Suggestion for a good firewall

yankeeDDL

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Hi, I'm looking for a good firewall for personal use.
I'm not looking for a fortress: I don't expect to venture on "dangerous" territories but I got burned in the past using Internet Explorer while searching for lyrics.
I switched to Firefox (and wish I had done it sooner) and had no problem since, but after the troubles I had to go through to remove those spywares I'd rather be on the safe side.
I have an antivirus but I want to be ceratin that nothing goes in or out of the computer without my approval.

Any suggestions?

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Zone Alarm works great from my experience.

Put yourself behind a router, ZA, and use Mozilla (instead of IE), and I believe it would be rare you'll ever be troubled with malware.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Put yourself behind a router, ZA, and use Mozilla (instead of IE), and I believe it would be rare you'll ever be troubled with malware.

Excellent advice. I use that set up plus Avast, Spybot, SpywareBlaster (passive - registry blocker), Counter Spy & Spysweeper as a scanner only.

I never come up with anything.

yankeeDDL

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Thank you. I've been trying ZoneAlarm for the past few days now and seems to be working fine.
I used a similar firewal few years ago (can't remember the name now): very easy to use.
I still haven't figure out how to read all th einfo though: I see that 3 inbound attempt have been blocked. I'm curious abot them but I've found no way to determine where/when/from who where these attempts made.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Actually the best firewall for your money is a router.

Dont have to worry about stuff getting in thats not supposed to. almost no setup required (other than changing the default password).

ZoneAlarm may be free - but from what ive seen on other forms (especially with games) - you get what you pay for.

yankeeDDL

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I've actually had problems at work with ZoneAlarm: it seems to be stopping more than it needs to.
Here's my problem: twice (as in 2 times) I got some spamware crap while searching for lyrics. Once was for "Raindrops keep falling on my head". I won't forget that: so many popups started showing up that the PC got so slow I could not even see them. I wonder what were they trying to do ... cause it ain't advertisement.
Did I mentioned? McAfee (up to date) crashed the moment IE loaded that page.
Because I do use Anti Virus too, in case you wondered.
Did I mentioned it was my laptop from work?

At home I have a wireless router. Does it fall in the category of routers that help preventing this from happening? It's a Netgear MVR814 v2.