[SOLVED] Suggestion on camera purchase ?

SoumithCS

Reputable
Oct 6, 2020
Hi there tom-hardies!
I want to purchase a camera for photography. The requirements are as follows:

• Street Photography
  • Normal Low Light Photography
  • Product Showcase
  • Personal Photography(Selfies, Stills, Group photos, family vacation)
  • Movie recording

Here are the cameras that are within my budget:
  1. Sony Alpha ZV-E10L: Amazon.in
  2. Sony Alpha ILCE 6100L: Amazon.in
  3. Canon 200D MarkII: Amazon.in
  4. Canon M50 MarkII: Amazon.in

I mostly intend to buy the ZV-E10L but I am resonating in choosing between ZV-E10L and a 6100l. Both canons are average but their lens is not interchangeable with other models like the R-Series and Full-frame series. Would like to hear your recommendations and suggestion for the above cameras.

Solution
Thanks Mr.Kanewolf for your suggestion. I have already looked reviews from B&H, saw various rating sites and many YT vids. All I am asking is what would you prefer if you only had these 4 options. In terms of ergonomics both Sony's are similar and Canons are a bit deviating. Aside of ergonomics what will be your choice.
I would NEVER buy a camera without handling it.
A camera is just a tool, like a saw. If you don't measure correctly your cuts won't be any good. You need to understand how to use your tool. The difference between spot metering and average metering. Understand bracketing, especially for your desired low light photography. Understand depth of field for your street photography. Understand how to...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi there tom-hardies!
I want to purchase a camera for photography. The requirements are as follows:

• Street Photography
  • Normal Low Light Photography
  • Product Showcase
  • Personal Photography(Selfies, Stills, Group photos, family vacation)
  • Movie recording
Here are the cameras that are within my budget:
  1. Sony Alpha ZV-E10L: Amazon.in
  2. Sony Alpha ILCE 6100L: Amazon.in
  3. Canon 200D MarkII: Amazon.in
  4. Canon M50 MarkII: Amazon.in
I mostly intend to buy the ZV-E10L but I am resonating in choosing between ZV-E10L and a 6100l. Both canons are average but their lens is not interchangeable with other models like the R-Series and Full-frame series. Would like to hear your recommendations and suggestion for the above cameras.

Have you actually handled any of the cameras? The physical size and layout of the controls, in YOUR hands is just as important as anything else.
The site for all things about digital cameras is -- https://www.dpreview.com/

USAFRet

Titan
Among the interchangeable lens cameras (DSLR and mirrorless), it is actually hard to buy a bad one.

They ALL take very good images.
You'd have to really get down to the individual pixel level to tell the difference between a new Sony or Canon and my 8 year old Fuji X-T1.

As mentioned above, ergonomics is a major factor.
Also, you are buying into a whole ecosystem, not just a single camera and the kit lens.

Look and compare ALL the features of the ones on your list.

SoumithCS

Reputable
Oct 6, 2020
Have you actually handled any of the cameras? The physical size and layout of the controls, in YOUR hands is just as important as anything else.
The sight for all things about digital cameras is -- https://www.dpreview.com/
Thanks Mr.Kanewolf for your suggestion. I have already looked reviews from B&H, saw various rating sites and many YT vids. All I am asking is what would you prefer if you only had these 4 options. In terms of ergonomics both Sony's are similar and Canons are a bit deviating. Aside of ergonomics what will be your choice.

SoumithCS

Reputable
Oct 6, 2020
Among the interchangeable lens cameras (DSLR and mirrorless), it is actually hard to buy a bad one.

They ALL take very good images.
You'd have to really get down to the individual pixel level to tell the difference between a new Sony or Canon and my 8 year old Fuji X-T1.

As mentioned above, ergonomics is a major factor.
Also, you are buying into a whole ecosystem, not just a single camera and the kit lens.

Look and compare ALL the features of the ones on your list.
Thanks USAFRet. I know that old full-frames and high-end dslrs are get value but in Indian market, it is really hard to obtain them as they circulate among photographer studios. All I am asking is, can you tell me what would you prefer If you only had to choose between the above cameras if you had to make an quick purchase?

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks USAFRet. I know that old full-frames and high-end dslrs are get value but in Indian market, it is really hard to obtain them as they circulate among photographer studios. All I am asking is, can you tell me what would you prefer If you only had to choose between the above cameras if you had to make an quick purchase?
Comparison:
https://www.dpreview.com/products/c...m50ii&products=sony_a6100&products=sony_zve10

Feature for feature, all 4 are pretty similar.

I'd probably go with one of the Canon's, mainly due to the larger Canon ecosystem.
Other than that...flip a coin.

SoumithCS

Reputable
Oct 6, 2020

USAFRet

Titan
Canons lens are limited and overpriced in our area. If you have any experience with the Sony Cams, which one of two would you pick?
No experience with the Sony's.

But....Probably the ZV. Newer model.

But....the ZV has no viewfinder. You MUST do everything via the screen.

So maybe not the ZV.

This is where looking at the whole thing is beneficial.

Reactions: SoumithCS

kanewolf

Titan
I would NEVER buy a camera without handling it.
A camera is just a tool, like a saw. If you don't measure correctly your cuts won't be any good. You need to understand how to use your tool. The difference between spot metering and average metering. Understand bracketing, especially for your desired low light photography. Understand depth of field for your street photography. Understand how to "force" the camera to do what YOU want with depth of field by biasing the aperture larger or smaller. Take some classes if you want to use you camera to the max.
You also need accessories. Monopod or tripod for low light. Product photography you should look at a "light tent" for small items. Movie recording, you should verify what external microphone connectivity each camera has.
I personally have had only Canon equipment since the 1980s.

Solution