Suggested hardware upgrades?

Mjanufc

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Mjanufc85/saved/WjQcf7

Hi,
Ive been putting the pc above together for a couple of months, buying stuff as and when ive got the money. Next i will be getting an ssd and a better psu. The psu is a pulse 750w thing and isnt even on pcpp so i just kind of added one on there.

Anyway, when i add those 2 to the list above, and possibly a new case what do i add next? I was thinking maybe a better gpu should be next, maybe a gtx 1060 or something of similar price.

What do people think?

Solution
If you're playing at 1080p then a GTX 1060 or RX 480 would be a great choice, just go for whatever suits your preference but i would choose them based on how long you intend on keeping them. If you want to upgrade in under 2 years i would get the GTX 1060 6GB since it offers slightly better performance in DirectX 11 and only a fraction worse in DirectX 12. But if you want to keep it for over 2 years go with the RX 480 8GB since it has better long term support (AMD FineWine Driver support), more VRAM and currently better in both newer APIs (Vulkan and DirectX 12). Other than that the PSU you listed on PCPartPicker is an excellent choice and if your current one is not 80+ Gold or above 500 Watts i would consider getting that PSU or...

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
If you're playing at 1080p then a GTX 1060 or RX 480 would be a great choice, just go for whatever suits your preference but i would choose them based on how long you intend on keeping them. If you want to upgrade in under 2 years i would get the GTX 1060 6GB since it offers slightly better performance in DirectX 11 and only a fraction worse in DirectX 12. But if you want to keep it for over 2 years go with the RX 480 8GB since it has better long term support (AMD FineWine Driver support), more VRAM and currently better in both newer APIs (Vulkan and DirectX 12). Other than that the PSU you listed on PCPartPicker is an excellent choice and if your current one is not 80+ Gold or above 500 Watts i would consider getting that PSU or something similar (80+ Gold and 500W or higher) from Corsair, EVGA or SilverStone. Other than that the build looks good, i would maybe consider upgrading to 16GB RAM soon as well. Hope this helps :)

Solution

Mjanufc

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017
Hi and thanks for the help! Ive been looking at both the gpus you mentioned and im leaning towards the RX 480. The psu i have is 750w but its made by a company called "pulse" im definatly going to get one from a more recognized manufacturer asap as i dont really know if i can trust it!
Also with the ram, ill 100% be upgrading that at some point!

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador

All good mate happy to help, I've never heard of that PSU brand either haha sounds a little sketchy. There are plenty of brands when looking for a new PSU but most people would agree Corsair, EVGA and SilverStone are among the most reliable (If you get a good series) but XFX are alright too i've heard. On the RAM front, i upgraded from 8GB to 16GB about a month ago and it's improved my game performance quite a bit in some titles like Witcher 3, Star Citizen and Total War which hogged my whole 8GB constantly and more games will start doing this as 16GB becomes standard. RX 480 is a solid GPU and should push 1080p 60 FPS at High settings in most games really well. Good luck with the upgrade! :)

TRENDING THREADS