Suddenly SSD Dead?

Mar 22, 2018
Hi All,

I have a Samsung SSD 840 Pro where one day i turned it on my computer all i got was a black screen with a cursor. My hope was that if I followed the windows suggestion to check the drive that everything would be fixed. All it returned was file had an invalid security key and it was putting in the default security key. I stopped this process after it got to maybe 600,000 files or something by holding down the power button. I eventually narrowed it down to hard drive issues. I verified by connecting a hard drive i know worked and it booted with no issues.

The drive is reporting 100% used on MiniTool partition wizard 2 partitions 100mb and the rest of the drive. It shows up on My computer as a drive reporting 0 free space 0 used space. I believe the last time i look it had over 50gb left in the ssd but i could easily be wrong.

i can't access its contents, if i attempt to boot up from it ( it has windows 7 installed) i end back up with the black screen with a controllable cursor(right click doesnt work either). Attempting sticky keys does not work (i think i disabled it maybe?), task manager does not open, crtl shift esc does
nothing. Other than the mouse nothing seems responsive.

I still have warranty for the product but i can't seem to back up what was in there as they will wipe the disk after receiving it for repairs. Ideally i would like to recover the drive, i have not attempted to format it yet. Samsung magician reports the drive as good but only reports total capacity.

Thoughts and opinions? Thanks all.

*Update

After MiniTool Partition wizard attempted to recover partition on the SSD it found a bunch of lost/deleted sectors. It told me i had to pay for pro to "recover them". Anyone have experience with this and should i just pay it?

My thoughts are....because it seems it is TOTALLY full....it won't boot.

I would boot from another drive and see if you can access it that way.

If you can.....delete stuff on it....like empty the recycle bin....get rid of internet cache...things like that.....make some room on it.....then try and reboot it.

Mar 22, 2018

I can't access the drive when i boot from another drive. I think it narrowed it down to some type of corruption, side effect is corruption of the boot up process. After using disk cleanup on it, it caused the drive to be responsive and able to be overwritten by windows installation disk so i reinstalled windows on it and was able to finally boot up from that drive. But I lost about 90gb of data from the hard drive(this is from the disk cleanup process not windows install). I see another 100gb worth of data still in the drive according to my computer and MiniTool Partition wizard. However the folders in the ssd are all empty except for the fresh install of windows.

What are my options of recovering the hidden data that is stored on the ssd? Should i be worried that this can happen again to the ssd? I don't know the exact cause of failure right now, i can only speculate that it was some update or installation of a program. I may just settle for calling it quits and accepting the reality everything is lost. However if i can't rely on a product as highly rated as this ssd should i accept the fact that i should have a back upand backup regularly?