suggestion for a good antivirus for vista64

Status
Not open for further replies.

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
I tried loading the kaspersky that came with my maximus formula and it says its only for 32bit. And to be honest Im afraid to put the asus disk back in my computer, I had a crash and had to reinstall the os after installing there aisuite a while back. I havent even updated the sound drivers for the supremefx2, seems to work fine anyway. unless someone can give me a reason to update that driver I think I will leave as is.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a 64bit antivirus and spyware program.
Im not looking for a free one, unless its better of course. ive found you get what you pay for.

Also, I have everest and will buy a liscense for it. But are there any other diagnostic tools, like defraggers that would work better than the supplied vista ones. What im trying to do is get every program I need installed and running before I consider my build complete. Things like speedfan etc. Dont leave anything out, pretend I have nothing and tell me what I need and if you can why.

you guys are a great resource here.

Notherdude: I really have to thankyou for convincing me to get vista64. It really is so much better, just has a great feel to it and with new hardware it runs great. no problems with older games for me either. I dont get all the complaining about it.

Newegg had this for $9 the other day. It's good for three computers simultaneously for a year! I installed it on my Vista 64 and 32 bit system.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116442

I installed AVG Free for a friend (latest version Feb 2007) yesterday and noticed it listed VISTA as being compatible. Major Geeks:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download886.html

AVG installed smoothly and ran an initial scan perfect on XP. My friend was using XP SP1 with 512MB RAM with no AV on a notebook. When I finished she had 1G RAM, SP2 all updates, AV, etc. You might try AVG, but One Care works very well so far.

Sweet! Welcome to the club.

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
what about Avast? i read some good things about.
I also read somewhere that one care doesnt work great with vista64, but that could jsut be one guys bias. actually if everything is equal I would have no problem with a MS product. might even make it easier

Onecare works flawlessly so far. I have it installed on VISTA 64 and 32. $9.99 free shipping for three computers. I had Avast installed on VISTA 32, but the program seemed to be noticable running in the background for some reason. I ran VISTA 64 for many months with no Antivirus, just defender alone. No problem online for months here. Not one single instance of a virus.

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
I will give it a shot with one care. thx badge.

on a different note, do you have any problems running coretemp on vista64? it says driver wont initialize, whether its run as admin or not. and I dont get any temp readings, just 0's
Im using everest, but someone mentioned that everest temps are off, is that true?
I get cpu core 34c and then core 1-4 49c under load. GPU is 60c. It's not the trial version, I bought it for 34.95

The free 90 day Onecare trial is good, but if you buy the OEM version from Newegg, it will install on three computers for one year! I paid $9.99 with free shipping. I'm repeating myself, but it is a good deal. The software even offers a printer share feature between the three computers you put on the one care 'network'. Unfortunately VISTA 64 will not cooperate with other OSs if you ant to use this feature. The Onecare backup feature ius straight forward too. I already had Acronics True Image.

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
Thanks badge. I installed it earlier. went great and doesnt seem to be killing my hardware like spysweeper did on my p4 3.0. I will run it for a bit and then buy it for 9.99 great deal. Can i back up just my OS with that? I was thinking of getting a second HD and just using it to back up the OS and maybe a few games that I know I wont erase. or am I better off just using the restore option in vista. Its a gaming only PC
I erased coretemp, at least now I know why its not working.
what do you use to monitor your temps? everest also? or something else.

I use Acronis to back up, but I did use the back up with Onecare also. Acronis can back up specific files like OS only , did not see that feature with Onecare. I use an external HD for the 64 machine and used two DVD's for the 32 machine. I have done a complete system restore with Acronis on this machine and it worked flawlessly. I use CPUZ, ASUS Probe and PC Wizard 2008. I have 11 120mm fans and close to 30 fans total in this case! I have absolutley no problem with heat. Onlly with this case is that so. My system basically runs at room temp or cooler! LOL. This case has four seperate chambers and approximately 30 fans. A cool running system defined! No problem.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Chassis/fulltower/mozart_tx/MozartTX.htm

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
wow, i think that case is bigger than my coolermaster stacker 830. I have 7 fans going in it. seems to be pretty cool.
I will check out acronis

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
I downloaded probe. seems like a good program. It doesnt give individual core readings like everest. are they important? because I notice that probe anbd everest have the exact same cpu and MB readings. which are 27 and 33 at idle and 43 46 under load. but the indivudual cores in everest are reading 60-68.
is this something to worry about?

