Suggestions for a new heat sink - intel i7-920 on ASUS p6t deluxe v2 Motherboard

SuziAmberson

Reputable
May 8, 2014
Hello!

In the past week, been getting the "CPU over tempeture" error on my 4 year old custom build. It was working fine but kept getting the error only when I shut down and rebooted. Yesterday, system was running fine and was not running hot to the touch. Then it just shut down completely. Searched the forums for an answer and found a suggestion to uninstall the heatsink and reapply the thermal paste. So I uninstalled the stock heat sink that came with my Intel i7-920 CPU, cleaned off the old thermal paste and applied new artic silver 5 as instructed here: http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_application_method.html#. When I went to reinstall the heat sink, I noticed one of the plastic clips was broken and I was unable to secure the heat sink properly. I was thinking of getting this after market heat sink but was not sure it would fit on my MB. http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-RR-212E-20PK-R2/dp/B005O65JXI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=12MR5AI0E4ZQW&coliid=IGL3JEZYBGBQ8

Was not sure because of the extended copper tubing. If this will not fit, does anyone have a suggestion for an alternate heat sink?? A friend helped me select the components and I build the computer 4 years ago. I'm a 3D artist and use a few low end 3d modeling apps, Photoshop and a 3D rendering app. I have not over locked my PC and it has run perfectly for the past 4 years. :). Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Specs:

CPU: Intel i7-920, LGA1366, 2.66 GHz
Heat sink: stock intel E29477-002 (came with the CPU)
PSU: corsair Hx1000w
RAM: 12gb Corsair Dominator GT, 2000MHz (6x2GB modules with 2 -60mm fans)
MB: ASUS p6T Deluxe V2-LGA 1366 Intel x58 ATX Intel MB (not over clocked)
Case: corsair 800d - Steel ATX full Tower
Video Card: pNY- Quadro FX 3700 512MB, 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x 16
Hard Drive: western digital 1tb 7200 Rpm sata 3.0gb
DVD/CD: Sony Optiarc 24x - saga model
Windows 7 professional 64bit OEM