worth undoing the overclock to double check, but remember what the settings were as if it doesn't fix it you might as well just set the overclock right back to how you have it now.

A few last things to follow up, just as precautions:
• Use a program like MSI Afterburner to monitor CPU and GPU temperatures in game. At what temp do they begin to level out? It should be at max 70-75°C on the CPU and 75-85 on the GPU.
• Update the BIOS to see if there is a slight glitch with it.

Before updating the BIOS, try changing around monitor/monitor cables like suggested before.

john.kolvall

Prominent
Jan 20, 2019
If everything is looking fine once in Windows, then I'd say it is probably fine. It would still be worth undoing the overclock to double check, but remember what the settings were as if it doesn't fix it you might as well just set the overclock right back to how you have it now.

A few last things to follow up, just as precautions:
• Use a program like MSI Afterburner to monitor CPU and GPU temperatures in game. At what temp do they begin to level out? It should be at max 70-75°C on the CPU and 75-85 on the GPU.
• Update the BIOS to see if there is a slight glitch with it.

Before updating the BIOS, try changing around monitor/monitor cables like suggested before.
Yes i Will try everything tomorrow, hope i can reach you after ive tried! Also temps are superb, usualy 50-55 on my cpu and 40-45 on my gpu. Im starting the fans manually cause otherwise my left fan is a bit of a douche. Doing this very soft rattle when powering up/down/being at20% rpm.

Displayport, gonna try a different Cable tomorrow. Its where the motherboard logo show, just before windows login and its super sudden.

It almost feels as if my screen changes from default to my chosen mode wich is rpg i Think, so gonna try that too.
From yourdescription, it doesn't sound like a problem- but of course, it would help to see it. On most computers, you would go from BIOS logo, to Windows loading screen, to Windows London screen. If you don't see the Windows loading screen, you may only be seeing a blip from the change in resolution ( and possibly a split-second on that loading screen). It's even more pribable it's nothing major if you have no issues while in Windows or while gaming. If it truly is a card issue, which I don't think it is, the issue will most certainly get worse, making it more obvious.

john.kolvall

Prominent
Jan 20, 2019
So been using my computer for a few days now and noticed this happen everywhere. Its almost like a lightbulb going off at random places on the screen... is this artifacts? Should i rma? Feel like its hard and they wont "see" it as its not konstant.