suggestion for a good antivirus for vista64

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So you went to the Q6600? I have the 'Q' running since last April I believe. Also had the e6600 running since the week it came out. The PC2 8000 runs at 1066 Mhz, but I don't expect it to run much more than that.

You can open Onecare and 'adjust settings' and turn off the backup function. I don't know, Oncare works on here just fine for abut a wek. I get no systems crashes loading any software. I think my BIOS (907) may be causing my 'sleep' problem. BIOS doesn't support S3 (suspend to RAM fully. But then you are running 907 and have no problem? I had no problem with VISTA 32, but with 64 I can't suspend to RAM properly. I can suspend to S1 in BIOS, but that only turns off the monitor and resumes on command. The system won't suspend. May mention this on ASUS product wepage forum.

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
I have no problems with sleep on vista64. I only tried it twice but both times worked fine. once after 9 hours and once after 15 minutes. and Im runnning bios 0907. same problem after sp1?

I may reinstall it and see where I go from there. typically ive turned off any AV I have and just run a scan once a week because its always taken up alot of resources. especially spysweeper on my pentium 4.
But with my new hardware and a quad I figured I wouldnt even see a performance hit. I guess I was wrong lol.

I got the q6600 because I felt 4 cores would become the smarter option as time went by. especially when overclocked. Ive read that once you get to 3.0ghz the cpu ceases to be the limiting factor in games. and then its on the videocard. but I have a gts512 and a 22" monitor. so I should be good. even at stock crysis runs on high at 1680x1050 and i beleive its only stuttered once or twice.

This might be a dumb idea, but does your video card come with two connectors on the back? try and switch it to the other one. maybe its not getting the signal to turn back on. sounds weird that the machine turns on but no output to the monitor. I would think its a vista issue rather than bios. but you would know better than me

I left my ram at 800 but Im going to move it to 1000 or 1066. I might do it before I OC. to make sure its stable. If I move it to 1000mhz and then I overclock the cpu will that change the ram speed at all?

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
Did you try it with a different videocard?

I changed the backup settings for one care and since then no crashes. Maybe its one of those things where the AV wants your atention, and ends up locking up whatever your running :) but I played games for 4 hours this morning with no problems or crashes. so unles it happens again I will figure its just one of those things

I read somewher else to switch the video card to the other DVI connector, haven't tried that yet. Tried everythibng else! Reinstalled My Logitech G15 keyboard and G5 mouse drivers. Tried S1, S3 and auto in BIOS. Tried many different Power configs. looked over my event viewer log. Nothing there specifically related to the problem. I would sya the BIOS doesn't support sleep with Vista 64, but you have the same BIOS and it works. It must be related to a piece of hardware that is not cooperating. Or something like a driver, Nvidia Vista 64 8 series? Don't know? This is best link I have found to adjustments made in 'Power Options'. My system goes into sleep, but the monitor fails to come out of sleep and the system hangs unless I go to the S1 BIOS seting. Then the monitor will sleep off and back on, but the machine will not shut down into sleep!

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63567-power-options-sleep-mode-problems.html

regarding your question about overclocking your CPU by increasing the FSB. Of course, when you increase the FSB the CPU will be taken to higher speeds, but so is the rest of your system hardware operating on that BUS. So, if you set the RAM (adjsutment can be made indibvidually) to 1066 (PC8500 or 8.5 GB per second transfer rate to CPU) when you increaae the FSB to overclock the CPU, the RAM will be taken higher also. I think around 1100 MHz. is around max for this RAM. So, again depending on high you take your FSB (default is 266 with Q6 and 333 Mhz. with E8) you may have to set the RAM spedd slightly lower that 1066 Mhz. to compensate for the increase in the FSB.

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
your the best badge, thx

what videocard are you using? Im using the evga gts512, and I went to their site and downloaded the latest driver and any hotfixes. I was having a problem with COD4. from that point forward its worked flawlessly.
I think your better off getting the driver from the card manufacturer, might be optimized for their card. but Im not sure
vistax64.com also has a list of hotfixes for vista. click on each file and it tells you if you have it already. pretty straightforward.
Not to piss you off, but ive been using sleep alot lately lol. one click and its right back to where it was.

I haven't had time to troubleshhot the sleep issue any more. I always use the latest driver from Nvidia.com for my MSI 8800GTS 640 OC. Would't mind crossfiring a couple of 3870's sometime. I also have a 7900GTO, 1900GT, 1800XT, 2 x 7800GT. 2 x 7600GT, two x800gto's, two 6600gt's, 5900Ultra and a host of other cars running or used as spares. LOL! If a new driver comes out it takes a about a week to update all my machines! I've never tried a video driver from the Mfg. Always the latest from Nvidia or ATI/AMD.

