Suddenly, PowerColor's 'Devil Box' External GPU With AMD XConnect Is Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Would love to see compatibility comparisons with the razor core. I've seen videos where the core will not work certain notebooks. I am wondering if this will work on the razor blade notebook, the intel NUC, and the branched out to see if it will or will not work on other products.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Still too much money, even if they did undercut Razer. The Alienware unit is a lot more reasonable, but I think there's a market for a more entry-level unit to pair with a less-expensive laptop. Something around $100 that "only" supports up to 150W graphics cards and doesn't power the laptop itself (I would use an extension cord or a spare supply cable so the laptop's external PSU is easily detached without fishing). Even a $100-150 latest-gen graphics card would add a lot of ooomph to a $500-ish laptop. For a little headroom and the extras like additional ports you could equip it with a 200-250W PSU.

Then you just need more manufacturers to build devices that support it over Type C, without needing to get into the higher-end.

The msi gaming dock and gaming dock mini has been out for many months now so it's not a maybe. It's just not sold separately and only sold with the gs30 and gs32 respectively. But like dell, it's proprietary. Amazon says May but that article is June.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

I think we'll see more of that very soon, from multiple dock vendors. We've been pressing Razer, Asus, etc. on that for over a year. The answer is, essentially: Any laptop with a USB Type-C (w/ Thunderbolt over Type-C) that has the proper firmware/software should be able to support the USB Type-C docks.

Those OEMs have been working directly with Nvidia/AMD to make it work. XConnect is one of the results of those efforts, as I understand it.

Basically, it's not a complex solution, but it's one that needs to be implemented. Because the docks themselves are generally pretty new, and so are the Nvidia/AMD solutions, you have to figure that step 1 is convincing laptop makers to enable the functionality at all, and step 2 is waiting for product refresh cycles.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Good catch, thanks--

Status
Not open for further replies.