Suddenly my laptop has no sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

May I ask, just before you enter your desktop, is it already not making a sound? Do first what fios-dave said. If the problem is still there, try downloading an update for your sound driver. Then if, the problem is still now solved, re-install your Win 8.

fios-dave

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

Check to make sure that you haven't hit the Mute function key by accident. It may be F11 (or close to it!)
Some systems require you to hold down a function key while doing that. That key is usually near the bottom
left of the keyboard, next to the CTRL key or the Windows Logo key.

k_z199

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

May I ask, just before you enter your desktop, is it already not making a sound? Do first what fios-dave said. If the problem is still there, try downloading an update for your sound driver. Then if, the problem is still now solved, re-install your Win 8.

Solution

R3Dx

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014
do this
Start -> control panel -> Device Manager -> sound,video and game controllers

click on the sound,video and game controllers theres will be :

High definition Audio or Realtek High definition Audio

right click on it and Disable it > yes > yes > it will restart the pc or laptop
then when ur pc starts again it will popup a window asking u to solve the problem with the sound
just go through it and its done :)

thats work for me ( Alienware Laptop )

Gecko580

Reputable
Nov 8, 2014

Thankyou! Your fix worked. This was a scary situation. I thought I was managing OK with my switchover to windows 8, until the sound stopped. Still not sure what caused it though...

Sonu King

Reputable
Nov 21, 2014
Right-Click on the My Computer icon.Click on Manage.Then go to Device Manager>sound,video and game controllers>Realtek Hi-Definition Audio,right-click it and click uninstall.Then it will tell you to Restart your Laptop.Do it and you will get your sound back.

shelbynicole

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014

I did this but now it just says my sound is disabled, there was no pop up window

Status
Not open for further replies.