[SOLVED] Suddenly multiple BSODS

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 22, 2019
Hey there..

Today I've encountered multiple different BSOD's
For example 0x101 caused by hal.dll
Then there was 0x1c7 caused by cl.dll and 0x1a caused by ntoskrnl.exe

System is a:
-non-oc 4790k -> watercooled
-gigabyte z97x-ud5h-bk
-4x4gb Corsair Vengeance on 1333mhz
-Asus strix 1080 8gb
-120gb ssd for Win10 and programs
-4 hdds

Temps are fine
System is otherwise stable, atleast it has been untill today
Memtest shows no errors
Using Avira antivirus, pretty much all drivers are up to date, except the graphic drivers because the latest ones are causing issues, but that's non related..
sfc /scannow says everything's fine
chkdsk /f done

I sincerely have no clue and idea what to do next, except a reinstall, but I'm worried it's something else.....

Solution
Heat can cause errors... wait and see if you get another.

I cleaned the filters in my PC and although difference isn't as big as yours, it is also 38C outside so it can only do so much. Intakes were full of dust as well so it just wasn't getting any fresh air. Now everything hovering around 40 or below, before it was high 40's.

If the cooling doesn't help, Clean install was actually what I was going to suggest as new drivers might fix it.
Realtek has gotten to be seriously problematic in the last couple of years, especially since they don't offer any way to directly get drivers from them NOR do they frequently update them to resolve issues. I won't buy a board anymore if it uses Realtek audio unless I know I'm going to do something different with a soundcard or breakout box of some kind. I've never had these kinds of issues with Creative sound products and when there IS a problem, Creative generally solves it reasonably quickly.

None of which, I know, particularly helps you. I'd look at the options Colif laid out and see if any of them resolve the driver issues.

Feb 22, 2019
Totally agree, Realtek drivers are a pain to find, thanks @Colif to pointing out the links where to find the latest ones.. I'll try the normal 6.0.8791.1 HDA driver first and report back the results..
On the other hand, I'm thinking about even doing a complete wipe and do a fresh OS install..

update: (somehow managed to not click "post reply" for the upper protion yesterday)

Installed the latest HDA drivers and graphic drivers.
No difference, got today a couple of 0x101 (clock_watchdog_timeout), none produced minidumps tho..
Did two or three powercycles (turned off psu, let it sit for a minute, turned on), same BSOD again.
Went on for 4 or 5 times like that, then the windows recovery popped up, I hit "Try again", then it booted up fine..

Noticed temps were a bit on the high end on idle, 50ish°c on all cores and gpu..
Pulled the filters and gave them a shower, now they are mid 30's

Colif

Win 11 Master
Heat can cause errors... wait and see if you get another.

I cleaned the filters in my PC and although difference isn't as big as yours, it is also 38C outside so it can only do so much. Intakes were full of dust as well so it just wasn't getting any fresh air. Now everything hovering around 40 or below, before it was high 40's.

If the cooling doesn't help, Clean install was actually what I was going to suggest as new drivers might fix it.

Solution
Feb 22, 2019
Hey guys (and girls?)

For a short update, after the "cleaning" I've got no more BSOD's, so I guess, and hope, it was indeed being me just stupid and it was just because everything got to warm..

I usually keep my stuff rather clean, but I guess because I've moved recently I just forgot about it..
Anyways, It's up and running again, and hope it stays that way..
Until then, as stated previously,
I wish you all a Happy New Year,
and many thanks to all of you for your time and provided help!!