[SOLVED] Suggestion for a budget friendly overear headphones with mic.

kingoftown

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2015
I am looking for an 'Over-ear/circum-aural headphones'. My primary usage would be for online gaming so that I can use the VoIP function over the mic. And since I listen to a lot of rock music though largely on speakers, other forms of multimedia would be my second priority on the list. Budget friendly options would be highly appreciated. Wired headphones are not a problem.

Solution
All the mentioned headsets are either exorbitantly expensive (more than the conversion ratio) or are just unavailable. However, HyperX alpha led me to their Cloud Stinger series. I'm really being inclined to go for the Cloud Stinger Core. It's hitting on the sweet price spot, the reviews are fine, and the specs ain't fancy, but not garbage either.
https://in.ign.com/hyperx-cloud-stinger-core/123655/review/should-you-buy-hyperx-cloud-stinger-core

What do you make of this? Also, I believe there is just a single cable that works for both the mic and the headset. Will this pose a problem, because my previous headset had 2 cables going in different ports. When I plug this in, would I need to modify some setting for both of them...
CoolerMaster MH751 are great for under $100, HyperX Alphas are also good especially for rock music, they are less clear than MH751 but have a more present low end and can be more fun to listen to. Really without listening to at least a half dozen sets you won't be able to decide properly since almost everyone has a different favorite for the price. You can even get something like Phillips SHP9500 and a mod mic to go along with it for the 3.5 mm jack. There is a pretty big sound quality difference between $50 sets and 80-100 sets so I suggest going for near 100 rather than 50, considering they will be used for years, the price difference is not that much.

kingoftown

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2015
All the mentioned headsets are either exorbitantly expensive (more than the conversion ratio) or are just unavailable. However, HyperX alpha led me to their Cloud Stinger series. I'm really being inclined to go for the Cloud Stinger Core. It's hitting on the sweet price spot, the reviews are fine, and the specs ain't fancy, but not garbage either.
https://in.ign.com/hyperx-cloud-stinger-core/123655/review/should-you-buy-hyperx-cloud-stinger-core

What do you make of this? Also, I believe there is just a single cable that works for both the mic and the headset. Will this pose a problem, because my previous headset had 2 cables going in different ports. When I plug this in, would I need to modify some setting for both of them to work simultaneously via one single port?

D

Deleted member 14196

You will plug it in via the USB port and it has a dac that will handle sound for you and Mic

I recommend the HyperX cloud 2

What do you make of this? Also, I believe there is just a single cable that works for both the mic and the headset. Will this pose a problem, because my previous headset had 2 cables going in different ports. When I plug this in, would I need to modify some setting for both of them to work simultaneously via one single port?

Stinger is fine, not as good sounding as the higher priced ones, since you wanted them for music also that is why I did not list any lower end stuff since sound quality is noticeably worse. I own a Stinger and several others, compared to my other headphones the Stinger is not as nice to listen to. Still not bad compared to some of the generic stuff you see on Amazon, but another 30-50 gets better sound quality. $100 range is a standard price for quality headsets, the expensive stuff starts about double to triple that, Arctis Pro, Arctis 7, Sennheiser GSP 550, etc...

The single connector would need an adapter to use with separate headphone and mic jacks, the Core does not seem to include it so you would need to buy one.

Solution

kingoftown

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2015
So, I checked more about it, and it seems that there is a splitter already provided in-box, so it will work on my pc and also found out that my 2in1 lappy has a combo jack. And supposedly, via the single cable, it should work on consoles (which I am planning to buy anyways) and phones or laptop. So I think this is the one. I would have gone for better ones, as I also realize that is the most basic version. I mean, Core is the most entry level even in the stinger series, but as I said, the other models are going pricier, even more than the conversion ratio.
Now my only query would be, that since it supports all the current gen consoles too, would it be reasonable to think that it would also work in the upcoming ones. X Box Series X ain't far away, and I intend to get that.