[SOLVED] Suddenly multiple BSODS

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 22, 2019
Hey there..

Today I've encountered multiple different BSOD's
For example 0x101 caused by hal.dll
Then there was 0x1c7 caused by cl.dll and 0x1a caused by ntoskrnl.exe

System is a:
-non-oc 4790k -> watercooled
-gigabyte z97x-ud5h-bk
-4x4gb Corsair Vengeance on 1333mhz
-Asus strix 1080 8gb
-120gb ssd for Win10 and programs
-4 hdds

Temps are fine
System is otherwise stable, atleast it has been untill today
Memtest shows no errors
Using Avira antivirus, pretty much all drivers are up to date, except the graphic drivers because the latest ones are causing issues, but that's non related..
sfc /scannow says everything's fine
chkdsk /f done

I sincerely have no clue and idea what to do next, except a reinstall, but I'm worried it's something else.....

Solution
Heat can cause errors... wait and see if you get another.

I cleaned the filters in my PC and although difference isn't as big as yours, it is also 38C outside so it can only do so much. Intakes were full of dust as well so it just wasn't getting any fresh air. Now everything hovering around 40 or below, before it was high 40's.

If the cooling doesn't help, Clean install was actually what I was going to suggest as new drivers might fix it.

Silver Volpe

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
I've had a similar problem some months back. The computer would have BSOD's very frequently, and very randomly, where I've had none before, This went on for a couple of months, while I tried many different solutions. In the end, what seemed to work for me, is downloadeding the lastets BIOS update for my motherboard (ASRock Z87 Extreme 4).

My assumption is, one of the Windows 10 updates somehow didn't sit well with the outdated BIOS. Something to that effect. Have you tried updating your BIOS?

Feb 22, 2019
I've had a similar problem some months back. The computer would have BSOD's very frequently, and very randomly, where I've had none before, This went on for a couple of months, while I tried many different solutions. In the end, what seemed to work for me, is downloadeding the lastets BIOS update for my motherboard (ASRock Z87 Extreme 4).

My assumption is, one of the Windows 10 updates somehow didn't sit well with the outdated BIOS. Something to that effect. Have you tried updating your BIOS?

"Unfortunately" yes, I have the latest bios that is found in the downloads section of the motherboards vendor.. Thanks for the suggestion tho..

Let's see what happens with the new memory. If it weren't for the fact that you're seeing errors in Memtest86 I'd say it's likely you simply need to do a CLEAN INSTALL but obviously what happens outside Windows is pretty much all hardware and firmware and what happens IN Windows, once it has loaded, is a separate beast altogether.

Feb 22, 2019
Let's see what happens with the new memory. If it weren't for the fact that you're seeing errors in Memtest86 I'd say it's likely you simply need to do a CLEAN INSTALL but obviously what happens outside Windows is pretty much all hardware and firmware and what happens IN Windows, once it has loaded, is a separate beast altogether.

Yes idd..

Although, this is what's happening now.. (have only 2 sticks, 8gb of memory installed)
For example

-Minecraft with high memory usage runs fine..
-Rainbow six Siege, BSOD after 5 seconds in menu (when trying with all 4 sticks of memory it runs for a minute or so, and then bsod's)
-Overwatch, BSOD when starting a match
-Fortnite, after readying, when it comes to loading screen BSOD (with all 4 sticks can start a game, but bsod's after X minutes)
-CS: GO runs fine
-The Crew runs fine
-Can watch movies, use discord, youtube, in chrome and firefox just fine

edit: nvm, after another (4th) test for unknown both overwatch and RS Siege started and work fine now..

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019
Actually I've had the 399.24 (i think) for a week now, but installed the latest ones today (some previous drivers were causing some non related issues)
Haven't done a clean install tho..

Try the clean install. It doesn't ALWAYS cure every problem, not even close, but it DOES cure a LOT of them, a LOT of the time.

Especially when the problems come on out of the blue or after a major update.

Feb 22, 2019
Hey there, so an update.. Finally got a new PSU, (thanks to @Darkbreeze for recommendations, gf almost killed me), I've got a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w. Simultaneously I've reseated the CPU and put some new thermal compound on.. Temps are alot better now tho..

