[SOLVED] Suggestion for a wireless router

_Tempo

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016
We live in a 2 stories apartment and we have long struggled with getting internet connection throughout the house.
We tried a few internet providers each with better promised speed and coverage than the other but the WiFi coverage has only gotten worse..
So I figured it might be the provided routers that aren’t covering or transmitting the internet well enough. Since the wired connection is great, it’s only the wireless internet that is barely reaching the upper floor and even when it does it’s not nearly strong or stable enough. Consider the fact that both children are playing games in the upper floor while the router is pretty far away in the bottom floor.
Hope that my conclusion about the problem being the router is plausible from the little detail I provided (I just don’t know much technical information). And so I would love to have some of your suggestion for a router that would be fitting for a large coverage, and if possible not too expensive.
Thank you.

Solution

That looks like a standard MOCA ethernet adapter, nothing special. You could just buy any access point that has at least 2 ethernet ports(most have 4) and connect it to that MOCA adapter. Connect the other port to the TV like you do now. Then you'll have a new wifi access point wherever that adapter is at. Hopefully on the 2nd floor to provide that floor with good coverage.

kanewolf

Titan
We live in a 2 stories apartment and we have long struggled with getting internet connection throughout the house.
We tried a few internet providers each with better promised speed and coverage than the other but the WiFi coverage has only gotten worse..
So I figured it might be the provided routers that aren’t covering or transmitting the internet well enough. Since the wired connection is great, it’s only the wireless internet that is barely reaching the upper floor and even when it does it’s not nearly strong or stable enough. Consider the fact that both children are playing games in the upper floor while the router is pretty far away in the bottom floor.
Hope that my conclusion about the problem being the router is plausible from the little detail I provided (I just don’t know much technical information). And so I would love to have some of your suggestion for a router that would be fitting for a large coverage, and if possible not too expensive.
Thank you.
The problem with apartments is the amount of conflicting WIFI from neighbors. No WIFI router can fix that. Since you mention wired connectivity, is there ethernet ports throughput the apartment ?

_Tempo

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016
The problem with apartments is the amount of conflicting WIFI from neighbors. No WIFI router can fix that. Since you mention wired connectivity, is there ethernet ports throughput the apartment ?
Do telephone sockets count as Ethernet ports?
If so there are four, two for each floor.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
There are about four. Two for each floor
You need to use the wired infrastructure and add MULTIPLE WIFI sources (access points) close to your devices. That is the only way to overcome a crowded WIFI environment. You need your devices to be using 5Ghz WIFI. You also need to move all possible stationary devices to wired. TVs, game systems, etc. Move to wired.
You can use WIFI routers as access points or you can buy hardware that is designed to be a WIFI access point.

_Tempo

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016
You need to use the wired infrastructure and add MULTIPLE WIFI sources (access points) close to your devices. That is the only way to overcome a crowded WIFI environment. You need your devices to be using 5Ghz WIFI. You also need to move all possible stationary devices to wired. TVs, game systems, etc. Move to wired.
You can use WIFI routers as access points or you can buy hardware that is designed to be a WIFI access point.
Although I don't live in a big apartment complex, it's only about 6 apartments. Do you still think that a better router won't solve the issue?

kanewolf

Titan
Although I don't live in a big apartment complex, it's only about 6 apartments. Do you still think that a better router won't solve the issue?
I don't know. Have you ever used a tool like "WIFI Analyzer" on your phone to "see" how many competing WIFI signals there are ? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en_US&gl=US
Routers are limited by govt on the transmit power. AND devices (phones, tablets, etc) have much lower power than a router to help battery life. So even if you got a "blaster 1000" router that could be received a mile away, your phone wouldn't be able to broadcast BACK. Multiple WIFI sources is always the best way and since you have wired connectivity upstairs, adding a second WIFI source should be easy.

_Tempo

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016
I don't know. Have you ever used a tool like "WIFI Analyzer" on your phone to "see" how many competing WIFI signals there are ? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en_US&gl=US
Routers are limited by govt on the transmit power. AND devices (phones, tablets, etc) have much lower power than a router to help battery life. So even if you got a "blaster 1000" router that could be received a mile away, your phone wouldn't be able to broadcast BACK. Multiple WIFI sources is always the best way and since you have wired connectivity upstairs, adding a second WIFI source should be easy.
I see.
Looking into that option right now. Thank you!

The OP has telephone jacks, not ethernet.

Op, do you happen to have FIOS, or can get FIOS internet?

Do you have coax cable ports upstairs, that are normally used for TV or Satellite?

_Tempo

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016
The OP has telephone jacks, not ethernet.

Op, do you happen to have FIOS, or can get FIOS internet?

Do you have coax cable ports upstairs, that are normally used for TV or Satellite?
Yea I do, we have coax ports upstairs aswell and my TV provider uses MoCa to get a wired connection from the router downstairs to the smart TVs upstairs. So I am now thinking about the option of connecting my devices with wired connection or connecting an access point upstairs with those MoCa adapters. I was thinking of a similar solution with powerline adapters but I hear they are less reliable.
Hopefully you have suggestions regarding those devices.

I assume you mean there is a cable tv box upstairs by tv. Some of those boxes actually have ethernet ports on them that uses the moca connection back to the router. In effect you get a free moca adapter. Read carefully but if it is using standard moca you only need a adapter in the remote room and it will direclty talk to the ISP router. FIOS i know has routers that can do this.

That looks like a standard MOCA ethernet adapter, nothing special. You could just buy any access point that has at least 2 ethernet ports(most have 4) and connect it to that MOCA adapter. Connect the other port to the TV like you do now. Then you'll have a new wifi access point wherever that adapter is at. Hopefully on the 2nd floor to provide that floor with good coverage.

Solution

Latest posts