Question (SOLVED) Suddenly very low fps

Jun 25, 2022
Hello everyone,

I've been using this pc for about 1,5 years and I never had any problem until today. I dusted my pc today and when I tried playing some games I noticed that I had very low fps, like where I would get 90fps average I would now only get 30fps average.

My gpu readings seem normal, 100% gpu usage, 1950mhz core clock, but my temps went from 62° average to only 50-52°.

This might explain why my temps are lower: my gpu wattage is way lower than before, like 70-80 watt lower.

I then looked at some recorded game footage I had made before this problem occurred and the only difference I could find between the recorded footage and the results I'm getting now, is that my gpu temperature now is 10° cooler, wattage is 70-80 lower and my performance decreased by like 60fps. The rest of the readings were all the same as I have now. (So 100% gpu usage and an average 1950mhz core clock)

I reinstalled my gpu drivers with DDU, but that didn't fix my problem. I then tried to see if my gpu power cables where plugged in fully and they were. And yes I'm using my RTX 3080 not my integrated graphics, the 10700KF doesn't have integrated graphics anyways.

I don't really know what else I can do to fix this problem, I just find it really weird that my gpu memory usage suddenly dropped by 40% compared to before and that my gpu wattage is also lower than before.

I hope I gave you guys enough information, if I’m missing anything please let me know.

Specs:

GPU: RTX 3080 10GB

CPU: I7 10700KF

RAM: 2X8 3600MHZ CL16

PSU: RM850X

Motherboard: Tomahawk Z490

I also play on a 4K monitor

Edit: this happens on all games not just battlefield 2042.

SOLVED:

I looked at some info in GPU-Z and I saw something very odd, the bus interface showed this: PCIe x16.4.0 @ x1.1.1 and under load it showed X16.4.0 @ X1.3.0 I then figured that my gpu was probably not seated correctly. So I reseated my gpu and the bus interface is now PCIe x16.4.0 @ x16.1.1 and PCIe x16.4.0 @ x16.3.0 under load. My games also perform how they should perform, 90fps average for bf2042, 80 fps average for gta v and 75 for rdr2. Instead of 30-40fps average.

So reseating my gpu solved this problem.

Last edited:

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
How many players were in the server then vs. now ? A lot of games are more CPU than GPU intensive. The ones with fluctuating numbers of "actors" players or npcs, will fluctuate the most in performance, CPU wise. As for 4K and vs UHD, performance drop is expected, is that the change you made after 1.5 years ?

Jun 25, 2022
How many players were in the server then vs. now ? A lot of games are more CPU than GPU intensive. The ones with fluctuating numbers of "actors" players or npcs, will fluctuate the most in performance, CPU wise. As for 4K and vs UHD, performance drop is expected, is that the change you made after 1.5 years ?
I played multiple rounds and they all were full of players. Same game mode, same map, same amount of players.

I also never changed monitors or anything else in those 1,5 years, so I did get the 90fps average when playing on 4K, but now I only get 30fps. I didn’t change anything to my pc, I only took my gpu out to dust my gpu and pc and put it back in.

Jun 25, 2022
Also keep in mind that it’s not just battlefield. Games like gta v and red dead redemption also perform significantly worse. Let’s say from an average 80-90fps to 30-40fps.