Suddenly slower speedtest.net results than normal

AlexM1

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
In my household there are two computers, both connected by ethernet. The one I primarily use gets slower internet than the other, and it always has. I never bothered to look into it too much because the download speed was still acceptable. Before, I was getting 20-25 ping, 12-15 mb/s download speed, and around 6 mp/s upload. Just yesterday, I took another speedtest and my ping remains more or less the same, but my download speed has decreased to 4 mb/s and my upload has slightly decreased to 5 mb/s. I have searched other threads and uninstalled programs such as AVG Web tuneup and so on, but have had no success with my lower speeds. I have run many anti malware scans through AVG and malwarebytes, but no threats have been detected. Please help me if you can, it would be much appreciated :)

Motherboard: ASRock z97 anniversary
CPU: Intel i5-4690 @ 3.5 GHz
GPU: AMD R9 390

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Do you get similar results on testmy.net?
Anyone "seeding" in your household?
Can you run a lan speed test to the other computer and vice versa (might need to setup file sharing) to see if you get expected speeds across the LAN (should be above 500Mbps)?
Are your LAN drivers up to date from ASRock website?

AlexM1

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016

I did receive simiar results on testmy.net, no one is seeding, and my LAN drivers are up to date.

There are not a lot of simple things this can be. You could try a different lan cable or port on the router. Make sure the setting for speed and duplex in the nic setting is AUTO.

You can use a really old line mode program called IPERF. You would load it on both your machines. If you have gig ports on your router you should get at least 800mbit rates between machines in your house. This is a very simplistic program and it is not effected by disk,memory or cpu constraints. It pretty much only tests the network part of the computer and OS.

Still I am not real sure what you would do if you do not see issues with iperf it means it is the browser or something strange. If you would see problems with iperf all you really have is the driver and the tcp stack in the OS.

AlexM1

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016

Ok, I will try IPERF and get back with the results.

AlexM1

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
Funny, I took out my ethernet box and replugged it, and I was fine. I can't believe I didn't think of that earlier. Thank you everyone for helping!