Question Suddenlink 1gb, slow speeds

Jbur074

Honorable
Apr 17, 2014
Hey folks,

So let me start off by saying I am a cable guy for Spectrum. I just moved out of our footprint and the only cable company available is Suddenlink. So I opted in for the gig service (on DOCSIS 3.0?) So far, everyone I have spoken with is a contractor and all they know how to do is run cables thru attics and plug stuff in. They have ZERO troubleshooting skills. I have already checked my signal levels, checked all coax lines for noise, replaced all connectors and I know the RF side is good.

My issue lies with this Arris DG3270a they gave me. My speeds are all over the place. Hardwired im getting between 200-600, my wifi speeds thru the built in wireless system are awful. I added my own router - Netgear R6300v2 (which is not capable of over 500, but it had to be better than the 30 I was getting thru my modems WiFi, right?) ran ethernet thru my office into the living room and im only getting about 70 standing next to it. I dont do much with networking in the field, 99% of the time its RF related, or swap equipment.

Is there anything I can do to increase my speeds overall? Is this just a garbage modem I should return and buy my own? I can live with an average of 300mbps hardwired, but I know my router should be putting out more than 70 (and thats on 5g, around 25 on 2g)

Maybe Im just spoiled by what I see my Spectrum customers getting. In my plant I never see a customer below our advertised speeds as long as there are no RF issues. I live in a small town and I have no clue where the node is, but I can only assume I'm not close. Doesn't justify why my wireless speeds are so awful

Thanks

You have some other problem than just the modem/router device. If you get good speed using ethernet cable then the wifi problem you see when you are using your netgear can not be blamed on the Arris device. How would the arris device know if you had a PC that you did something silly and used it as a hotspot or you connected another router that is providing the wifi.

First step is to verify the cables to the second router are good. You should be able to plug your pc into that and get the same wired speed as directly connected.

You really should not have 2 routers in the path just to make life easier. You want to ether use the second router as a AP or make the modem/router run as only a modem and use your second router as the router.

You must have some strange wifi problem. You have in effect already replaced the wifi radios in the arris device and have similar problems so replacing the wifi radios yet again will likely not make a difference.

Wifi is extremely hard to troubleshoot. It could be the routers or it can be the end devices. It also can be interfering signals coming in from outside your house.

First, verify your speeds plugged directly into your router.
Randomly getting between 200-600Mb download is NOT good if you have Gbit service. Your download should consistently be over 800Mb on EVERY test unless Suddenlink's version of 'gigabit internet' is just an advertising lie.
If it were me I would get a cheap DOCSIS 3 modem (modem only - maybe return it later) and perform some testing. You'll just have to call them to get the MAC/serial registered. If your modem gives you great speeds then their modem is faulty. Be sure to take pics as evidence and you'll have all the proof you need to get them to send you a new Arris.

Once you are getting respectable speeds when plugged directly into your modem/router the rest should be easy. Oh, and as @bill001g said, having 2 routers is not a good idea. Double NATing just slows things down and could cause issues with streaming traffic.

Ideally, you want to end up with their modem/router with excellent speeds plugged directly in and on WiFi or just a modem with your router and excellent speeds plugged in and on WiFi.

Good luck!

AnnoniMoose

Commendable
Feb 17, 2019
According to the Suddenlink technician who came to my home two weeks ago, Suddenlink sells gigabit ethernet even where they cannot provide it. In my particular location, the maximum speed I can ever hope to achieve is up to 400. It’s simply not possible to go higher than that because the technology currently used by Suddenlink to connect my home isn’t the most modern.

Suddenlink sent the technician to my home to determine why I could not get over 400 Mbps when I was pay. Without even connecting his equipment, he stated flatly that there was no way I could get get over 400 Mbps, and that a reasonable expectation was in the general range of 100 to 200 during normal hours. I told him I averaged between 90 and 120. He replied that speed varies depending on hardware and how much data my neighbors were using at any particular moment. Even if I was the only one using the Internet in my area, 300 to 400 is the absolute maximum I could possibly achieve.

My home is in an area constructed during the 1970s. Although some equipment has been upgraded over time, all cabling and other equipment would need to be replaced to exceed 400 Mbps. Suddenlink is not willing to invest the resources (money) necessary to do that.

Now if I could only get Suddenlink to pay me back for the two months they promised gigabit but never provided it. Or perhaps I should just consider myself lucky that I’m no longer paying for gigabit that doesn’t exist.

Last edited: