Question Suddenly system slow and stalling - maybe heating problem?

Wotsgreen

Commendable
Mar 17, 2017
My PC is at times going into a crawl where the mouse cursor slowly drags itself acrosss the screen or simply locks up for a few seconds. It then resumes to normal for a little while (10-60 seconds) and the it starts over. This happens just using Windows and normal browsing/youtube. I do not experience any deadlocks or blue screen of death.

This problems started a few days ago without any changes to the system. Before that the system ran flawlessly for a couple of years.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz - overclocked to 4.5Ghz using motherboards automode
ASUS MAXIMUS IX APEX - latest bios
16 GB Corsair RAM (2xblocks)
NVIDEA 1080Ti
Samsung SSD disk
Windows 7

I have tried killing off any programs not used in the task manager and unplugging any unused pheripherials.

The CPU temperature is around 50C just on startup and going up to max 85C . I have tried configuring the CPU fan speed to max. and confirmed it runs. This did not change anything. The temperaturs tend to swing wildly from 50C to 77C every half second. Is that normal? I'm using HWMonitor.

Are the CPU temperatures indicating a problem, should I try replacing fan/thermal paste?

Alternatively I have a gut feeling the problem seems to be triggered by disk usage, but this is very hard to validate.

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to figure out what is now causing this?
Many thanks in advance as I'm pretty stuck on what to do.

Last edited: