Question Suggested Fan Curves for Normal Operation and Overlocking the Ryzen 7 7700x?

stravencroft

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Given I've had temperatures bouncing from 45C to 96C at one point I figure I should I get a decent fan curve set up. I had one in Fan Xpert in AI Suite which I went through many hoops to get working after the update failed in armory crate. Then the update worked in Armory Crate and it no longer loads in ASuite!

CPU and Case Fans:
I had something like fan duty at 14 percent at 39C, 40 percent at 40C, 60 percent at 60C and 100 percent at 70C. I'm not sure if I can or should allow my CPU to get hotter or not. I originally had quick spin up times and slow spin down times but I don't have the same precision in Armory Crate for times that I had in AI Suite. I also appear limited to setting 4 points or dots for my duty and temperature values.

I tried setting up Fan Control which initially wouldn't detect anything but two out of my three GPU fans on my graphics card which I have set up to run 3 together as one in EVGA Precision X 1. It looks impressive but until I get the third GPU fan detected I won't be using it. All or nothing.

GPU: EVGA NVIDIA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra 10GB (Resizable Bar Enabled)

On the GPU fan curve for that was 30 percent duty at 40C, 40 percent duty at 60C, 50 percent duty at 70C, 100 percent duty at 80C. No idea if that curve is safe either. I also have all fans set to run at 30 percent at all times on my preset.

I also set up a browsing curve as well that I don't really use for my GPU: 0 percent until 50C, then it's 40 percent at 50C and flatlines. I altered that to also be 30 percent duty at all times.

I imagine none of these curves are ideal for Overclock in Expo mode or Non-Overclock when Expo is disabled which is my usual state.

What would be a good fan curve to set for the GPU, CPU, and case Fans?

Other Considerations
If It matters the case is a Corsair 5000D Airflow and the Fans are as follows: CPU Fan is a Noctua NF- A15 on a Noctua NH-D15S, Two Intake in front are 140mm Noctua NF- A14 PWM, Exhaust in Rear is a 120mm Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM, 1 Exhaust on the rear top of the case is a 140mm Noctua NF-A14 PWM. Thermal Paste is Noctua NT-H2 which I question whether I applied correctly. I used a larger than normal dot after I applied a Noctua NA-STPG1 to protect the corners of the CPU. I'm wondering if the thermal guard is making things hotter than they would be otherwise however.

Given I've had temperatures bouncing from 45C to 96C at one point I figure I should I get a decent fan curve set up. I had one in Fan Xpert in AI Suite which I went through many hoops to get working after the update failed in armory crate. Then the update worked in Armory Crate and it no longer loads in ASuite!

CPU and Case Fans:
I had something like fan duty at 14 percent at 39C, 40 percent at 40C, 60 percent at 60C and 100 percent at 70C. I'm not sure if I can or should allow my CPU to get hotter or not. I originally had quick spin up times and slow spin down times but I don't have the same precision in Armory Crate for times that I had in AI Suite. I also appear limited to setting 4 points or dots for my duty and temperature values.

I tried setting up Fan Control which initially wouldn't detect anything but two out of my three GPU fans on my graphics card which I have set up to run 3 together as one in EVGA Precision X 1. It looks impressive but until I get the third GPU fan detected I won't be using it. All or nothing.

GPU: EVGA NVIDIA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra 10GB (Resizable Bar Enabled)

On the GPU fan curve for that was 30 percent duty at 40C, 40 percent duty at 60C, 50 percent duty at 70C, 100 percent duty at 80C. No idea if that curve is safe either. I also have all fans set to run at 30 percent at all times on my preset.

I also set up a browsing curve as well that I don't really use for my GPU: 0 percent until 50C, then it's 40 percent at 50C and flatlines. I altered that to also be 30 percent duty at all times.

I imagine none of these curves are ideal for Overclock in Expo mode or Non-Overclock when Expo is disabled which is my usual state.

What would be a good fan curve to set for the GPU, CPU, and case Fans?

Other Considerations
If It matters the case is a Corsair 5000D Airflow and the Fans are as follows: CPU Fan is a Noctua NF- A15 on a Noctua NH-D15S, Two Intake in front are 140mm Noctua NF- A14 PWM, Exhaust in Rear is a 120mm Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM, 1 Exhaust on the rear top of the case is a 140mm Noctua NF-A14 PWM. Thermal Paste is Noctua NT-H2 which I question whether I applied correctly. I used a larger than normal dot after I applied a Noctua NA-STPG1 to protect the corners of the CPU. I'm wondering if the thermal guard is making things hotter than they would be otherwise however.
Assuming that all is mounted, placed and connected properly common wisdom is to have fans spin up to full speed just bellow temperatures where performance of cooled part starts to suffer due to temperatures. and certainly before tjMax. where it starts throttling.
For R7 7700x that would be from ~80c to 95c ( tjMax.), A simple straight line fan curve from minimum rpm to 100% at 80c should be fine and simplest way.
Similar for GPUs except that modern ones have 0 RPM option so a straight line from there to 100% to just before it's "Hot spot" (Junction temperature).
As for case fans, I found that since they have a lot of influence on CPU coolers, to be tied up with CPU temps sensor with maybe some reduction in mid or average CPU temps. In case BIOS permits it a slight delay of 2-5 seconds can make fans less "nervous" and stop them from revving up too often.