Question Suggest Motherboard for Ryzen 3000 build

Feb 13, 2019
Hello Everyone,
I'm confused between Whether to chose Asus ATX or MSI mATX. So suggest the best among Asus B450 TUF Gaming plus ATX or MSI B450m Bazooka plus mATX for my below mentioned Build and I'm not going to do any overclocking.

Ryzen 5 3600
2x8GB 3200Mhz Corsair vengence or Adata XPG D30
AMD Radeon RX 5700.
Corsair CX 550W.
Cooler master mb511 RGB
Samsung 860 Evo 500gb SSD
1TB WD Blue.
Cooler master hyper 212 LED.

Also do suggest if there's a need to change anything.

For that price you have the B450 Steel that has one of the best VRMs.
But again, be sure to have the latest bios otherwise you won't be able to use it.
I don't think the Steel Legend can compare to the B450 Tuf Pro and the B450m Bazooka Plus.

Reason? The Steel Legend has a much smaller heat sink and uses only 3 FET's per phase of 4 phases in the VCore VRM. But both the TUF Pro and the Bazooka Plus have 4 FET's per each of 4 phases and, in addition, the Bazooka Plus uses a massive and well finned heat sink covering all 16 FET's.

That said, for a 3600 the steel legend VRM might work out well enough since it's fairly low-power CPU, especially if not overclocked, and it IS a very good board otherwise. But moving up in the world to 8 core or 12 core gets dicey.

Check out this thermal test of a B450m Mortar, which uses the same VRM design as the Bazooka Plus.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qZW3-xZEHg&t=50s

Check out this test of the Steel Legend:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BNKYey7UMU

and this analysis of the B450m TUF Pro:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIgFG_SucEk

EDIT: Fixed reference to TUF Pro vs Plus and link to to TUF Pro analysis video

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019
I don't think the Steel Legend can compare to the B450 Tuf Pro and the B450m Bazooka Plus.

Reason? The Steel Legend has a much smaller heat sink and uses only 3 FET's per phase of 4 phases in the VCore VRM. But both the TUF Pro and the Bazooka Plus have 4 FET's per each of 4 phases and, in addition, the Bazooka Plus uses a massive and well finned heat sink covering all 16 FET's.

That said, for a 3600 the steel legend VRM might work out well enough since it's fairly low-power CPU, especially if not overclocked, and it IS a very good board otherwise. But moving up in the world to 8 core or 12 core gets dicey.

Check out this thermal test of a B450m Mortar, which uses the same VRM design as the Bazooka Plus.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qZW3-xZEHg&t=50s

Check out this test of the Steel Legend:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BNKYey7UMU

and this analysis of the B450m TUF Pro:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIgFG_SucEk

EDIT: Fixed reference to TUF Pro vs Plus and link to to TUF Pro analysis video

Steel Legend isn't available here yet.

What do u think about ASrock b40 pro 4? It's much cheaper than others. Does it handle new ryzen and RX 5700 ?

And also ,is Corsair CX 550w psu enough? AMD recommened power supply RX 5700 is 600w.

Last edited:
Steel Legend isn't available here yet.

What do u think about ASrock b40 pro 4? It's much cheaper than others. Does it handle new ryzen and RX 5700 ?

And also ,is Corsair CX 550w psu enough? AMD recommened power supply RX 5700 is 600w.

One remarkable factoid I'm getting from these reviews is that Zen2 needs way lower power than you expect, lower even than the Zen+ chips they are replacing. So older boards that worked well with 8 core 2700X are equally good with 8 core Zen2 chips. Since the B450 Pro 4 has a very good VRM with excellent heatsinking on the FET's it should be just as good pairing up to 8 core as before. It should also work OK with a 12 core, but don't try all-core overclocking. It might be best not for 16 core when it comes out, but then we don't know.

I'm really not sure manual overclocking of these new CPU's is going to get much anyways. It's looking a lot better to let the CPU manage it's own overclocking using PBO. The reviewers (I'm watching Gamers Nexus in particular) still have to complete their overclocking tests. We'll learn a lot more about headroom and voltages needed as they get on with it.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019
i think, if you wanna buy the current/existing chipsets mobo you have to update it first, if u go to the retailer shops you can ask to update before you get to home
B450 Pro 4 has a very good VRM with excellent heatsinking on the FET's. It should be a good pairing up to 8 core. It should also work OK with a 12 core, but don't try all-core overclocking, and probably best not for 16 core when it comes out.

