[SOLVED] Suggestion for improving fps

rajuplays

Prominent
Nov 11, 2018
You need dual channel RAM from a kit, not mix and match or they might not be compatible. Choose a kit with a total of at least 8GB 3000+MHz.
In the link of the test your RAM is clocked at 2400 so XMP is not enabled.

SSD will improve load times of everything but not your FPS.

What is the make and model of your PSU?

rajuplays

Prominent
Nov 11, 2018
You need dual channel RAM from a kit, not mix and match or they might not be compatible. Choose a kit with a total of at least 8GB 3000+MHz.

weird now when i went and allocated 2gb ram for gpu it increased my fps to 47
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/25259930
before it was on auto

and xmp was really enabled even before, is it enabled in new test?

rajuplays

Prominent
Nov 11, 2018

can u check from live desktop is ur xmp is enabled? i think it turns off itself after reboot.

rajuplays

Prominent
Nov 11, 2018
I am not saying you should put it back at 64MB but you should not put it at 2GB either. Not until you have more RAM in your system.
Btw Dotas1 i think rather than buying 2 sticks of ram for $120, I will buy RX 580 for $160 and get way more performance. Old ram stick of 8gb won't be wasted and GPU will get its own 4gb Ram which is enough I guess. But will have to buy a good PSU too for the extra 180 watt.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Btw Dotas1 i think rather than buying 2 sticks of ram for $120, I will buy RX 580 for $160 and get way more performance. Old ram stick of 8gb won't be wasted and GPU will get its own 4gb Ram which is enough I guess.
Uhh, no?
1)Isn't DotA more cpu heavy than gpu?

2)You're also playing on a lower resolution; that's going to rely more on cpu horsepower than gpu.
As you go up in resolution and graphics settings = greater gpu workload, less cpu. Vice versa, it's the opposite.
You will benefit less from the same gpu upgrade than someone running on 1080p; 1600x900 is significantly fewer pixels than 1920x1080p, by 44%.

3)Single channel memory configurations USED to be ok for games; not anymore. Putting an RX 580 in there now will just exacerbate the current cpu limitation due to the lack of memory bandwidth.
Sure, you'll get higher fps maximums, but the minimums will hardly improve, if at all.

4)"Old ram stick of 8gb won't be wasted and GPU will get its own 4gb Ram which is enough I guess."
That is wrong. Gpu Vram and System Ram are 2 different things, and have different purposes.

5)The RX 580 will punish cheap psus. There is a safer alternative in the GTX 1650 Super.

1)Isn't DotA more cpu heavy than gpu?
I agree with everything you said but OP never mentioned DotA, it's just my nickname in these forums!

Btw Dotas1 i think rather than buying 2 sticks of ram for $120, I will buy RX 580 for $160 and get way more performance. Old ram stick of 8gb won't be wasted and GPU will get its own 4gb Ram which is enough I guess. But will have to buy a good PSU too for the extra 180 watt.
As @Phaaze88 said, you will benefit a lot from dual channel memory and you will gain just a little bit from a discrete GPU if you still have low amount of single channel RAM. Also 2 sticks of RAM does not necessarily cost 120$. There are plenty of options that go even as low as 70-80$.