[SOLVED] Suddenly very low performance with ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC

Oct 29, 2021
Hi all,

All of the sudden I am getting 4-6 FPS on the Witcher 3.

My system is:
  • Ryzen 5600X
  • MSI B550 Tomahawk
  • 500GB WD Blue SSD
  • ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600
  • CORSAIR RM850x
I noticed recently that my games were not playing as smoothly. I recently downloaded Hellblade and I was getting around 30FPS which I thought was low so I decided to fire up The Witcher 3 again which previously was running >100FPS at 2K resolution and noticed that it had slowed to a crawl at 4-6 FPS.

I have tried to uninstall all NVIDIA drivers and re-install (from ASUS's website and also GeForce experience). I have checked the power supply wires, set my PC power mode to performance, disabled windows' game mode, etc. When I monitor the in-game stats it seems that the GPU clock/load are not very high. Screenshot below shows stats during Witcher 3 gameplay:
F3ZhSUw.png

I also ran userbenchmark here: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/47466792

I'm not sure what I could've done recently for this to happen (such as driver updates, etc). I started noticing this not long after installing Epic's 'Core' game, which I have since uninstalled along with the Epic Game Launcher so I'm not sure that was related.

I'd appreciate any help/hints, thank you!

Solution
Unfortunately I don't have another system to try on
gotta be some friend, family member, co-worker, etc with a system & PCIe slot you can use for a few minutes...
PSU is brand new but might be worth a try before trying to RMA the card
the RMx series is pretty highly rated/trustworthy.
i would be very surprised if it was related to the issue.
I will try the fresh OS next

hopefully a fresh OS install cures the issue(s).
Oct 29, 2021
try running DDU in safe mode and totally remove any existing graphics related drivers, files, settings, etc.
then try installing the latest package directly from Nvidia without GeForce Experience.
see if you notice any improvement.
Thanks for the suggestion, I followed the instructions for DDU and installed the driver stand-alone but I'm still getting 4-6 FPS :/

Oct 29, 2021
that sucks.
you can also try a fresh OS install. many times corrupt OS can lead to odd performance issues.
but it can also just be a bad card that has malfunctioned. i would try it another system and see how it performs.
Thanks, I will try the fresh OS next

Unfortunately I don't have another system to try on, the last thing I was thinking of trying was to try a new power supply, I read that power supply issues could lead to performance drops. PSU is brand new but might be worth a try before trying to RMA the card

Unfortunately I don't have another system to try on
gotta be some friend, family member, co-worker, etc with a system & PCIe slot you can use for a few minutes...
PSU is brand new but might be worth a try before trying to RMA the card
the RMx series is pretty highly rated/trustworthy.
i would be very surprised if it was related to the issue.
I will try the fresh OS next

hopefully a fresh OS install cures the issue(s).

Solution

yea but lets say they have a computer, whos to say its going to have a good enough cpu to even push 100fps to the 3080... ? So thats a tough route to go unless he has another gamer friend or family member.

A normal house computer wont work for the test. The power supply probably wouldnt even turn the pc on with the gpu lol.

whos to say its going to have a good enough cpu to even push 100fps...
A normal house computer wont work for the test. The power supply probably wouldnt even turn the pc on with the gpu lol.
and we're not looking for anywhere near 100fps, just to verify if the card is still stuck ~4-6fps in games.

and of course anyone who knew how a GPU works would be taking their PSU with them if this secondary system didn't offer an adequate model.

and we're not looking for anywhere near 100fps, just to verify if the card is still stuck ~4-6fps in games.

and of course anyone who knew how a GPU works would be taking their PSU with them if this secondary system didn't offer an adequate model.

Most people he knows w a pc, unless a gamer or someone like us, is going to have a office computer. He will still be getting VERY low FPS if thats the case n wouldnt be a solution or giving us any more knowledge on whether its his system or the gpu itself. It has to be tested on a similar pc or at least a cpu capable of giving 60fps to see if the performance is proper.

Also, most people aint going to allow someone to tear apart their pc to use a different psu. I mean if he can find someone sure, by all means this is the best way. But most people dont have good computers to even be able to troubleshoot an issue with "better" gpus.

Most people he knows w a pc, unless a gamer or someone like us, is going to have a office computer. He will still be getting VERY low FPS...

Also, most people aint going to allow someone to tear apart their pc to use a different psu
maybe you've never had many associates but for the last 20 years or so i've always known at very least a few locally that were enthusiasts in some way or another that would have a system powerful enough for basic testing purposes.
Also, most people aint going to allow someone to tear apart their pc to use a different psu
and maybe you've never been very likeable or trustworthy but many times in the past i've used friends & coworkers systems for similar tests.
sometimes even having coworkers bring in their systems just for tearing down in the office during breaks for multiple component testing.

i would hope most others also keep in contact with enough people on the "outside" that some would be available to offer some help in this form...

Oct 29, 2021
Thanks ya'll for the discussion here. My brother in-law would've been my go-to if I needed to try another PC. He's got a gaming PC with an RTX 2060.

Good news though, after doing a fresh OS install The Witcher is back to ~140-160 FPS. So I'm not sure what happened there, like I mentioned earlier I started noticing this after installing Manticore's Core but that could've just been a fluke.

Thanks ya'll for the discussion here. My brother in-law would've been my go-to if I needed to try another PC. He's got a gaming PC with an RTX 2060.

Good news though, after doing a fresh OS install The Witcher is back to ~140-160 FPS. So I'm not sure what happened there, like I mentioned earlier I started noticing this after installing Manticore's Core but that could've just been a fluke.

Im glad it worked for you :)