Question Suddenly HDD changed to RAW

solid0408

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2015
Hey Everyone,

One day I was playing with Rise of The Tomb Raider and it froze. I had to force reset with the power button because the system hadn't been respond. After this situation my internal HDD stroge drives (2x1 Tb: WD ST1000DM010-2EP102, using as one partition) put themself to RAW format. I can't access them and I have all my important datas on them. I used a data recovery software (Recuva) to recover my datas to the external HDD but a lot of files aren't be opened. My suggest is because of the RAW format. I tried CHKDSK bit it says can't read because of the bad sectors?!? I tried to set the system to a backup point with hope that will work. NOPE, didn't work.

I downloaded TestDisk and I'm checking now the drives, still loading. I have got a message below: WARNING: number of bytes per sector mismatches 4096 (NTFS) ! = 512 (HD) ??????

Any advice? This occurrence is a first time happened story.

Thanks for your answeres in advance!

zinkles

Commendable
Aug 24, 2022
Hey Everyone,

One day I was playing with Rise of The Tomb Raider and it froze. I had to force reset with the power button because the system hadn't been respond. After this situation my internal HDD stroge drives (2x1 Tb: WD ST1000DM010-2EP102, using as one partition) put themself to RAW format. I can't access them and I have all my important datas on them. I used a data recovery software (Recuva) to recover my datas to the external HDD but a lot of files aren't be opened. My suggest is because of the RAW format. I tried CHKDSK bit it says can't read because of the bad sectors?!? I tried to set the system to a backup point with hope that will work. NOPE, didn't work.

I downloaded TestDisk and I'm checking now the drives, still loading. I have got a message below: WARNING: number of bytes per sector mismatches 4096 (NTFS) ! = 512 (HD) ??????

Any advice? This occurrence is a first time happened story.

Thanks for your answeres in advance!
90% chance the HDD is failing. The partitions suddenly changing to RAW format, in most cases means it failed. Form what's stated, its due to bad sectors (common with HDDs).

Could you use CrystalDiskInfo, or some similar tool to check the drives SMART values and upload a screenshot here? (use imgur.com)

Since its a failing drive, if any data is to eb recovered from it, after doing so, you shouldn't try to use the drive again. It's gone.

solid0408

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2015
90% chance the HDD is failing. The partitions suddenly changing to RAW format, in most cases means it failed. Form what's stated, its due to bad sectors (common with HDDs).

Could you use CrystalDiskInfo, or some similar tool to check the drives SMART values and upload a screenshot here? (use imgur.com)

Since its a failing drive, if any data is to eb recovered from it, after doing so, you shouldn't try to use the drive again. It's gone.
Yeah, sure. Here it goes.....

I can't insert it so, here is the link to the pic: https://ibb.co/JrsdCqH

zinkles

Commendable
Aug 24, 2022
It could also be the partition table got corrupted, changing everything to RAW (?)
I don't have a fix or solution for this though, I'll let someone else find one.

I wouldn't recommend keeping any valuable data on that drive afterwards if you manage to get it fixed, unless you want them gone.

solid0408

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2015
It could also be the partition table got corrupted, changing everything to RAW (?)
I don't have a fix or solution for this though, I'll let someone else find one.

I wouldn't recommend keeping any valuable data on that drive afterwards if you manage to get it fixed, unless you want them gone.
Thanks your help and time! Yeah I won’t keep important data on that.

solid0408

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2015
NEWS!

I have got recovered datas and saved on an external hdd.

Reinstalled Win and formated all storages. I can't format the HDDs, they are still in RAW. I would like to use Seagate DiscWizard maybe it helps but when I open it, can't click on "Continue" and can't use.

Any advice how should fix?

DMDE is showing "EBxx" in the Indicators column for your damaged NTFS volume. Normally it would show "EBCF". This means that it was unable to find the copy of the boot sector (C) or an intact file system (F).

"GPT (4K)" is telling us that the two drives are configured with a logical sector size of 4KB. Normally it would be 512 bytes. I don't understand why this is the case, unless it is a consequence of Storage Spaces. Usually when I see this it is the result of the drive having being installed in an external enclosure that has a 4KB sector size. Seagate's external enclosures are typically configured this way.

One other annoyance is that Microsoft has reduced the combined capacity of the two drives by about 12GB. Where did this "storage space" go? What is MS doing with it?

Personally, I dislike Storage Spaces. To me, it is an unnecessary complication that potentially increases the risk of data loss (because the loss of one drive affects all the others).

solid0408

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2015
OTHER INFO:

Verified sectors on one hdd with Disk Genius and there aren’t bad sectors. Im verifing the other one now and the sectors are looking okey.

Still can’t get formated.

solid0408

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2015
Problem solved!

Situations and steps:

1. Couldn’t recover storage with my datas the partition was gone to RAW and couldn’t access. I had to use recovery software and save my files.
  2. After recovering I couldn’t format the partition because it was in RAW. -CHKDSK didnt’t work -sectors were okey -couldn’t format in any software. The solution was: had to delete the storage stock or what in windows settings because the 2 HDD were using as one partition not separated. After these I could make partitions and they are separated now.

Thank you to help me and your time.