Suggestion on gaming system

hubbster

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2002
Hello, Looking to build another gaming system, but been a few years. Currently have Dell XPS M1710 that is almost 4 years old so anything will be an improvement. This is what i have looked at so far on newegg. Any suggestions on GPU? I thought the dual 460 would be a better option than single more expensive card. I also want to get more into overclocking so thought this rampage was a good choice. Thanks for any suggestions or info. Case- COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case MB- 1 ASUS Rampage III Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard CPU 1 Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950 RAM- 2 Kingston HyperX T1 Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400) Desktop Memory Model KHX1800C9D3T1FK3/6GX PSU- 1 Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD GPU- 2 ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card SSD Corsair Force CSSD-F120GB2-BRKT 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) HD 1 Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard DVD 1 ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner DVD 2 LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner - Bulk SATA WH10LS30 LightScribe Support OS Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders Heatsink Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler Monitor- 1 SAMSUNG P2770FH ToC Rose Black 27" 1ms Full HD HDMI LCD Monitor Mouse Saitek CCB437080002/04/1 Black USB Wired Laser Cyborg R.A.T. 7 Gaming Mouse

Atotalnoob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
wait for sandy bridge to come out jan 5th

If you cannot wait follwo the below
What is your full budget?

Any suggestions on GPU? I thought the dual 460 would be a better option than single more expensive card.
Well, you can do two 460's.... but 1 more expensive GPU is better, because you can do SLI down the road....
also want to get more into overclocking so thought this rampage was a good choice.
Or Asus Sabertooth....
RAM- 2 Kingston HyperX T1 Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400) Desktop Memory Model KHX1800C9D3T1FK3/6GX
Kingston isn't that good as some of the other RAM brands... Get G.skill 6 gigs http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231247 ~ 129.99 or more expensive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231335

PSU- 1 Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD
You don't need that large of a PSU, but it allows you to upgrade/futureproof.... =D

GPU- 2 ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
I'd wait for 6900 series to come out....

SSD Corsair Force CSSD-F120GB2-BRKT 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Meh on corsair drives... get anything Sandforce, my fav drive currently is Mushkin SSD (120gig) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226152&cm_re=mushkin_ssd-_-20-226-152-_-Product ~ 235.99 But I've heard the OCZ drives are the best.....

HD 1 Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard
WD stinks compared to Spinpoint =DD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185&cm_re=spintpoint_F3-_-22-152-185-_-Product ~ 69.99

Internal Hard DVD 1 ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner DVD 2 LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner - Bulk SATA WH10LS30 LightScribe Support
not quite sure if that is two drives? I advise a Blu-ray and a DVD, if you are getting Blu-ray....

OS Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders
Do you have a reason for getting pro? or just wanted to spend more? =p

Heatsink Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
I prefer Hyper 212 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065 ~ 30$ or if you are set on going for a good OC, get H70... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181013&Tpk=H70 ~109.99

Monitor- 1 SAMSUNG P2770FH ToC Rose Black 27" 1ms Full HD HDMI LCD Monitor
I perfer ASUS VH236H monitor for cheaper http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID= ~ 189.99
This is for more expensive builds... Acer http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009222 ~ 359.99

Mouse Saitek CCB437080002/04/1 Black USB Wired Laser Cyborg R.A.T. 7 Gaming Mouse
No comment on Micezzz.... but you don't have a keyboard... just a FYI. I think you know, but... sometimes peeps forget ....

Edited for mistake in BBC

mattimeo005

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
If all you want is a gaming system, there is absolutely no reason to go with a 1366 platform. Reason being, there are very few games out there (very few programs, even) that are able to fully utilize 8 threads. Some even don't use 4 fully. So it is a complete waste of money to build a 1366 system for the sole purpose of gaming. The argument is made in more a little more detail here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-core-i3-athlon-ii-x4,2791-5.html

But the bottom line is that with 2 GTX460s, an i5-760 is already more than enough processing power to push the cards to their limit, so there is really no reason to go with the more expensive i7s. Now, if you were going to try a 3 or 4 way SLI, then sure, go with the i7, but keep in mind that you will have to pick a different gfx card, because the GTX460s can ONLY do 2-way SLI.

It looks like you tried to throw together what you thought would be the best possible system, with money being of no concern. If that is the case, and you want to ensure your computer is futureproof as long as possible, then I would suggest upgrading from the 460s to something more powerful, like the GTX480 or 500-series, or the AMD6900 series that is on the horizon.

Like the previous poster, I would also suggest waiting for sandy bridge to come out for two reasons. First, sandy bridge will probably be faster than the i7s, so you could build an even more futureproof system. Second, the i7s will likely drop in price, so you will be able to build your system for less.

