Suggestion/Question About Notifications

I'm just wondering why there are two notification area's ? There is a new notifications box in the top right hand corner above the notifications window that is already there ? Why are we duplicating features ?

On the subject of notifications would it be possible to put an alert/prompt somewhere to remind a user that they have a thread that needs a best answer selecting ?
Moving forward as a proposal,
This could possibly then be coupled with a best answer overdue notification on the thread for those who feel the need or want to assist the community by selecting best answers.
This would then give clear demarcation and remove any possible issues with people jumping the gun on best answer selection.
I don't believe we have had an issue with this its more an initial idea that has developed as I am typing.

Mac :)

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
We're hoping to, at some point, eliminate the need for the column on the right-hand side. Many users have requested more reading space in the main body content area, and this is a step in that direction. We do send an email when a Best Answer needs selecting, but a notification or a PM might be helpful as well.