Unfortunately, memtest still showing errors with all four sticks, didn't test with less yet, but I guess next on the to-buy list is a pair of matched memory sticks..

edit:
Tried to put together an old comp, using the PSU I removed from the "new" comp.. In fact, I have 3 LGA775 motherboards, 2 q6600's, a e7400, and a gtx760..
(all hardware presumably works)

So first when attaching everything outside the case, it turned on, although, no post screen, no beep.. Monitor says no signal..
Triied with another mobo and cpu, it posted fine.. So I put the components in the case.. Tried a couple more times mid-build, it did post. After finishing and cleaning up everything, tried to power up.. Again blank screen (no signal). It does however post after turning it off/on again X amount of times..

Might be that it's the PSU anyways?
Confused by the result of memtest, but despite that, the "new" comp with the new PSU hasn't produced a BSOD so far..

edit#2:
regarding the old comp - all memory sticks are busted.. tried with a spare hynix stick and it posts / boots fine..

Last edited:
That's good news. I'd definitely recommend a matched set of sticks. Sometimes the differences between memory kits can be overcome. Sometimes they simply cannot. Now that you have a new PSU, I might try again resetting the BIOS to default settings with all sticks installed, and then test. If still fail, try upping the DRAM voltage by .005-.020v and test again, same procedure as before but with good clean power delivery, hopefully, this time.

Feb 22, 2019
Hey there,

So a rather weird update from me.. As stated above, managed to get a 850 Seasonic Focus Plus gold PSU, and a pair of matched 8gb Kingston 1600mhz DDR3 sticks (so 2x 8gb).

Ran memtest through the night, no errors, yay!!

Next day a BSOD (think it was WHEA uncorrectable error), the day afterwards two more BSODS (clock Watchdog and the second one I'm not sure).. Neither of those three bsods saved the dump tho, and it's more then a week since then running perfectly fine with everything I throw at it..

For the time being I'm gonna let it stay as it is, as getting a replacement motherboard / cpu is more or less out of the question for now, especially as 1150 motherboards are as rare as diamonds nowadays....

Feb 22, 2019
So... I'm baaaaack!

First of all Merry Christmass to all of you folks, and a happy and BSOD free new year!!

Anyways, the last 4 months were more or less BSOD free for me, untill recently..
on the 24th I got a random bsod in the evening, think it was a 0x101, after a reboot 4 more just as windows booted up, all of them either a 0x101 or a 0x124, only one got saved tho..
So after the 5th reboot, it booted up fine, and I continued up with my work (gaming) the most of the night, and the oncoming day.
On the evening on the 25th.. arround the same time as the day before another 0x101, and 3 more after that, one being the 0x124. All of them produced minidumps thou now, so I'll just upload them if anyone please finds their time to analyze them for me..
After the 0x124 it booted up normally, etc.. You get the picture..

System specs are same as mentioned earlier in the thread, with the PSU and memory being arround 5 months old:
Gigabyte GA-Z97x-UD5h-BK
4790k @ stock + corsair h60
2x 8gb Kingston 1600mhz memory sticks
850w Seasonic Focus Plus gold psu
Asus Strix gtx1080 8gb
500gb Samsung evo plus

This are the latest bsod's that got saved:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fuctrkh53l7ngdb/AACz4nZyc-IQZRs1P5eKveEua?dl=0

Colif

Win 11 Master
Merry Xmas. I don't want any BSOD for myself and it would be an amazing miracle if no one got one next year, although it would be quieter around here.

looks at his calendar... if it wasn't your thread I would be reacting differently (we tend to close old threads). But as its your thread, its best to keep everything in one place.

Computers meant to stay fixed, its one way (looks at imaginary contracts)... no repeats :)

Gardenman, who normally checks the dump files for me is sick at the moment, and the other people who check them aren't so consistent , especially this week. SO I can't guarantee when dumps will get read.

I do know that 0x124 is a WHEA error.

can you run this as I might be able to see whats going on from it - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/pages/bsodcollectionapp/

Feb 22, 2019
Hey, yea I didn't want to flood the forum with new threads every time my pc is acting up.. atleast not with the more or less same problem, that's why I posted in this "old" thread..