I will also say that Spinpoint F3 is a much better HDD than WD caviar black, and that 120gb of SSD space is more than necessary. A 64gb HDD can hold about 3 installed games at a time, and 120gb will be able to hold around 9-10 games. So unless you need to have that many games ready to go at a moment's notice, I would suggest saving some money and going with a 64gb or 90gb SSD.

Atotalnoob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
If all you want is a gaming system, there is absolutely no reason to go with a 1366 platform. Reason being, there are very few games out there (very few programs, even) that are able to fully utilize 8 threads. Some even don't use 4 fully. So it is a complete waste of money to build a 1366 system for the sole purpose of gaming. The argument is made in more a little more detail here: http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] 791-5.html
Future proofing.... The i7 is a great CPU... Sure you can get away with a i5, but Battlefield 3 is going to be 64 bit... and that is just the first...

But the bottom line is that with 2 GTX460s, an i5-760 is already more than enough processing power to push the cards to their limit, so there is really no reason to go with the more expensive i7s. Now, if you were going to try a 3 or 4 way SLI, then sure, go with the i7, but keep in mind that you will have to pick a different gfx card, because the GTX460s can ONLY do 2-way SLI.
Don't ever do more then 2 gpus, triple and quad gpus stink... not worth it

I will also say that Spinpoint F3 is a much better HDD than WD caviar black, and that 120gb of SSD space is more than necessary. A 64gb HDD can hold about 3 installed games at a time, and 120gb will be able to hold around 9-10 games. So unless you need to have that many games ready to go at a moment's notice, I would suggest saving some money and going with a 64gb or 90gb SSD.
soooooooo larger storage is not a good idea? if it fits, buy it!

mattimeo005

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010

I fail to see how BF3 being 64-bit means you need more threads.

3 and 4-way SLI scales just as well as 2-way SLI. The only reason you don't see multi-SLI setups more often is that you need multiple 2560x1600 monitors to see any differences, and these monitors are not that wide spread yet. Not to mention you would need 3+ of these huge monitors to see a difference.

Also, by saying that multi-way SLI sucks, you just agreed with me that i7 is not necessary, since the i5 can do the job of pushing ANY 2 cards just fine. So yes, anything more than 2-way SLI is total overkill, and so is the i7 for gaming. Though, if you're doing some photo or video processing, then of course the i7 is the way to go.

Sure, but only if you're swimming in money. My point was that you can save money and still get just as much performance benefit. If you're willing to uninstall your games after you've played them, there's no reason to keep them on your drive. Personally, I keep all my games in .iso form on my HDD, then install them to SSD when I feel like playing them, so larger SSD is just a waste of money.

The only argument for buying a larger SSD, is that some companies actually include better controllers in the larger drives, meaning better write performance in most cases, and in some cases even better read. If you're buying a drive from one of the brands that does this, then yes, get the 128gb drive for the better performance, but not for the extra space.

Atotalnoob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
I fail to see how BF3 being 64-bit means you need more threads.
Well, Bad company 2 already uses 4 cores, soo it being 64 bit will probably mean it is going to be optimized for better CPUs and more threads.... dice brings their A game to all their games... (no pun intended)....

3 and 4-way SLI scales just as well as 2-way SLI. The only reason you don't see multi-SLI setups more often is that you need multiple 2560x1600 monitors to see any differences, and these monitors are not that wide spread yet. Not to mention you would need 3+ of these huge monitors to see a difference.

Also, by saying that multi-way SLI sucks, you just agreed with me that i7 is not necessary, since the i5 can do the job of pushing ANY 2 cards just fine. So yes, anything more than 2-way SLI is total overkill, and so is the i7 for gaming. Though, if you're doing some photo or video processing, then of course the i7 is the way to go.
*sigh* not really.... prove to me trpiple and quad SLI perform better? having several monitors lets you divide the GPUs between them, sooo naturally you'll see difference there. Why NOT get an i7?If he wants to run games later on(few years from now) an i5 will be more bottlenecked then an i7, he can upgrade an i7 better.

Sure, but only if you're swimming in money. My point was that you can save money and still get just as much performance benefit. If you're willing to uninstall your games after you've played them, there's no reason to keep them on your drive. Personally, I keep all my games in .iso form on my HDD, then install them to SSD when I feel like playing them, so larger SSD is just a waste of money.