I have another question if you dont mind. I remember you telling me that you set your ram to 2.1v. did you set it at 2 or 2.2 and it reads 2.1 in probe? because when i set mine to 2.1 it reads 2.19 in probe and everest.

PC Wizard 2008 gives individual core temps, voltages, GPU temp, etc. My RAM voltage is still 2.1 in BIOS. I'll have to check to see if PC Wizard shows RAM voltage. Probe reads 2.19v to my system RAM too. I've read the MB auto overvolts everything?

Question about 'sleep'. When I log off and select 'sleep' my system shuts down and when I touch the mouse/keyboard the system resumes, but the monitor does not come on. If I go into BIOS in 'Suspend' and select 'S1' instead of 'Auto' or "S3' the monitor will go to sleep and awaken, but the system will not go into sleep!? Any thoughts on 'sleep' function of the MB? Sleep worked perfect with VISTA 32 and my old P5B Deluxe.

Edit in bold.

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
I havent tried sleep. I usually just shut it down. But I have heard that there are sleep issues with vista64 and sp1 is supposed to address them
i will try it on my machine after I get some sleep myself lol.
I am on midnights

this is weird though 42 cpu temp and 58 58 65 65 for the cores under full load.

I was stunned when SP1 showed up as a download. I checked and doubled checked and tripled check and checked again. It was the real thing! I was sure it was a BETA testing version. Not so. My build is SP1 now!

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
sleep works fine on my machine. I tested it after 9 hours of sleep and it came right back on. Then I tested it after 15 minutes and right back on.
Did sp1 help you at all?

Ive had 3 crashes since I installed one care and a few ms updates. Im wondering what is causing it. Ive also noticed my machine is a bit slower when booting up. when the icon's come on the screen they are white and then they are filled in. The HD light stays on alot also, even when I am just surfing the web. Im thinking of rolling it back and seeing what happens.
This only started after I installed xp pro office,which seems to work ok, a few misc MS updates and then one care. anyone else have this problem

Yeah, I used no AV at all for months on here and the machine ran faster that way, obviously. I thought Onecare was less noticable than AVG, which I had installed on VISTA 32. My system has zero crashes with Onecare since I installed it last week. I have no issues with Sp1 either. Runs smooth so far. I'm still working on why 'sleep' is malfunctioning on here.

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
I lowered my ram voltage to 2.0 in bios. now reads 2.1 in every program.
the mb seems to overvolt it by .09. I changed it hoping that might be why it locked up. I will try it again when i get home from work in the morning. but I have a sneaky suspicion its one care or another uodate I did. it only crashed when I was playing a game not in windows, so it could be a conflict there. I also had to tell one care to always allow warcraft to access the internet.
I dont mind it taking longer to boot, big deal, its still alot faster booting than my old p4 3.0 and xp.

I was getting system crashes with 2.0v setting on the 8GB of RAM. At 2.1v I have no crashes. I had 4 x 1 GB of G. Skill PC6400 (Micron chip) in here and 2.0v was good. The PC6400 ran at 4-4-4-12 at 800+ MHz. The same RAM would clock over 1000 MHz. on my P5B with an e6600 at 2.2-2.3v until a DIMM failed and had to be RMA's. I have 5 GBs of this. I have 3 running on my son's P5B Deluxe Q6600.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231065

I'm very happy to have the 8GBs running at 1066 Mhz. on here. I think it's great RAM, Micron or not, for now. I linked this thread about the G. Skill Powerchip DIMMS earlier. These are good for the price!

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=162127

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
I didnt have any at 1.98 which it defaults to in bios. Only had crashes after some updates and install of one care. 3dmark crashed also after 2 minutes. I change it to 2.1 but it read 2.19 in cpuz and everest. so i backed it down to 2.0.
Thinking back on my one care install I had to do a reset after it rebooted to finish the installation. It rebooted then I got to the part where you get the microsoft loading screen, green blocks moving forward, then screen went black for 5 minutes. I thought it locked up so I reset it. when i got back to windows it showed one care installed fine. maybe i should reinstall it.
its also saying its only "fair" because I ahvent done a backup yet

Status
Not open for further replies.