I'm really not sure manual overclocking of these new CPU's is going to get much anyways. It's looking a lot better to let the CPU manage it's own overclocking using PBO. The reviewers (I'm watching Gamers Nexus in particular) still have to complete their overclocking tests. We'll learn a lot more about headroom and voltages needed as they get on with it.

Like I said earlier , motherboard is for Ryzen 3600 so it's 6 core processor and I'm not gonna overclock..
Just assume it's assemble and play.

I have no idea about VRMs, but I do know that they are most important for stable system .
So kindly, Suggest good pick from below mentioned mobos.

ASrock B450 pro 4(ATX)
Asus B450 Tuf Gaming plus.(ATX)
MSI B450 Bazooka plus.(mATX)

ASrock is much cheaper than MSI and Asus one. So if ASrock can do just fine for Ryzen 5 3600 and Radeon RX 5700 Gaming build,then I have no issues going with it.

ASrock B450 pro 4(ATX)

ASrock is much cheaper than MSI and Asus one. So if ASrock can do just fine for Ryzen 5 3600 and Radeon RX 5700 Gaming build,then I have no issues going with it.

I personally would steer away from the Asus since it's not the Pro variant, but other than that they'd all three work fine with a 3600.

I'd look closely at other features and future growth if that's important. For instance: of the three the Bazooka Plus has the absolute best VRM for powering a 12 core 3900X, followed by the Pro 4 but I'd not expect to do that with the Tuf Gaming Plus. Not comfortably, at least.

Another feature the Bazooka has is a BIOS flashback button. That will let you burn a BIOS without a CPU on the board, important if you can't get a board with a supported BIOS and don't have a Ryzen 1000 or 2000 CPU sitting around to do it with.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019
I personally would steer away from the Asus since it's not the Pro variant, but other than that they'd all three work fine with a 3600.

I'd look closely at other features and future growth if that's important. For instance: of the three the Bazooka Plus has the absolute best VRM for powering a 12 core 3900X, followed by the Pro 4 but I'd not expect to do that with the Tuf Gaming Plus. Not comfortably, at least.

Is it okay to go for ASrock b450 pro 4 over MSI Bazooka plus prior it doesn't cause any issues in Future. The price of ASrock is much cheaper than MSI and I could use that saved money on other components.

https://www.theitdepot.com/details-Asrock+B450+Pro4+AMD+AM4+Socket+Motherboard_P30709.html

This the website where I'm planning to purchase. Please confirm if it's the same
b450 pro 4 model. Because all other sites have similar price to Bazooka plus where as this site has 28$ cheaper.

Is it okay to go for ASrock b450 pro 4 over MSI Bazooka plus prior it doesn't cause any issues in Future. The price of ASrock is much cheaper than MSI and I could use that saved money on other components.

https://www.theitdepot.com/details-Asrock+B450+Pro4+AMD+AM4+Socket+Motherboard_P30709.html

This the website where I'm planning to purchase. Please confirm if it's the same
b450 pro 4 model. Because all other sites have similar price to Bazooka plus where as this site has 28$ cheaper.

Just be aware the Pro 4 you linked is a full-size ATX while the Bazooka plus is mATX.

Also...as I noted before, the Bazooka has BIOS flashback. Do you have a way to get a supporting BIOS onto the Pro 4 for? Otherwise the Pro 4 should be a great board for your 3600.

Feb 13, 2019
Just be aware the Pro 4 you linked is a full-size ATX while the Bazooka plus is mATX.

Also...as I noted before, the Bazooka has BIOS flashback. Do you have a way to get a supporting BIOS onto the Pro 4 for? Otherwise the Pro 4 should be a great board for your 3600.
I confirmed with the site support that they will update it if I wanted to..

Feb 8, 2019
Like I said earlier , motherboard is for Ryzen 3600 so it's 6 core processor and I'm not gonna overclock..
Just assume it's assemble and play.

I have no idea about VRMs, but I do know that they are most important for stable system .
So kindly, Suggest good pick from below mentioned mobos.

ASrock B450 pro 4(ATX)

ASrock is really great product.. but if the ASUS / MSI not significantly pricey than the Asrock i would rather pick one of them. if you did know that the ASrock is the best value to you.. just go with it..