[SOLVED] Suddenly getting crazy BSODS outta nowhere...

Jan 12, 2021
Hey all, I've recently come across a multitude of BSODS with my system with stop codes ranging from memory related issues to driver related issues and general stuff as well. Over the last 2 days I've sorted out the driver related issues with a fresh install of Win 10 with clean fresh drivers for all my hardware. But I have kinda reached a brick wall with the memory related BSODS. It seemed at first to be faulty ram, so I ran each of my ddr4 ram sticks individually in dimm slot 2 through memtest86 fully, then with both of them in dimm slots 2 and 4 fully. Memtest did not find any errors in all of those tests. Oddly enough, when using only 1 stick of ram (either of them) in dimm 2, windows runs perfectly fine.

Now I've been reading a bit online and it seems that this issue could still be ram related, or it could be fault of a bent pin in the cpu or a failing motherboard. My question to you all is, which option should I start looking into (and if possible how) since my replacement thermal paste isn't coming till the 17th, I can't diagnose the bent pin till then really, as this is my main PC for school and such.

Thanks for reading this wall of text written from frustration!
All the best,
Tony.

Solution
Hey all, I've recently come across a multitude of BSODS with my system with stop codes ranging from memory related issues to driver related issues and general stuff as well. Over the last 2 days I've sorted out the driver related issues with a fresh install of Win 10 with clean fresh drivers for all my hardware. But I have kinda reached a brick wall with the memory related BSODS. It seemed at first to be faulty ram, so I ran each of my ddr4 ram sticks individually in dimm slot 2 through memtest86 fully, then with both of them in dimm slots 2 and 4 fully. Memtest did not find any errors in all of those tests. Oddly enough, when using only 1 stick of ram (either of them) in dimm 2, windows runs perfectly fine.

Now I've been reading a...
Jan 12, 2021
Do you still have the BSOD's if you remove the XMP profile from your RAM and run them at default speed?
I don't think I've run them regularly with xmp on either profile. I have used both default and xmp speeds to test things, and it seems that no matter the setting, when using two sticks of ram at the same time it always ends up bsoding. However, with one stick it works with or without the xmp profile.

Jan 9, 2021

Now I've been reading a bit online and it seems that this issue could still be ram related, or it could be fault of a bent pin in the cpu or a failing motherboard. My question to you all is, which option should I start looking into (and if possible how) since my replacement thermal paste isn't coming till the 17th, I can't diagnose the bent pin till then really, as this is my main PC for school and such.

All the best,
Tony.

Hello Tormin4.

This seems to be a pretty rare scenario, but it could be that the DIMM slots themselves are faulty, but there could be a few other reasons. For starters, check if you have XMP enabled (as Nemesia asked). If enabled, disable it. If you are overclocking, underclocking, or have changed voltages, reset those settings too. There is a very good reason why people tell you to disable overclocks if you experience blue screens. Now, I would not go as far as blaming the motherboard just yet, however.

Solution
Jan 9, 2021
I realize now how much of a fool I am. Reinstalling windows got rid of the many crash dump files didn't it. I still have one from today using this fresh install. I can't recall the stop code for it, sorry.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aoms0wYOcuN6gqoaTsK1qk-Vt0SUGA?e=vTglyE

No worries. In the crash dump, it specifies what the bug check was. If you ever get more blue screens, please upload them. I'm going to analyze this now.

Jan 9, 2021
I also have the larger MEMORY.DMP file if you'd like to look at it, I'm assuming it contains a lot of noise though, it is 400 mb.

The MEMORY.DMP file you should not upload. It has the same information as the crash dump, but it also has all of your computer memory's contents. Do not upload that file for the sake of your security.

Jan 9, 2021
Jan 9, 2021

All the best,
Tony.

Now that I am looking at the situation more, it actually could be a failing motherboard, because the DIMMs seem faulty as I've stated earlier. I was also about to suggest running some commands to restore non-corrupted system files, but you stated that you have reinstalled Windows and the bug checks persisted. This may not be the case, but you could also try some troubleshooting on your hard disk drives. Try your drives in other computers if you have any spares. If they produce crashes with the drives installed, then you have found the culprit! Lastly, I forgot to ask this earlier. Did you ensure that your components are seated properly?

Jan 12, 2021
Unfortunately I don't have anyone in my family that has a spare computer that can do that (laptops) and I'm pretty sure they are well seated, at least with the ram since that's the only thing I've really touched in the last couple days for the troubleshooting. I heard and felt a noticeable click when reinstalling them for the memtest runs. I might be able to hobble together an old pc downstairs with our assortment of old parts and test the drives on there.

Reactions: Uncodable
Jan 9, 2021
Unfortunately I don't have anyone in my family that has a spare computer that can do that (laptops) and I'm pretty sure they are well seated, at least with the ram since that's the only thing I've really touched in the last couple days for the troubleshooting. I heard and felt a noticeable click when reinstalling them for the memtest runs. I might be able to hobble together an old pc downstairs with our assortment of old parts and test the drives on there.

Alright, be sure to try that. One more suggestion by the way, but this is a last resort. Try updating the motherboard's BIOS. Some newer components may not be compatible with the current version of your BIOS. This is assuming you have not updated your BIOS.

Jan 12, 2021
Alright, be sure to try that. One more suggestion by the way, but this is a last resort. Try updating the motherboard's BIOS. Some newer components may not be compatible with the current version of your BIOS. This is assuming you have not updated your BIOS.
I believe my bios is updated to the latest stable version from 2019 off my manufacturer's website, so it's looking like this is definitely something hardware related. Thanks for the great help by the way! I will probably post here tomorrow with results (hopefully).

Reactions: Uncodable
Jan 12, 2021
Hey all, looks like resetting the CMOS fixed the instability without xmp on. So it looks like there must have been something small in the bios I touched without noticing. Now as far as turning xmp on, I haven't fully stress tested it with OCCT yet, but for now my computer seems fine for schoolwork and general use for the upcoming school term. Thanks very much Uncodable! I appreciate your kind help a lot.

Hey all, looks like resetting the CMOS fixed the instability without xmp on. So it looks like there must have been something small in the bios I touched without noticing. Now as far as turning xmp on, I haven't fully stress tested it with OCCT yet, but for now my computer seems fine for schoolwork and general use for the upcoming school term. Thanks very much Uncodable! I appreciate your kind help a lot.

Glad you fixed your issue! :)