GTX 750ti
8GB RAM DDR3
1tb WD HDD
500 GB WD HDD

I can sell this pc for about 240$
What better system can I build after that? I'll have approximately 400$

Solution
Lenovo 9HKT43AUS
That's the BIOS version, not the model number, which could be any of several different models, all with the same motherboard or close enough.

And that's the issue. Lenovo, Dell, HP etc are all under the premise of 'if you wanted better, you should have bought the upgraded model to start with'. Meaning chances of an i7 working are slim to none. You might get the bios to recognise another i5, but the differences between a 2400 and 2500 are too minor to justify the expense. So unless you can get one for free or close, you are basically stuck for cpu.

Gpu. Determined by 2 things. Size of the case and size of the psu. You might be able to fit a 1650 inside, but that's also depending on if your psu will support the...
Jan 21, 2021
With 160$ budget, you can get a good SSD, but the faster ones require interfaces that you do not have (NVMe)... There is nothing I would keep from your system.
Try to get something from the build contest, or look for a CPU/mobo/memory combo off ebay.
Hey, thanks for responding

SSD seems like a good idea, but I'd rather save this cash for a component that will get me more "direct" performance? like a cpu/gpu...etc

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Lenovo 9HKT43AUS
That's the BIOS version, not the model number, which could be any of several different models, all with the same motherboard or close enough.

And that's the issue. Lenovo, Dell, HP etc are all under the premise of 'if you wanted better, you should have bought the upgraded model to start with'. Meaning chances of an i7 working are slim to none. You might get the bios to recognise another i5, but the differences between a 2400 and 2500 are too minor to justify the expense. So unless you can get one for free or close, you are basically stuck for cpu.

Gpu. Determined by 2 things. Size of the case and size of the psu. You might be able to fit a 1650 inside, but that's also depending on if your psu will support the better gpu, and has the power connectors for it, or you'll be needing to replace the psu, which doesn't always work in those cases as they are often proprietary. The best direct swap would be a GT1030 if your current gpu is unpowered by external cables.

With current prices, there's nothing you can build that'll get you better performance than what you already have. The only realistic upgrade is to a decent sized ssd and make the hdd into long term storage. That Does have a direct impact on a lot of games, not really increasing fps as much as it'll drastically increase load times for maps, drops etc. Really sux in CSGO that when you finally get to move, most of the team has already breached and died and are still waiting on you to die so they can reload the map. Ssd works @ 5x faster than hdd, you'll drop in 6-8 seconds instead of 30.

That and windows itself, including web pages, is much 'snappier' to get around in, as well as boot times going from 1½ - 2minutes down to 8-25 seconds.

Solution