Suggestions for a Sata3 controller

Lucian Dragos

Honorable
May 10, 2013
TL;DR Need a cheap and reliable PCIe 2.0 1X Sata3 Controller and I have no need for raid...

I'm looking for a decent PCIe 2.0 1X Sata3 controller for an old rig that only has Sata2 onboard... I need something reliable but not too pricey and don't need raid..

It's for an old gaming rig I dug up for my 10y/o niece when she moved in with me. It has a C2Q Q9550, 8Gb DDR3 ram and a 4Gb GTX680 and while it might have problems with the latest and greatest, It does run most fairly recent games that don't need SSE4.2 pretty well.
But the Sata2 controller and seems to be a sticking point for games that stream a lot in from the HDD during play, Such as open world games like Fallout, Skyrim (non-SE) and GTA IV/EFLC.

Frame rates are decent once an area is fully loaded but as you cross the map it stumbles quite a bit as things try loading in... Now I played Skyrim on this HDD (on a sata3 port) and Video card before and it ran fine, And the CPU is better then I had back when that game was new so the only weak point I can see is the Sata2 interface. So I'm hoping an Sata3 card and an SSD with help smooth it out.

TRENDING THREADS