The only argument for buying a larger SSD, is that some companies actually include better controllers in the larger drives, meaning better write performance in most cases, and in some cases even better read. If you're buying a drive from one of the brands that does this, then yes, get the 128gb drive for the better performance, but not for the extra space.
I'm not "swimming in money" and I purchased a 120 gig SSD... (arrives tooooomorrow!!!) You can use the extra space, so you don't have to install/uninstall a bunch of games, sure it is quicker with a SSD, but the time can be used in different ways.... Good point on the larger=better controllers

hubbster

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2002
I am not swimming in money definitely. I just want to buy a system that I can upgrade reasonably well and remain relevant for a few years. My original thought on the graphics cards was goin cheaper and then upgrading to a better one in 6 months or more down the road. I am torn on waiting for the sandy bridge. I am not sure I would be in the market for it right away anways based on what will be im sure a very high cost, but possibly the i7 will decrease in cost at that point too? Wow takes up about 30gb on my current drive so that lead me to think if I might be best served with a larger drive to allow 3or or 4 to be loaded on it at one time. My laptop has 100gb HD and is always getting full and I have to move junk to my external drive. It also gets veryhot anymore to the touch when Im playing wow or watching videos, so I'm guessing my days are limited before it craps out. I do really appreciate all the information. I am very much a novice at this, and have only built one other system in the past (although I greatly enjoyed the experience a laptop suited my needs better when it was time to upgrade). Any suggestions on cases? I went cheap the first time and regreted it everytime I worked with the case after that as it was cramped and cut me all the time. Also do you all recomend 6 or 12gb ram? I hope to start playing more of the current games besides wow, but this current system has limited me in that aspect so kind of behind the times. Thanks again.

mattimeo005

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Well if WOW takes up 30gb, then you'll definitely need more than 64gb, as windows alone takes up about 30gb. But then again, you might just have to bite the bullet on WOW and keep it on your HDD.

As far as cases, I built my current system into a CoolerMaster Storm Scout. Runs for about $75 normally, but it's on sale a lot and you should be able to nab it for $50 like I did. There are a bunch of good cases out there though, Antec 300 is a popular one here.

You will only need 6gb of RAM, unless you're running a ton of background programs behind your games. I have 8gb in my i5 system, but I have never used more than 4gb except when doing benchmarks.

I think what will do you a lot of good is to sift through some of the articles that are on here, paying close attention to real world application benchmarks, and see what the authors have to say about various build choices. Read about graphics card options, and CPUs, and learn what bottlenecking is and how to build a "balanced" system. It will help you pass the time while you wait a month for Sandy Bridge, and you'll be much more knowledgeable when it comes time to make your purchases, so you will be able to buy with confidence.

Atotalnoob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Well if WOW takes up 30gb, then you'll definitely need more than 64gb, as windows alone takes up about 30gb. But then again, you might just have to bite the bullet on WOW and keep it on your HDD.
I really want to know were you read this stuff, my windows only takes 15 gigs =p ('tis home premium 64 bit).... From what I've gathered with my friend playing WOW, is you don't "bite the bullet" you go all out for WOW.... lol

As far as cases, I built my current system into a CoolerMaster Storm Scout. Runs for about $75 normally, but it's on sale a lot and you should be able to nab it for $50 like I did. There are a bunch of good cases out there though, Antec 300 is a popular one here.
Storm is fine... I think it went back up(after being on sale for cybermondy/BF) I personally like the Antec 300 more... but that is more personal then performance based... ^.^http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066 ~ 69.99

I think what will do you a lot of good is to sift through some of the articles that are on here, paying close attention to real world application benchmarks, and see what the authors have to say about various build choices. Read about graphics card options, and CPUs, and learn what bottlenecking is and how to build a "balanced" system. It will help you pass the time while you wait a month for Sandy Bridge, and you'll be much more knowledgeable when it comes time to make your purchases, so you will be able to buy with confidence.
I did that... it was mental agony(probably just me, I can stew on anything, it is a horrible trait....) knowing EXACTLY what I wanted, but waiting.... lol

cut me all the time.
get knail filez and file it... I always do it on my cases, no matter what....(Yes I know how to spell nail files....)
Also do you all recomend 6 or 12gb ram?
6 gigs.... I have 6 and I run a BUNCH of stuff in the background + a "in-game" browser that takes a gig of RAM, and a game that pulls a gig, and I only top out at 4 gigs, max....
I just want to buy a system that I can upgrade reasonably well and remain relevant for a few years.
then wait for SB.... I did that with an i7, and that is the key, if you are into building new systems alot, get the cheaper, other then that, it is worth the greenbacks to put it into the system...

I am not swimming in money definitely
Don't we wish we did? =p..... (not to be pompous or anything, but I make just under 600k(US) a year....[I win, but I am frugal as *insert something here*])

Edited for mistake in BBC.... I hate BBC....