FaithOnHuman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2015
Hey there, I was wondering which cooler is the best choice for i7 9700k (no OC). I use the Hyper Evo 212 and the temps just for normal browsing are around 50-55C. And at render times it can go up to 70C. My Case is a Corsair Carbide 200R running 2 case fans (1 front, 1 back)

I was thinking to do the following, tell me what you think:
Replace the Hyper 212 with Noctua NHD15s or NHU12A, and replace the two case fans with x2 Noctua NF-A12X25.

What do you think? Will the temps drop or it does not worth to try it?

FaithOnHuman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2015
The temps are a bit on the high side especially the browsing temps but they are safe as WildCard999 has said. Personally going the Noctua route will more than help and drop temps considerably especially the mighty D15...

I think that too... if the difference is not "significant" I will consider changing the Case...

FaithOnHuman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2015
I'm very surprised you're only getting 70c using the hyper 212, with that processor. Something just isn't right. Are you monitoring temps during or before/after? That or you have a decently binned chip with a motherboard that's running your processor at a low stable voltage, which isn't out of the realm of possibility.

i am monitoring the temps via core temp and i reached 70c while rendering a 30-45sec video from after effects. i know that this is not a full load or reliable testing but i did not have the time to run a full load test or benchmark. But i will run a full load test to check the temps for sure

i am monitoring the temps via core temp and i reached 70c while rendering a 30-45sec video from after effects. i know that this is not a full load or reliable testing but i did not have the time to run a full load test or benchmark. But i will run a full load test to check the temps for sure
I wouldn't, because I already can tell you the outcome. How much are you willing to spend on a better cooler?

You don't need to spend a lot on the i9 9700k's cooling, as it doesn't draw nearly as much power as the 9900k:

PCPartPicker Part List
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($48.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 (w/o ODD) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $118.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-23 15:21 EDT-0400

However if you're looking to extreme overclock, you might want to go with the NHD15 or chromax version. The above case was chosen because the front mesh doubles as a dust filter. Choosing cases with added dust filtration will have a negative effect on ventilation.

Reactions: WildCard999

FaithOnHuman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2015
You don't need to spend a lot on the i9 9700k's cooling, as it doesn't draw nearly as much power as the 9900k:

PCPartPicker Part List
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($48.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 (w/o ODD) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $118.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-23 15:21 EDT-0400

However if you're looking to extreme overclock, you might want to go with the NHD15 or chromax version. The above case was chosen because the front mesh doubles as a dust filter. Choosing cases with added dust filtration will have a negative effect on ventilation.

Nice! thanks, fist I'll try a new cooler and then if the temps are not that good I will get a new case. I noticed that the issue with my build is that it does not have a strong airflow after I added the RTX more hot air was trapped in the case. Maybe that's because my motherboard has a slow fan feature. with the previous build, the fans were louder than now.....