Jun 14, 2020
I have a computer which usually downloads anything as 4-8 mbps speed. But since yesterday there seems to be a cap where the downloads are capped at 1mbps. When i took speed test it was fine but during download it gets stuck at 1mbps. I tried to download the same torrent file which i did last week with better speed and now it seems to be stuck at 1. I did make a change yesterday where i added a 1TB hard drive to my system. but how is adding hard drive is gonna change my internet and torrent. Does anyone a solution to resolve this.

I have a computer which usually downloads anything as 4-8 mbps speed. But since yesterday there seems to be a cap where the downloads are capped at 1mbps. When i took speed test it was fine but during download it gets stuck at 1mbps. I tried to download the same torrent file which i did last week with better speed and now it seems to be stuck at 1. I did make a change yesterday where i added a 1TB hard drive to my system. but how is adding hard drive is gonna change my internet and torrent. Does anyone a solution to resolve this.
Which kind of internet connection do you have ?

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
What are your speed test results? What is your NIC negotiating at?

You might have bumped something and the cable is only negotiating at 10 mbps (~1 MB/sec download rate). I'd reconnect the ethernet cable and/or try a different one

I would definitely check the cable as beers mentioned, but also a hard drive can write slower than an ssd, so depending on what you are downloading and how many small pieces it has, this can be a factor as well.

The best thing to do is to test a speedtest in general. If that is the same, then it's just the torrent.

Jun 14, 2020
That's problem with torrents, download speed depends on number and sending speed of peers. Torrent clients also have option to limit the bandwidth so they don't interfere with internet operation, you might want to check for that in your client program.
It is not just torrents. All downloads have same impact. I mentioned torrent just as example.

Jun 14, 2020
What are your speed test results? What is your NIC negotiating at?

You might have bumped something and the cable is only negotiating at 10 mbps (~1 MB/sec download rate). I'd reconnect the ethernet cable and/or try a different one
I tried to reconnect but still having same issue. Is there any settings that has capped the speed.

Jun 14, 2020
I would definitely check the cable as beers mentioned, but also a hard drive can write slower than an ssd, so depending on what you are downloading and how many small pieces it has, this can be a factor as well.

The best thing to do is to test a speedtest in general. If that is the same, then it's just the torrent.
Do you think adding a new hard drive to get more space will impact the speed? It i not torrents alone, every download has same speed.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Honestly, this topic is still missing hard data.

What is the speed you're paying for? What is the result of your speedtest? What's the exact data for your download speed for non-torrents?

And make sure you're posting the exact units: some of these things are typically given in MBps and some in Mbps and these are not interchangeable.

Jun 14, 2020
Honestly, this topic is still missing hard data.

What is the speed you're paying for? What is the result of your speedtest? What's the exact data for your download speed for non-torrents?

And make sure you're posting the exact units: some of these things are typically given in MBps and some in Mbps and these are not interchangeable.
My exact speed offered by my service provider is 100 Mbps for which i get around average 5-8 in MBps. with highest reaching upto 10MBps.

Now when i did a speed test it shows 9Mbps for which i get 1MBps and does not go beyond that. The speed is same for both torrent and non-torrents files which i usually been doing all these years.

I have even checked my FUP (Fair usage policy) status where i have not yet reached the limit.

Thanks !

TRENDING THREADS