[SOLVED] Suddenly extremely long boot time

NakedViking

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
At some point in the last few days my computer suddenly takes forever to start. I've ran virus scans and nothing was found. The boot drive is a 970 EVO and it runs at the rated speed. Nothing is out of the ordinary when the computer is running. I haven't installed any new programs and the last Windows update was several days before this started. I'm running the latest BIOS.

Previous boot behaviour: ~13 sec BIOS boot according to task manager. The Windows logo and loading circle comes up. Power is cut from USB devices. A second or two passes then USB devices get power again. A few more seconds on the Windows loading screen and then on to the log on screen.
New boot behaviour: Exactly the same except the phase where power is cut from USB devices lasts around 1 minute and 50 seconds.

The drive activity light is on during the long period of nothing(I can't recall if this used to be the case) so my only guess was that it might have something to do with a bad drive since one of my HDDs has had a SMART caution for unallocated sectors for a few years now. But unplugging that drive didn't change anything.

As far as I can tell absolutely nothing else is wrong. Everything else seems to run just fine.

Full system specs:
Crosshair VI Hero
Ryzen 1700
Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz 8GBx2
Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+
Corsair RM750x
840 PRO 250GB
850 EVO 500GB
860 EVO 1TB
970 EVO 500GB
Barracuda 4TB
WD Black 4TB
WD Black 1TB

Last edited:
Solution
I would unplug all other drives except boot drive and see if it changes anything. It could be a process of attaching them all and restarting (one at a time) to find the cause.

NakedViking

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
I would unplug all other drives except boot drive and see if it changes anything. It could be a process of attaching them all and restarting (one at a time) to find the cause.

This was it. One of my drives just started to make a clicking noise so I'm guessing it's not going to be alive for much longer. Boots fine after unplugging. Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS