Suggestion for buyinng a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

7fornikhil

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
Hey guys, I want to but a laptop with which I'll be getting an Xbox free. Can you please suggest some. The answers to the following questions should give you a clear idea about my requirements.

1. What is your budget?
around 500-600$ but i am willing to stretch my pockets it i get a good deal and free xbox

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
14-17" . the bigger the better

3. What screen resolution do you want?
doesnt matter

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
doesnt matter. But I wont be having a desktop, so what do you suggest?

5. How much battery life do you need?
doesnt matter much

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I want to play all the latest fifa games.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
school/ collegel work like making ppts and other such work. I also want to watch movies.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
i have a portable 500gb external HD. so i think 320 gb should be good. more than that will do no harm.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I saw some at newegg.com and at amazon and bestbuy.com . but the only priority is free xbox and a good deal.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
i have not used a laptop yet. so i dont know what exactly u mean but i'd like to keep it as long as i can.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
doesnt matter

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
no specific brands. only the ones giving me the best deals.

13. What country do you live in?
US

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I would like to buy a refurbished laptop to save money. will i get the xbox free on refurbished laptops also?

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
First of all, if this is the deal you're referring to; http://nct.digitalriver.com/fulfill/0295.001 , you need to spend $700 plus taxes. Secondly, you have to buy from the Microsoft store, and they don't sell refurbished laptops. No other sellers apply. It's all in the fine details at the bottom of the page.

My google search to return results probably took less time than creating this thread to ask. Sorry to burst all of your bubbles.

7fornikhil

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011

Thanks man.. So forget the xbox now. Can you suggest me some refurbished laptops for my use?

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
You don't want to buy a refurb. $600 or less is plenty for a decent laptop. Especially now that AMD released their new CPU/GPU hybrid. The GPU is far better than any other integrated solution and should Fifa great according to the system specs for FIFA 2011.

HP has one for $650.
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=High+performance&series_name=dv6zqe_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/notebooks/High_performance/dv6zqe_series

Dell has a Inspiron 15R-2nd Gen with a discrete GPU for $575
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=fncov01&m_2=I32310M&m_3=3GB2D13&m_6=DI1290&m_8=320GB54&m_11=W71HP6E&m_16=8XDVDRW&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&model_id=inspiron-15r-n5110

Two brand new computers that have what you need. Both companies are respectable.

7fornikhil

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011

What you said is right, but dont you think that I can get better laptops at the same price if I go for refurbished laptops? Can you suggest some refurbished ones for me? I have also looked at some of them myself. What do u think about the following?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220707

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214357

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834200297

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230016

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157988

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157588

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131135

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
The first one is pretty well equiped for a laptop, but you know you'll have no battery life. Especially since it's already been used so the battery is already older.

Second one is the same price as the HP I recommended you, but the difference is the HP is newer and better.

The third one is a ordinary Dell with Intel HD graphics. A poor choice for gaming. Not much cheaper than the superior Dell I already recommended.

The forth one is the same as the Dell, only with an Asus badge. Same integrated gpu. Lowest price yet though.

The fifth one is a great option and a beatiful notebook, particularly compared to the others mentioned. It is the most powerful mentioned. Pretty close to the price of a new computer with a free Xbox360, don't you think.

The sixth one is the poorest option yet. In laptops, the older chip manufacturing killed AMD. They used more power, created more heat, and performed less than the Intel options. The GPU is a terrible integrated solution with an ATI badge.

The seventh is an ordinary PC with a price that makes it uncompetitive with the ENVY. Unless Newegg knows something about the ENVY that makes it 'used' enough to be that low in price.

The Nvidia 310m that was on most of the computers is really a low end card. http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html . Rank 205

Laptops are much more difficult to clean than desktops, go places a desktop doesn't and get man-handled, whereas desktops sit there and collect dust. I personally would stay away from refurbished laptops, but since you seem bent on it, I'd go with the ENVY...or one of the computers I previously recommended.

7fornikhil

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011

I was really confused looking at so many graphic cards and processors. I have been able to narrow down my choices but I need some more help.

I want a lappy which I can use to its full potential. If you were me, and with my budget, which lappy would you buy. Also, would you get a custom made? If yes, can you give me a configuration and tell me from where I can get one.

And as you said in your previous reply that the graphic card on each of the refurbished laptops is a low end card. What do you suggest that I do in that case? Can I get it upgraded ?

Are AMD Phenom processors good for my use?

I really appreciate your help.
Thanks man.

7fornikhil

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
javascript: validform(this); Also, do you suggest that I go for a laptop with which I'll get an Xbox free instead of going for an Envy?
If yes, then which one should I go for?

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
In laptops, I'd stay away from the older AMD processors. The 2nd Generation Intel processors are better in every way. I've never seen a gpu in a laptop that was upgradeable. They are soldered to the mobo and configured by the company making the laptop to work safely with the other parts. Nvidia releases updates to it's mobile gpu line through their website, but AMD says to seek the computer manufacturer for driver updates. I've had an HP with a mobile 4650 for two years and I've never recieved an update from HP for my computer. That's how the companies roll. Once you buy it, they wash their hands from that line.

Your price range listed was maxed at $600. If you wanted to land the free Xbox360, you'd have to raise it $100. With a $700 budget on the Microsoft site's computers section, there is only 2 laptops that fit; a Samsung and a Toshiba Satellite. The website currently says they are both out of stock, but that doesn't mean that they won't have more available.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/en_US/pd/productID.226730800/categoryID.55857100/list.true

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/en_US/pd/productID.224537200/categoryID.55857100/list.true

Neither are better than the ENVY or the other two I first mentioned, but between the two, I'd go with the Samsung. Better battery life, discrete gpu (although it is the weak 310m), smaller form factor. At this point I'd say the ENVY is still your best option.

7fornikhil

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011

Is the ENVY better or the first two that you had suggested me?

Also, check this one..

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dndojt1a&c=us&l=en&s=eep&cs=6099&model_id=xps-17

What do you think about it?

Which is best of the four - the previous two you mentioned or the ENVY or this one? Which one would you go for and the reasons again please... and I am ready to shell out some more money is I'll get a verry good deal..

And a last question - exactly how good is the XBox 360? Is it worth it to spend the extra buck to get it for free?

7fornikhil

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
What acc to you is the differenve between the first and second generation i processors and how much doees it affect the performance? bec the above one, I think, has a 1st gen, while the dell that you had initially showed me had a second gen.

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
The Dell you suggested is is better than the ENVY in every way. It's the most expensive of your suggestions, and a nice laptop. It would do everything you asked from this thread. After looking through the other three, the Dell you found is the best computer in this thread. The HP Envy has a slate battery that would extend your computer usage to around 6-9 hours, but that's only important if battery power is important to you. The slate battery costs extra, not included.

As far as the Xbox 360 being worth it, well, it retails for $300 dollars so think of that as a really large coupon. Secondly, if you don't own a 360, there are a large amount of games you need to play. I can't tell what games you like, except everything soccer (futbol, football). Games that are exclusive to Xbox will run more optimized on it, than on you new PC. Example, you buy a laptop that qualifies, but you wanna buy Crysis 2. Buy it on Xbox in this example, because your computer will not run it at the level of the Xbox. That rule applies to many things in this case, and I think that was the motive behind Microsoft's promotion. Sell them a computer for productivity and a Xbox for play. There are a bounty of games that you can only get for the console and not the PC (of course, it also goes opposite), but you have a laptop, so the games that run smoothly and are also beautiful drop in ratio.

As far as 1st gen and second get i3, i5, i7 processors won't be "quite" as good, but they are only slightly less than their successors, as opposed to their competitors, who still fail in the business end of processing.

7fornikhil

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011

Do you think that I should customize it further? Should I add a service plan to it? Do you think that I need to make any further additions? Will I be able to play fifa games released for another 5 years on this laptop with the config that I have? If no, then can you please suggest some changes or upgrades or any other laptop? Please can you write down what config of this laptop I must buy?

Thanks for the hel man.
Looking forward to you reply.

