Suggest light duty computer - Adobe Illustrator - small budget - Windows

Jul 23, 2018
Hello,

Please help me understand which computer / system / tower / mini pc or other might fit my need - I believe it will need to run Win 10.

Computer experience: Decades as mac user / some years Linux user. Over 10 yrs ago I did simple upgrades to my own equipment (desktop and laptop) - install RAM - replace HD - etc. I can do it if the instructions are very clear (pictures help).

My computer use:
I use(d) both Inkscape and Adobe Illustrator to create low-CPU-taxing vector-based designs - typography. I rasterize some vector work using Gimp presently. (Formerly Photoshop - but photoshop is overkill for this simple need.) If it takes several minutes to convert each vector image to raster - that really doesn't matter to me. Converting an image is something I do maybe 4 times a day at best. The bulk of my work is in Illustrator.

Don't really think dedicated graphics card would be of great importance. This is just light illustrator work.

Don't really think I'd need more than an i3 - since Illustrator doesn't do that much better with a faster processor.

How often do I do this work?
Every day. Self employed. Small online shop.

Which OS?
This new system will probably have to be Windows. Last time I used Windows, it felt like Windows took over the entire system. So I'm leery of this, but I think I have to do Windows to accomplish my work goals. (Being able to dual boot in linux would be kind of nice.)

What's the problem?
Had to switch back to Mac last year even though I liked Linux - I needed some things only Illustrator could do to make my work more efficient. (Loathe the subscription service of Adobe.) Presently using Mac Book Pro mid-2015 - retina screen. Largely, I like this machine. However, it runs hot as a pistol sometimes. Wow. Have noticed that some Mac updates will send it careening into the too hot to touch for long zone. When it does that - it will not allow anything to be plugged into the USB ports for more than a few minutes before losing internet connectivity. Sometimes it can't see the USB ports either. It was behaving for the last several months, but started again last night after a new mac security update. So I need to have a back up system to work on - because I just can't trust my expensive Macbook Pro anymore. (Have dealt with their support - useless. Can't drop it at Apple repair because I need it to keep creating work for my customers. Plus it would be out of my pocket and I can just imagine they'll want to put in a new motherboard.) My old linux laptops would just barely get me by doing my work if the MacBook dies today.

Online searches of best system for my needs yields 95% laptops - and I am not sure I want to gamble on another overheating laptop. Small form factor now has me nervous for heat issues. Plus, I'm paying a premium for small factor - and I don't really need it. Well, maybe I do a little bit - I like to put a small lap-desk, then cooling pad, then laptop on my lap. Some physical injuries make that far more workable than sitting at a desk. I will not necessarily travel with this system, but it would be nice to move it from room to room in the house each day.

Was thinking mini-PC - but read they run hot too.

Was thinking a monitor built for traveling - as I could pick it up and move it daily. It doesn't need to even cover the full RGB gamut. I'm not doing photo editing - but using a limited palette of solid colors typically. It doesn't need to be much bigger than this 15" macbook screen - but would be nice if larger of course.

Wondering how I work on my lap/desk using a non-laptop computer.

Have become disenchanted with Mac's pricing - and the inability to modify or add ram etc to a system.

Would not be averse to something I have to partially build - as long as I can find directions, pictures, or a video helping me see what to do.

Budget-wise, I need to keep this very low. The outlay for the MacBook Pro was supposed to be it for at least 2-3 years. It's just over a year old now.

Should I look at used? My linux stuff was all used. Always like buying a pig-in-a-poke, but if the price is low enough, I'd gamble on it.

Would a tower be cheapest - and allow upgrading by me?

What do you recommend?

Thanks for helping.

Solution
if you can go from 8g of ram to 16g. with newer pc your better off with one kit of ram and leaving two ram slots open in case one goes bad from age. as a work pc if you have a lot of windows open the more ram a pc or mac has the smother it run. on the power supply look at the older seasonic s620 or newer 650w focus units or higher end cosair units. you want a larger power supply is if you want to add a gpu latter on you have the extra wattage for it. it save you from pulling the old power supply out. when you have the extra funds look into having two monitor set up. have office and email open on one monitor and other work open on the other monitor. also look at pre built dell and hp. stores like newegg and micro center always have...

logainofhades

Titan
Low power, and small, this would work.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($118.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - B360M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($87.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($90.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($92.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba - 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($41.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Cooler Master - Elite 110 Mini ITX Tower Case ($45.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.99 @ Adorama)
Total: $628.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-23 17:28 EDT-0400

Jul 23, 2018
Thank you so much for taking the time to detail your solution. Now I better understand the components I'd need to consider in building a system.

Thank you again for your help.

if you can go from 8g of ram to 16g. with newer pc your better off with one kit of ram and leaving two ram slots open in case one goes bad from age. as a work pc if you have a lot of windows open the more ram a pc or mac has the smother it run. on the power supply look at the older seasonic s620 or newer 650w focus units or higher end cosair units. you want a larger power supply is if you want to add a gpu latter on you have the extra wattage for it. it save you from pulling the old power supply out. when you have the extra funds look into having two monitor set up. have office and email open on one monitor and other work open on the other monitor. also look at pre built dell and hp. stores like newegg and micro center always have discount pc as vendors try to clear out older cpu/pc stock as newer cpu drop.

Solution
Jul 23, 2018
Thank you, Smorizio. That's very helpful. 16gb of ram is what I'd like to start with - good advice to get it on one stick. Powersupply, monitors, and prebuilts - got it - thank you. Micro Center is new to me - good to know about them too. Thanks for taking the time. The more I learn the more I realize I need to know yet.