Suggestions for a nice 24" IPS or VA display?

ronaldmcdonald

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
This will be mainly used for viewing movies and gaming. Budget is $300-$500 CDN. The moniter will be hooked up to an evga gtx 570. Will not be doing any video or photo editing.

List of desired features from most important to least

-Matte display with IPS panels and LED backlight or maybe a VA

-Good true contrast ratio (not just some exaggerated DCR)

-Ideally 24", but anywhere from 23-27" would be okay.

-Decent response time (10 ms GTG or lower)

-No backlight bleeding

-Displayport

-Limited to resolutions of either 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 (due to budget)

Solution
Solution
Well, that makes it more difficult because unless you are willing to spend at least $500 CAD, then you'll probably have to settle on a 6 bit e-IPS panel monitor.

You may want to consider the NEC EA231WMi. It has an e-IPS panel monitor, but graphic artists who compares it to the Dell U2311h (which also uses an e-IPS panel) stated that the NEC has no issues with color banding as there is on the Dell. This leads many to believe that the NEC uses an 8-bit e-IPS panel.

The majority of e-IPS panel manufactured by LG Display are 6-bit panels, including all the ones with WLED backlight. However, they do manufacture a 21.5" and 23" e-IPS panel which are 8-bit panels. Thus, supporting the evidence that the NEC EA231WMi has an 8-bit panel.

However, the NEC does not have any response time compensation to speed up response times so it is listed as 14ms. Here's a review:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/nec_ea231wmi.htm

ronaldmcdonald

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011

So Dell had a weekend sale, lowered it from 600 to 450 CDN. I called a sales rep, bargained a bit and got it down to $405+tax. I felt like there are even more wiggle room, but I guess it's still better than no discount.

TRENDING THREADS