Question Suggestions for compatible USB hard drive

molly_dog

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
I'm looking for USB hard drives that are compatible with Windows Server 2016 Essentials for system backups.

When I installed the new system I carried over a WD Elements 2.0TB drive that worked OK with 2011 Essential but it was always squirrelly and is now unrecognized by the OS.

Under the advice of WD, I formatted the Elements and it kind of worked but I'm guessing it's probably dead in the water.

Have been shopping around but not finding much that specifies any variant of Server 2016.

Appreciate your help!

Lutfij

Titan
Does your server have USB connectivity? If so, then pretty much any drive on the market is open to purchase. I've had WD portable drives fail on me, until I cracked open the housing and retrieved the SATA driven HDD and connected it to a desktop/system.

molly_dog

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
OK thanks. It's a Dell T-100. It doesn't have many USB ports but it's got a couple. Just wasn't sure about the server OS. I don't have the budget for a true server external hard drive. LOL We've got cloud backup but have to have local copies.

I'm going to steer clear of WD this go round. I love their desktop drives but this is the 3rd external I've had fail. Like you, I cracked the case, removed the case electronics, and two of the drives reside in other PCs.

Thanks again for the assist! Have a great holiday weekend!