Question Suddenly started lagging with good components.

DylanJM

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019
Suddenly started lagging on all games after making no changes to PC.
Components are:
i5 6600k
Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64
16x2GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance
MSI Z270 Gaming Plus
Seasonic Focus Gold 850W
Kingston 240GB SSD
Western Digital 240GB SSD
Seagate 1TB HDD.

CPU utilization is always 100% when playing games but it's always been like that. All cores are at 4.1GHz Idle CPU temps are at 50-60 which seems off. And max temps are 80-90 when on games.
Whenever the Ryzen 9 3900x is in stock I'll be upgrading to that so I hope that ends up fixing it.

What games, and what do you mean by lagging?

Yes, your PC is being held back by your CPU little I suspect, specially if it's maxed all the time.

If your idle clocks are 4.1 (OC i presume) and your temps are high, then you have too much voltage. Your OC is possibly unstable.

Take off the OC and see if the lagging stops. It may not as the CPU will still be maxed.

With the Ryzen, you will need a new mobo too. You can re-use most other parts including the ram. Getting a Ryzen 3700x would be plenty for your needs. a 3900 is just a waste of cash if your not looking for the absolute best, and/or high productivity usage.

DylanJM

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019
What games, and what do you mean by lagging?

Yes, your PC is being held back by your CPU little I suspect, specially if it's maxed all the time.

If your idle clocks are 4.1 (OC i presume) and your temps are high, then you have too much voltage. Your OC is possibly unstable.

Take off the OC and see if the lagging stops. It may not as the CPU will still be maxed.

With the Ryzen, you will need a new mobo too. You can re-use most other parts including the ram. Getting a Ryzen 3700x would be plenty for your needs. a 3900 is just a waste of cash if your not looking for the absolute best, and/or high productivity usage.

Every games I'm playing at the moment. It doesn't constantly lag but just gets lag spikes frequently followed by a bit of lag then goes back to normal. Games include Dead By Daylight, Overwatch and even CSGO where FPS is at like over 300.
The clocks being at 4.1 is just the MSI Gaming boost thing not my own overclocking.

And about the Ryzen. I have an X570 Taichi and I know the CPU is overkill but I want to be able to use it for a long time and am looking to go into things over than gaming soon. And yeah I just want the absolute best. ALSO planning on getting Trident Z 16x2GB 3600MHz RAM.

DylanJM

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019
Let everything run at stock, turn of MSI OC'er or whatever app it is, and be sure it's not the OC causing the issue.
Tried it didn't do anything. I went back to an earlier AMD driver and it helped a little bit but it still happens. Maybe my CPU is just dying or something?

DylanJM

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019
I doubt it. CPU's unless abused can last a long time.

Have you update GPU drivers, System drivers, bios etc? And what about windows, fully updated?

GPU driver are no longer fully updated because I went back to see if that'd help and it did a little bit I think. All system drivers are up to date as well as bios and windows.