Suddenly this copy of windows is not genuine

G

so i was playing diablo 3, it minimised itself and says this, the copy is no doubt genuine as the hdd i am using was from a shop bought prebuilt pc, not sure what to do about it any help would be nice!

If you took the harddrive from a prebuilt PC and put it in a different one it will not work. It is an OEM version of windows and tied to the motherboard of the original computer. You will have to buy your own copy.

G

so what is the difference if i dont buy a new copy

G

i didnt pirate it thought, im just using a old hdd

you are using an old HDD with an OEM version of windows on it. As stated above that version of windows is tied into the original mobo, this allows the version of windows to be a lot cheaper.

You might be able to do a telephony authorisation of windows and they will sometimes let you reauthorise it.

We don't know that. All we know is you do not have a valid license, and an OEM license is no longer valid if you use it on a new PC. Technically you ARE pirating it and in violation of the license agreement. We can't help bypass validation

G

why didnt i get this message as soon as i used my new mobo and weeks after?

pastit

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
I have the same problem with a copy I know is genuine (An unopened copy which came with my laptop)
It started doing it after the last MS upgrade. Has something changed to make Windows think some copies are not genuine?
JB