No worries otherwise, hope Gardenman gets better soon, and I fully understand it's holiday season and people are spending time with their families etc.. I'll wait and won't run away, I promise :p

I'll run the app you suggested asap and post the results here, but otherwise, same happened today as the two previous days.. at arround 9pm, a couple of BSOD's, 4 of them to be exact, all of them 0x101, then it booted up normally again..
The rest of the day (and night) it's running perfectly fine..

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2w3l4ws5fm3o9b4/AAAFc1p7RHotS9KZvjtZqHCba?dl=0

Did you allow a Windows update recently that might coincide with the timing of these BSODs starting to crop up?

Have you gone to double check that there are not newer drivers available than the last time you checked, for your motherboard and any other hardware? Or a recent BIOS release?

Have you manually run Windows update to see if maybe whatever is causing your problem has been patched already?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yesssss, I know, I mean it's incredible and all, however despite everything it disturbs me how something like this can all of a sudden without any progressions to the PC equipment or programming shrewd can "fix" itself..

In any case, much gratitude to every one of you for the offered help and help, trust I won't require you once more

I can't find anywhere we have helped you? Especially in this thread

Yesssss, I know, I mean it's incredible and all, however despite everything it disturbs me how something like this can all of a sudden without any progressions to the PC equipment or programming shrewd can "fix" itself..

In any case, much gratitude to every one of you for the offered help and help, trust I won't require you once more

Who are you, and why are you acting like this is your thread?

gardenman

Splendid
Gardenman, who normally checks the dump files for me is sick at the moment,
I'm back (too)... with 3 new holes in my stomach and a missing gallbladder, but I'm no longer in pain. :)

I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://bunchierbody.htmlpasta.com/
File information:122619-13484-01.dmp (Dec 26 2019 - 15:25:15)
Bugcheck:CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: OAWrapper.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 35 Sec(s)

File information:122619-12671-01.dmp (Dec 26 2019 - 15:22:05)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for RTKVHD64.sys
Probably caused by:Unknown_Image (Process: Registry)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 9 Hour(s), 51 Min(s), and 57 Sec(s)

File information:122619-12187-01.dmp (Dec 26 2019 - 15:24:06)
Probably caused by:Unknown_Image (Process: NVDisplay.Cont)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 22 Sec(s)

File information:122619-11906-01.dmp (Dec 26 2019 - 15:27:48)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 16 Sec(s)

File information:122519-14359-01.dmp (Dec 25 2019 - 15:37:54)
Probably caused by:Unknown_Image (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 40 Sec(s)

File information:122519-14078-01.dmp (Dec 25 2019 - 15:40:12)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: TunnelBear.Mai)

File information:122519-13843-01.dmp (Dec 25 2019 - 15:36:22)
Probably caused by:Unknown_Image (Process: Discord.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 9 Hour(s), 55 Min(s), and 09 Sec(s)

File information:122519-11906-01.dmp (Dec 25 2019 - 15:41:42)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Probably caused by:GenuineIntel (Process: sppsvc.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 18 Sec(s)

File information:122419-15234-01.dmp (Dec 24 2019 - 17:27:25)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 46 Sec(s)
Comment: The GPU tweaking driver "iomap64.sys" was found on your system. (AI Suite or GPU Tweak 2)
Comment: Crash #2 caused by RTKVHD64.sys.
Comment: Crash #3 caused by NVIDIA.
Comment: Crash #4 caused by RTKVHD64.sys.
Comment: Crash #8 has 2 possible causes: CPU or possibly pirated Windows (I'm not claiming that).

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

RTKVHD64.sys is a Realtek soundcard driver, and it wouldn't be the first time that we'd seen problems with Realtek drivers.

If you've installed drivers for your Realtek audio adapter, from the motherboard product page, I'd look to see if there is a newer one, or remove it and see if Windows supplies one that is more compatible. You may have to unistall your current driver and then run Windows update to see if one gets installed. If you have NOT installed one for your audio driver, then I WOULD do so, using the driver from the motherboard product page.

I'd also get rid of AI suite and GPU tweak if you have either of those installed. They are known to often cause problems, much as almost ALL bundled software utitilities from motherboard manufacturers do. I don't even know why they try to force feed them to people anymore knowing that they are garbage, much like NZXTs "CAM" software.

Might not be a bad idea to also do a DDU run and clean install of the latest Nvidia drivers as well.

