Suddenly no signs of life from my graphics card!

Smitmeistars

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014
Hello everyone!
I built a whole new pc and everything was running fine for about 2 months and then one day
I was playing need for speed world and suddenly my monitor turned into black and i thought it was just ordinary pc froze so i restarted the computer and the black screen was still there so i decided to open computers case to look and i saw that gpu fan was not spinning. I shut down the computer and when i pressed the power button to boot up pc i saw that gpu fan started to spin for half secound and then stopped and still no signal to monitor. when i switched to onboard graphics i noticed that the driver which i had installed for my graphics card was gone like i i would have uninstalled them completely from my computer.

my specs

corsair vs550 psu
asus h61m-c motherboard
amd r7 250x graphics card
toshiba hdd 500gb

Solution
It sounds probable that your graphics card has failed. If the fan spins a tiny bit that would indicate it is still connected to the card as that would have been the first thing I'd check. check the PCIe power connector is still plugged into the graphics card and that the card is properly seated in it's slot (easiest way to do this is remove and reinsert making sure you press the plastic tabs at the back of the PCIe slot to release the card)

It is also possible that your motherboard slot is not working.

Are you able to either...

1. Borrow someone else's graphics card and try it in your machine

or

2. Try your graphics card in another machine

If you don't know anyone that can help you with this then you could take the card to a...

plywrlw

Admirable
It sounds probable that your graphics card has failed. If the fan spins a tiny bit that would indicate it is still connected to the card as that would have been the first thing I'd check. check the PCIe power connector is still plugged into the graphics card and that the card is properly seated in it's slot (easiest way to do this is remove and reinsert making sure you press the plastic tabs at the back of the PCIe slot to release the card)

It is also possible that your motherboard slot is not working.

Are you able to either...

1. Borrow someone else's graphics card and try it in your machine

or

2. Try your graphics card in another machine

If you don't know anyone that can help you with this then you could take the card to a local PC store for them to test probably for a small fee.

Solution