7fornikhil

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Looking at the laptop you just suggested, the changes are tough for me to answer. It's all preference. I personally would change the service plan to 'mail in service' and I'd try to add the 1080p screen into the budget. Thing is, the games always look better running at their native resolution with 1:1 pixel mapping, so that means either you should keep the 768p screen to lighten the load on the Nvidia 525m, or if you bump up the resolution, you should bump up the card to the 540m. I guess you could always get the 1080p screen and down scale the graphics to 720p for better framerates.

As far as playing games for the next 5 years...that's a stretch. Laptops are historically weaker than their desktop counterparts, particularly for the price. Laptops can't receive performance upgrades in the gpu/cpu department, whereas when your desktop starts to run slow, you can invest minimal money to bring it back up to speed. Hell, even that Xbox won't have another 5 years in it's life. After Nintendo announced the new Wii U, Microsoft and Sony announced they had new systems coming up next year too, and the thing about Microsoft, versus Sony and Nintendo is: after releasing the Xbox360, Microsoft announced it would no longer support or create games for the previous Xbox. It went through an awkward year of games getting downloaded compatibility, but you had to re-buy all of the previous games to download them, so that kinda died away.

I think the best option in this price range is original HP I recommended that was using the hybrid CPU/GPU. http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=High+performance&series_name=dv6zqe_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/notebooks/High_performance/dv6zqe_series&aoid=35252 . Change the processor to the highest performing one ($100 more) and select the middle option on dual graphics option (512Mb version). That computer is higher performing than the Dell you recommended, for the same cost. And it has more benefits. HP upgrades your RAM to 6Gb for free, compared to Dell selling you 4Gb and charging you more for 6. You can get a high performace 6-cell for $15 more, the Dell 9 cell changes the outside appearance by adding a little junk in it's trunk. To get an idea of what I mean, look at what the 9 cell does to the HP, same concept. Some people don't mind that stuff though. I don't know if any of this answers your questions.

7fornikhil

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011

In the first para, were you referring to the DELL XPS 15 laptop or the Acer Laptop. Of the two dell laptops, which one is better and why? About the service plan, do you want me to change into a mail into rapair service plan, the very first option for which I wont be charged anythin extra?

To what extent will the difference in RAM of 4gb and 6gb affect the performance of the laptop?

Please can you configure both the HP and Dell laptops (the one which you are suggesting me) with the upgrades that you are suggesting and then post the links here?

Thanks again .

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
I can't post a link from those sites with the configured adjustments, it will only post a link to the laptop, so I refer to my last post on which to choose and the adjustments. In this case, the 6gb will make a major difference because the hybrid cpu/gpu uses the RAM as its video RAM. So along with the computer using RAM like it would normally, the gpu-part gets a dedicated amount of that, so in this case, more RAM is important (plus in the case of the HP DV6z, its a free upgrade).

As far as the Dell part goes, the mail in option will save you $55 and it has all of the same benefits as the pre-selected service option-minus the time aspect.

The Tom's review of the new AMD hybrid system:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a8-3500m-llano-apu,2959-2.html

The laptop from HP:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=High+performance&series_name=dv6zqe_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/notebooks/High_performance/dv6zqe_series&aoid=35252

7fornikhil

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011

Whats your budget?

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
My budget is $1.5k, which could buy an aggressive gaming laptop, but I previously bought one of those and now I'm more interested in size, look, and battery life without compromising performance. In reality I posted the 'ordinary' version of the ENVY I'm buying. I'm actually buying the beats version because I want the flat black laptop, they both offer the same parts. I didn't need some pretentious thread view to ask me if I value sound <........this much........>. It's my preferences and my money, I want the looks of the black beats edition.

Based on the Llano review I posted, it would be similar to the Whistler PRO DDR3 version, but since it is its own unique creation from AMD, I honestly don't know. I can promise you one thing: as an integrated GPU on a laptop, it's going to be timed to the memory, which is DDR3.

As far as the HDD goes...speed or power? The 5.4k will use a less power on average, but will also spin longer as it takes longer to seek data. The 7.2k will boot up faster, load programs faster, but use your battery faster. This is one of the cases were upgrading in the future is possible. I would go for the slower HDD and wait till I had a couple bucks saved after a while, then go buy a sufficient SSD. It will boost everything significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.