[SOLVED] Suggestions for alternative to Epson Perfection V600 Photo Scanner?

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Hi there,

I'm looking to purchase an Epson Perfection V600 photo scanner like the one shown here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Epson-Perfection-V600-Photo-Scanner/dp/B002TAA3MY/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=epson+v600&qid=1594291767&sr=8-1&th=1

I wanted to get one in order to scan artwork that I've done on paper. It is very well regarded for scanning watercolor artwork for example due to its high quality 6400dpi resolution scanning capabilities. It also allows people to scan there film negatives.
However it is out of stock in my country at the moment with no definite date stated whether it will be available again.

I'm just wondering could someone recommend an alternative photo scanner that has the equivalent scanning resolution(6400dpi). I've searched online for alternatives but I can't seem to find one that has the 6400DPI scanning quality.

Any helpful information would be appreciated!

Solution
I have come across the Canon LiDE 400 which has a 4800 dpi scanner on Amazon. Do you think most people wouldn't notice the difference between a 4800 dpi scanner and a 6400 dpi scanner when it comes to scanned artwork? I've been told that scanning things at 6400 dpi is almost unnecessary..

Correct, even 4800 dpi is a bit of an overkill, it depends on the size of the final product from the scan. For example the recommended scan dpi for a photo to even blow it up to letter size is 600.

https://www.contrado.com/blog/scanning-artwork/

Getting a well reviewed 4800 dpi scanner is just fine for you, first of all let's say someone will look at the scan, unless there is one right next to them of the same work done at 6400 there...

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Other models in the series can do that high DPI, V550 and their higher models.

If you can't find anything then you may just need to drop to something like a 4800 dpi scanner which is still very good.

I have come across the Canon LiDE 400 which has a 4800 dpi scanner on Amazon. Do you think most people wouldn't notice the difference between a 4800 dpi scanner and a 6400 dpi scanner when it comes to scanned artwork? I've been told that scanning things at 6400 dpi is almost unnecessary..

Last edited:

Correct, even 4800 dpi is a bit of an overkill, it depends on the size of the final product from the scan. For example the recommended scan dpi for a photo to even blow it up to letter size is 600.

https://www.contrado.com/blog/scanning-artwork/

Getting a well reviewed 4800 dpi scanner is just fine for you, first of all let's say someone will look at the scan, unless there is one right next to them of the same work done at 6400 there is no way they will be able to compare it properly, even then the difference may only come up of one print is double the size or with a magnifying glass. For example would you be able to tell if a chef cooked one pot of soup with 30 grams of salt or with 40 grams without having the two next to each other to compare? Or if it was 30 and 35, you may not tell the difference for sure even with the two bowls in front of you, you may say "I THINK this is more salty but not really sure".

Besides, it's art, just have people assume any flaws are part of the "soul of the artist expressing through the flaw to show how humans are not perfect". Art, wine, etc.. all tend to work just fine with a bit of ** LOL How else can anyone explain why a Pollock paint splatter is worth 100 million while my kids are only 30 cents?

Last edited:
Solution