[SOLVED] Suggestion for System Replacement Build

bzowk

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Hey Guys -

I'm a tech enthusiast who's been building custom PCs for years. I've upgraded my primary home system for a few years to the point where the next step will unfortunately require me purchasing a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM. Since this is such a big investment and I'm not rich, I wanted to post here to get suggestions for what I should go with. Below are the specs of my current system, what I use it for, and a few notes...

The PC crashed today and the only way to get it back running was by removing the overclock which has been applied for over a year with no issues. Due to that, I don't know how much longer the hardware will last so need to get something soon.

Current System Specs
  • Intel I7-3770k CPU @ 3.50Ghz (Overclocked to 4.0Ghz until today)
  • Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
  • 32gb RAM DDR3-1600 (x4 G Skill RipjawsX F3-1600C9-8GXM)
  • Storage: 14 Total Disks
    • C:\ - 256gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD (OS & Apps)
    • D:\ - 43.5tb disk pool - 11 disk (10 platter + 1 SSD managed by Stablebit used for file & media storage)
    • E:\ - 1tb Hybrid SSD - ST1000LM014-1EJ164 (Game installs)
    • V:\ - 256gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD (VR Installs)
  • 1000 Watt Power Supply
  • Windows 10 x64 1809
  • PCIe & Peripherals
    • GeForce GTX 970 (4 GB)
    • Fresco Logic USB 3.0 xHCI Controller (PCIe Card that Adds x4 USB3 ports)
    • HighPoint RocketRAID 2720 SAS Controller (Provides additional SATA ports for pool)
    • Oculus Rift, 3 Sensors, & Touch Controllers (Takes 4 USB ports alone)
    • x2 monitors
    • Huge tower with much cooling running off of GRID Fan Controller
    • Numerous USB devices
What I Use it For
  • Work which involves numerous apps being open simultaneously so much multitasking
  • File share host for media on disk pool - usually accessed via SMB
  • Web Host - Hosts some python-based apps on various ports which automate certain system aspects
  • Gaming - playing the most recent games at best settings it can handle. This includes streaming games using GeForce Experience
  • VR - I keep my Oculus Rift connected at all times
Notes
  • The PC stays on 24/7
  • The new motherboard must have
    • At least 6 6gbps SATA ports so that combined with my RocketRAID I'll have enough for all disks
    • At least 3 PCIe ports for cards - would like at least 1 extra just in case
    • Preferably at least 2 extra internal USB headers for GRID fan Controller & Power Supply
  • At idle, the PC currently uses ~40% of RAM and ~25% CPU
  • I've offloaded as much as possible from the system including VM hosting, many of the python hosts, and my Plex server so can probably do 16gb RAM
  • Again, I'm not rich but want something solid that would still be an improvement over what I have now plus not be outdated in 2 months - even if it costs a small bit more
So... given the above, what would you suggest be the ideal motherboard / CPU / RAM replacement? If you have any other suggestions or ideas, please let me know.

Thanks!!

Solution
This is a pretty solid upgrade:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bCC8Bb
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bCC8Bb/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor ($168.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - X470 Master SLI/AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($133.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport AT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($199.95 @ B&H)
Total: $502.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-21 00:03 EST-0500

The Ryzen is first gen but packs 8 cores which will give you plenty of performance, the X470 Master is pretty solid and reliable motherboard and has wifi as well all the ports you need.
This is a pretty solid upgrade:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bCC8Bb
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bCC8Bb/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor ($168.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - X470 Master SLI/AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($133.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport AT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($199.95 @ B&H)
Total: $502.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-21 00:03 EST-0500

The Ryzen is first gen but packs 8 cores which will give you plenty of performance, the X470 Master is pretty solid and reliable motherboard and has wifi as well all the ports you need.

Solution
You didn't state your budget for the upgrade, that's an important info we need.

Which 1000w psu are you using? Make and model and how old it is?

Which cooler do you use? The cpu was not thermal throttling I assume?

Since the 3770k is a 4c8t cpu, a ryzen 2600X or similar would suffice?

bzowk

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Hey Guys -

Really appreciate the info. Below are the answers to your questions plus a couple of my own with comments...

Answers
  • What's my budget?: Good question as depends on mood of wife :) It must not be over $1000, but ideally should also include a GPU upgrade as well. I currently have a 970 GTX which is the bare minimum for VR and you can tell in AAA releases
  • Which 1000w PSU?: It's a CORSAIR HXi Series HX1000i which I purchased and installed in mid-2015
  • Which CPU Cooler? It's a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. To note, the cooler came with a single 120mm fan. I've since added another 120mm fan to the other side making it a push/pull build which pushes to a 140mm case fan that's about 2-3 inches away. Finally, I use a NZXT Grid+ V3 Fan Controller which has 6 channels which is controlled by Grid Control off GitHub (NZXT software sucked). The 6 channels are configured as follows:
    • Channel 1: 140mm fan the 212 pushes to going outside case - Speed relative to CPU Package sensor
    • Channel 2: 200mm fan in Front of case at top - Speed relative to average temp of MB sensors
    • Channel 3: Pair of 212 CPU Push/Pull fans (spliced together) - Speed relative to CPU Package sensor
    • Channel 4: 200mm fan in Front of case at bottom - Speed relative to average temp of MB sensors
    • Channel 5: 200mm fan in Top of case at front - Speed relative to average temp of MB sensors
    • Channel 6: 200mm fan in Top of case at rear - Speed relative to average temp of MB sensors
    • Screenshot of fan config - Note that since MB temp wasn't an option, I reconfigured the "GPU Temp" sensors as such:

• publicpreview.php

My Questions / Comments
  1. Did you choose AMD due to price vs performance? I've tried to stick with Intel usually as I've read in the past that AMD hasn't been compatible with things such as GPU hardware acceleration with my Nvidia card requiring Intel CPU, but don't do much of that on this system so isn't a deal breaker. Just curious
  2. If you'd like to suggest a GPU upgrade as well, it would need to be Nvidia since I use GeForce Experience with my Nvidia Shield Portable as well as Moonlight on a couple Android devices. An upgrade for a 970 would probably start at ~$400, so not sure if there's much that could be done as a 1070 starts at about that which I'd imagine wouldn't be too much of a noticeable difference.
  3. As this system hosts my disk pool, I use a LOT of bandwidth therefore WiFi wouldn't be used. Doubt it would make a difference in selecting a board, but just providing info
  4. I realize this system does a ton, but since not hosting VMs anymore, do you think there's be a need for 32gb of RAM? If you think the funds for the additional 16gb could be better allocated to a better CPU, MB, or faster RAM, please let me know. As of writing, the system has been up for almost 24 hours and is using 50% of the 32gb however am sure it's only using it because it's there. Here's a map of my ram currently if it provides any info:
  5. publicpreview.php
Think that covers it - please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks again!