Suggest The Cheapest Fix Please

Jan 16, 2019
So i have been experiencing lag drops in games. 110 fps with my new 1060, only to drop dramatically. The task manager shows a drop in gpu usage percentage when this happens. Its obv its not the gpu since i had this problem prior with an inferior gpu.

What i am running:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX-8350 45 °C
Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 573MHz (7-7-7-19)
Motherboard
ASRock 970 Extreme4 (CPUSocket) 45 °C
Graphics
Acer A221HQL (1920x1080@60Hz)
SAMSUNG (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (EVGA) 51 °C
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08M2NA0 ATA Device (SATA ) 39 °C
931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 ATA Device (SATA )

Now what i am looking for is the cheapest way to stop the lag spikes from happening, wich will allow me to stream. Is there a way to possibly even use my old Zotac 670 4gb gpu to augment the processes of my pc to enable higher performance?

Any, and all help is welcome and appreciated. Thanks guys!

Solution
It's most likely your cpu + mobo.
You see, the 970 boards weren't properly designed to handle those 125w+ cpus, even though they are advertised as such - the VRMs on your board are throttling = reducing performance.

It was fixed with the 990fx series mobos, but I'm not telling you to go out and buy such an outdated board, nor a less power hungry outdated cpu either.
^ Either of those would be the 'cheapest' fix, but it's not the best one. Time to move to a new platform(cpu/mobo/ram). A Ryzen 2400g build would be the best if you're on a tight budget.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's most likely your cpu + mobo.
You see, the 970 boards weren't properly designed to handle those 125w+ cpus, even though they are advertised as such - the VRMs on your board are throttling = reducing performance.

It was fixed with the 990fx series mobos, but I'm not telling you to go out and buy such an outdated board, nor a less power hungry outdated cpu either.
^ Either of those would be the 'cheapest' fix, but it's not the best one. Time to move to a new platform(cpu/mobo/ram). A Ryzen 2400g build would be the best if you're on a tight budget.

Solution
Jan 16, 2019

You are correct, when it comes to PC i am not an expert in the least. I dont know a whole lot about PC other then the basics enough to build my own. I dont know specs, or what is good for what etc. Im not an enthusiast in terms of knowledge. More over a competent user. Please do share, also i should note. I have noticed the lag spikes happen when my cpu hits close to 70C so i am thinking a better heatsink might do the trick

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

While you would gain some extra fps getting faster memory, it won't fix the primary issue. Your motherboard is under specced for the 8350.

TRENDING THREADS