Or, it could as Colif indicated be a hardware issue, which I'd expect would be a problem with the motherboard based on the various indicators from the dumps. All of those seem to be loosely tied to various motherboard subsystems, of course, that can be said for almost anything since everything always pretty much has to go through the board.

Feb 22, 2019
Did you allow a Windows update recently that might coincide with the timing of these BSODs starting to crop up?

Have you gone to double check that there are not newer drivers available than the last time you checked, for your motherboard and any other hardware? Or a recent BIOS release?

Have you manually run Windows update to see if maybe whatever is causing your problem has been patched already?

Windows update is set to automatically download and install important updates, didn't change any settings since I installed the OS..
No new drivers are available as far as I can tell, even the graphic drivers are up-to-date
I tried manually running update, and no new updates were found..

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...gger/bug-check-0x101---clock-watchdog-timeout

+ WHEA errors.

If @PC Tailor were around he would suspect it was hardware... and as its at startup, good chance he right

Have you got fast startup turned off? https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html - try turning it off and see if startup changes.

No I didn't yet, will try tho..

I'm back (too)... with 3 new holes in my stomach and a missing gallbladder, but I'm no longer in pain. :)

I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://bunchierbody.htmlpasta.com/
File information:122619-13484-01.dmp (Dec 26 2019 - 15:25:15)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: OAWrapper.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 35 Sec(s)

File information:122619-12671-01.dmp (Dec 26 2019 - 15:22:05)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 9 Hour(s), 51 Min(s), and 57 Sec(s)

File information:122619-12187-01.dmp (Dec 26 2019 - 15:24:06)
Probably caused by:Unknown_Image (Process: NVDisplay.Cont)

File information:122619-11906-01.dmp (Dec 26 2019 - 15:27:48)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 16 Sec(s)

File information:122519-14359-01.dmp (Dec 25 2019 - 15:37:54)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 40 Sec(s)

File information:122519-14078-01.dmp (Dec 25 2019 - 15:40:12)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: TunnelBear.Mai)

File information:122519-13843-01.dmp (Dec 25 2019 - 15:36:22)
Probably caused by:Unknown_Image (Process: Discord.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 9 Hour(s), 55 Min(s), and 09 Sec(s)

File information:122519-11906-01.dmp (Dec 25 2019 - 15:41:42)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Probably caused by:GenuineIntel (Process: sppsvc.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 18 Sec(s)

File information:122419-15234-01.dmp (Dec 24 2019 - 17:27:25)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 46 Sec(s)
Comment: The GPU tweaking driver "iomap64.sys" was found on your system. (AI Suite or GPU Tweak 2)
Comment: Crash #2 caused by RTKVHD64.sys.
Comment: Crash #3 caused by NVIDIA.
Comment: Crash #4 caused by RTKVHD64.sys.
Comment: Crash #8 has 2 possible causes: CPU or possibly pirated Windows (I'm not claiming that).

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Sucks to be you man, hope you get better soon, take care of yourself!

I'm using GPU tweak 2 for fan control of the gpu..

I'll have a look into the realtek driver, as I've just recently (a couple of days ago) bought some new headphones, and I think they were idd plugged in when the crashes happened, Dunno if coincidence or not..
Beforehand, when I wasn't using headphones (3.5mm jack), the sound was handled through the graphics card / hdmi..

Also, will do a clean install of the graphic drivers, as I've also updated them just recently, but the first "round" of bsod's hapenned before I updated them anyways..

Oh, also Windows 10 is legit and activated, just to rule this out..

Reactions: gardenman

Colif

Win 11 Master
Gardenman should take more time off.

i am inclined to suspect all clock watchdog timeouts likely caused by the Sound drivers

3.5mm jack would be attached to motherboard sound, so yes, it would use realtek
Jun 26 2018RTKVHD64.sysRealtek Audio System driver

well, latest on motherboard site older than what is installed (not surprised)
Their drivers used to be easy to find, now easiest way to find them is here - https://www.tenforums.com/sound-audio/135259-latest-realtek-hd-audio-driver-version-2-a.html

if you go for the version thats on windows store you also need another driver - https://www.tenforums.com/sound-aud...o-console-requires-realtek-hd-uad-driver.html (I would just get the normal HDA versions, they have links to explain it all)

Reactions: gardenman