I'm going to check out VISTA 64. com. Yeah my sleep used to work flawlessly and I used it a lot. Acturally, that was with my P5B and Q6600 with VISTA 32. Then I swapped out that to this X38, E8400 and VISTA 64. I am thinking maybe the Onecare had something to do with it, but then you have Onecare! I'm stumped. Unless I set my BIOS to the S1 option insted of AUTO, then the monitor shuts down and back on again perferct, but the rest of the system doesn't shut down. With S3 setting the monitor hangs and the rest of the system shuts down and back on perfect! S3 means suspend to RAM.

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
wow, alot of videocards. did you try a different one? Its a wacky problem thats for sure.
Im sure its the same driver but I found it at evga's site. But I also did every MS hotfix they had so for all I know it was one of the hotfixes that removed the problem.

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
your not going to beleive this. I had the same problem with sleep as you. momnitor wouldnt come on. then I had two BSOD's while it tried to recover windows.
then I shut it down. turned it back on and booted into windows but I had this grey box on screen that says

I AM SERVICE!!!!
which had this inside it

----------------------------------------------
ucId: 0x04070010 (67567632)
ucId: CPU Q-FAN Control

on the left of the box it said "aigear" and then button 2-5 and 7 which when pushed gave the info I printed above. very weird. I am going to reboot and see if its still there

@#$%^&&* sleep
dwStatus: 0x80000000 (-2147483648)
nOptions: 0x00000002 (2)
nDefaultOption: 0x00000000 (0)
nCurrentOption: 0x00000000 (0)
Disable
Enable
ucId: 0x04080011 (67633169)
ucId: CPU Q-FAN Profile
dwStatus: 0x00100001 (1048577)
nOptions: 0x00000003 (3)
Optimal
Silent
Performance
ucId: 0x04070070 (67567728)
ucId: Chassis Q-FAN Control
dwStatus: 0x80000000 (-2147483648)
nOptions: 0x00000002 (2)
Disable
Enable
ucId: 0x04080071 (67633265)
ucId: Chassis FAN Ratio
dwStatus: 0x00700001 (7340033)
nOptions: 0x00000005 (5)
Auto
90%
80%
70%
60%
Actual ratio:90

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
Me neither, i never installed the aisuite. So it makes no sense to me. I did the first time I built it but windows got corrupted and I formatted the drive and rebuilt it.
Thats the end of sleep mode for Me lol

Yeah, AiSuite caused my keyboard to stop working in windows when I installed it originally. I used a system restore to correct then read on the product page website about the problems with Aisuite. There is a fix there, but I don't use AiSuite so I never reinstalled it. I have a folder titled 'fix sleep issue' with nio less than 10 links kept there. I've tried everything and come to the conclusion a lot of people have issues with sleep. We both have 8 gbs of RAM, I didn't have this sleep problem with 4gigs, a Q660 and a P5b965 Deluxe. Sleep worked perfectly, but I would occasaionally get that gray box too! So, we are suspending to RAM (S3 or AUTO) setting in BIOS. For some reason, the machine will not awaken completely from RAM?

I even tried this when I noticed my hibernation files were deleted through Disk Cleanup. I restored my files and still came up with a lame sleep mode on this machine.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929658

I tried following this guy's suggestions, but it didn't work.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6452336&postcount=62

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
One thing that did happen is kind of weird. when I clicked the leftmouse button, the system would start up but not the monitor. just like you.

but... the first two times I used restore I hit the back button on my mouse. little red nub on the left side of the mouse. both times it restored perfectly. Now, having said that Im not going to test it again because I dont want a permanent BSOD i cant recover from, and since I can go a couple days without using my computer its no big deal to turn it off

If I set BIOS to AUTO the system will shut down then power back on, but hangs and won't let the monitor come from sleep. I can hit the reset button and restart, no blue screen.

If I set BIOS to S3, again the system powers back up with no monitor, then the reset button will not restart the system. I have to turn off the PSU and back on to get the system 'unhung'.

Now if I set BIOS to S1, the monitor powers down and back on again perfectly! But the system just keeps running and doesnt power down into RAM.

I m ay try the mouse side buttons, but I doubt that work for this system. If I am try to come out of sleep and click the mouse, the mouse comes on, but the keyboard doesn't. I have to touch the keyboard seperately to get it to come back on. Both keyboard and mouse are USB and each has to be brought back from sleep seperately. Just weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS