Question Suddenly no sound HP laptop

aqcheryl

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
I’ve lost sound on my computer suddenly, and I’ve checked and tried everything I can think of, outside of resetting my computer or doing a reinstall of Windows, as I have many programs installed I don’t want to lose. (And I’ve read on other threads, where someone did a 100% full clean install and still had issues)

I’m hoping someone can help me figure this out without resorting to that.

I was listening to Youtube, but I paused so I could look at file folders(I mean physical folders not computer) that I placed on my laptop keyboard (which by the way is a HP Envy model 17t-j100 2.8ghz with Windows 10 64-bit, latest update), and after I removed them, I went to resume the video and there was no sound.

Also, I see people on here having sound issues with Realtek since last update. I have IDT High Definition Audio CODEC version 6.10. I recently had an update to my computer about four days ago, but the sound only cut off now.

I checked my volume, still full at 100%/not turned off or muted. I checked the tab on Firefox, not muted. I opened a song through windows media player, still nothing.

Note: My laptop does not have any external buttons(outside of keyboard) or switches to disable sound; and even then, the sound icon in Windows would indicate its muted.

I went into Sound properties, and the driver is set as default. I do not have an enhancements tab, so there’s nothing there to turn off.
My audio driver comes with Beats audio, and I opened those properties, but those are all turned on/yp.

I tried Windows troubleshooter but nothing worked. Rebooted several times...reinstalled the driver a couple times. Safe mode won’t load drivers.

I did a system restore, to no avail. I have done a virus scan, but nothings showing up.

If I connect to my airpods or an external speaker via Bluetooth, I have sound.

I’m at my wits end here. All I can think of is that it seems like somewhere something got turned off. Though I would have thought by reinstalling the driver that would be all fixed. I really don’t think it’s my hardware.

D

Deleted member 14196

How old is this laptop? If it’s under warranty I would have it looked at and repaired. But you should still back up all your data in case you had to do a clean install of windows and write down all the programs you need to re-download and install

aqcheryl

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Its out of warranty, but Im hoping its something Im overlooking. Ive been backing up all night, but my post is in the hopes of not having to go that far.

I just tried regular headphones, no sound; even though I can get it through airpods, which is odd to me. This really seems like a driver issue to me, because if it was the soundcard I wouldnt get sound anywhere. But Ive tried reinstalling it many times.

Last edited: